How to work out which fork offset is right for me

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yep. MTB Direct has a 42 as well, I've had both tabs permanently open since last Sunday. Have been holding out until I learned more about the impact of the different offsets.

Now I'm holding out for @Rusty_68 to offer his silver pike up for sale! Sucks to put a black (or, god forbid, RED!!) fork on a raw frame.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Agree.
With the 51 offset understeer was easier to get into on my bikes compared back to back with a 44mm offset fork but with a 66 degree head angle it could be ok..depends.

Johnny, what's the chainstay length on this bike? And the reach? And the wheelbase? Rear travel? Or is the frame a secret for a big PYR reveal?
No secrets, the details are as below - I'm on the large:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yep. MTB Direct has a 42 as well, I've had both tabs permanently open since last Sunday. Have been holding out until I learned more about the impact of the different offsets.

Now I'm holding out for @Rusty_68 to offer his silver pike up for sale! Sucks to put a black (or, god forbid, RED!!) fork on a raw frame.
Yeah look I’m sceptical about feeling the difference between 51 and 44, but would also prioritise shorter offset in this context just based on the theory. That there would be any perceptible difference between 42 and 44 is beyond me hah.

Colour is a whole other thing though!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah look I’m sceptical about feeling the difference between 51 and 44, but would also prioritise shorter offset in this context just based on the theory. That there would be any perceptible difference between 42 and 44 is beyond me hah.

Colour is a whole other thing though!
Yeah, I'm on the same page regards sizing, It's only the last day or so that it's become clear that 51mm isn't for me and that the feedback has become uniform on how little difference 42-44 will make. IF nothing else becomes available in the next day or so, I'll grab one. $1500 is also considerably more than I thought I'd spend on forks (fuck me, I Thought I'd get away with a good bike for $4k, Just the frame and fork blows that fucking budget out of the water...), so I'm still considering other forks like a Mezzer, but my gut tells me to go a Lyrik.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah, I'm on the same page regards sizing, It's only the last day or so that it's become clear that 51mm isn't for me and that the feedback has become uniform on how little difference 42-44 will make. IF nothing else becomes available in the next day or so, I'll grab one. $1500 is also considerably more than I thought I'd spend on forks (fuck me, I Thought I'd get away with a good bike for $4k, Just the frame and fork blows that fucking budget out of the water...), so I'm still considering other forks like a Mezzer, but my gut tells me to go a Lyrik.
Can I be a dick and throw the Formula Selva fork in the mix? I almost got Felix one on new build. Only chickened out because I have all the RS spares. Incredibly tuneable and awesome by all account. Not sure if @russthedog has any in stock over at ORBO still.
If not, and wanting to save $500+, I know enough smart guys running the Mezzer who love it to believe it’s a serious contender for my next fork.
Otherwise, you’ll love the new lyriks. Felix has the ultimate 2.1’s and tells me daily how much better they feel than previous older model lyriks.

Edit. selva in stock, air is a bit dearer than a lyrik I see.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
$1500 is also considerably more than I thought I'd spend on forks
Yeah I hear you. I got lucky with the Pike Ult I bought recently and jumped on it when Pushys had their 15% off site-wide. Problem is they are only getting more expensive and the lack of supply means there are no discounts to be found. I know you said no Facebook but it’s worth scouring for a Fox fanboy who’s swapping out.

iconic

Likes Dirt
$650AUD posted for one of these?

I'm tempted to get one too...

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
$650AUD posted for one of these?

I'm tempted to get one too...

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk
A Suntour MUST not go on a Hyrax :(