The HiFi thread

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I think once I'm up and about a bit more I'll drop past addictedtoaudio and check some things out in person
yeah this is the best option - Senns are generally the benchmark and then it comes down to taste from there. Try some Grados while you are there too - not for everyone, but are great for rock and metal. Very open though, which means home listening only.

Just know what they are marking up there as well, I ordered directly from US recently because ATA are the Aus retailer for a couple of brands and they charge way more than the currency conversion + shipping etc. I get they are bricks and mortar and generally have a good range, but some things they charge too much for, others are generally in line.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
oh Len Wallis has niiiiice stuff ......

In the olden Days ( like 30 plus yrs ago ) my girlfriend / wife ...whatever the old bird that hangs around here , bought all her stereo stuff from Eastwood HiFi , he used to give advice there .
We still have all the stereo .
i have an old 1970s pioneer receiver -/amplifier in the shed with some ye olde speakers - works okay .
( just have to wait sometimes for it to warm up ...)

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a place in Thornbury - i think that has a lot of vintage / retro hi fi gear too
* Sometimes quite pricey ....
if you are into that stuff .

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Here's my little WFH upgrade. Grado SR325e for metal, rock etc. I've got some Beyers for other music and gaming. Previously had the SR80s before and was keen to get another Grado set. JDS Atom DAC and amp stack to run everything.

View attachment 372684
I know nothing about these, but like the aesthetic. Can also tell from your enthusiasm there shall be many hours of satisfied music listening to come, Enjoy!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I'm rocking SR80e, feels so inadequate....
Diminishing returns, think you're 90% of the way there at least - been a long time since I had my SR80s so can't directly compare, but its the same kind of sound, definitely.

Thinking of a Loxjie a30
I think most of these "new" Chinese brands are killing it for performance to price but I've not experience with them. They all measure really well, just need to check up on reviews of build quality.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Mate of mine has some 10yo quality tower speakers but his missus bought a new tv cabinet that his amp doesn’t fit in ...

I’m way outta the loop on audio gear now with kids.

Any decent options for small/slimline amps nowadays with enough grunt for tower speakers plus Bluetooth connectivity? Asking too much?

EDIT: Wants to run the matching surround centre and rears also if possible

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Need to get the old NAD 3020 looked at. Still runs well, but crackly controls and I’m pretty sure it’s never been opened.

I understand these are prone to leaking capacitors that cab destroy the board if left too long.

Any recommendations for someone in Canberra to give it a once over?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Mate of mine has some 10yo quality tower speakers but his missus bought a new tv cabinet that his amp doesn’t fit in ...

I’m way outta the loop on audio gear now with kids.

Any decent options for small/slimline amps nowadays with enough grunt for tower speakers plus Bluetooth connectivity? Asking too much?

EDIT: Wants to run the matching surround centre and rears also if possible

Slimline components drastically reduces your options. Yamaha has something at $900, marantz at $1200, goes up from there.

Need to get the old NAD 3020 looked at. Still runs well, but crackly controls and I’m pretty sure it’s never been opened.

I understand these are prone to leaking capacitors that cab destroy the board if left too long.

Pop the lid. If no caps are swollen/leaking, just clean the pots/switches with deoxit from Jaycar and see how she goes.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President

Duratone in Phillip can do this, but I've no idea of quality of work / price etc.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Slimline components drastically reduces your options. Yamaha has something at $900, marantz at $1200, goes up from there.

Pop the lid. If no caps are swollen/leaking, just clean the pots/switches with deoxit from Jaycar and see how she goes.
Also check earth connection to chassis.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I'm wanting to set up audio for a home cinema, starting from scratch. 7.1 because none of my blu-rays appear to have Atmos. What should I be looking at?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm wanting to set up audio for a home cinema, starting from scratch. 7.1 because none of my blu-rays appear to have Atmos. What should I be looking at?
Any of the big japanese brands Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo or Pioneer. 4k is good for future proofing, hdmi 2.1 is nice but will probably cost you and only really worthwhile if you have a next gen console and high end 4k tv.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk