Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
There's a Brumby down the street from me, I think they also go for a bit these days.

So much more character than all the hilux and ranger clones! Perfect for a runabout & get to the local trails.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
There's a Brumby down the street from me, I think they also go for a bit these days.

So much more character than all the hilux and ranger clones! Perfect for a runabout & get to the local trails.
Yeah, they've followed in the foot steps of Datto utes and are worth proper money now.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
#1's mate picked up a very original Brumby in pretty good nick for low teens a month ago. Required the usual suspension and bushes etc with a few oil leaks to cure but on the road reasonably cheaply. Is leaving the weathered paint as is. Interior is tired but not destroyed. Lucky find.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Honda Ridgeline or the new Hyunadai Sante Fe ute would be good. 99% of these things never see a dirt road anyway, may as well have the safety and handling advantages of a proper unibody construction.
I think that's true for a lot of people but I'm aiming to pull a couple of tonnes and go to places like Fraser Island.

Minlak

custom titis
I think that's true for a lot of people but I'm aiming to pull a couple of tonnes and go to places like Fraser Island.
Not being a dick for once - Make sure you get a compressor and recovery equipment before you go - Don't rely on other people to have the equipment (unless of course its a planned trip with people that have the gear). Fraser is a funny place you can do so much of it no sweat but then you get comfortable and next thing you know your stuck. Especially getting on and off the barge areas where is super chopped up. Tyre pressure will be crucial in this.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Not being a dick for once - Make sure you get a compressor and recovery equipment before you go - Don't rely on other people to have the equipment (unless of course its a planned trip with people that have the gear). Fraser is a funny place you can do so much of it no sweat but then you get comfortable and next thing you know your stuck. Especially getting on and off the barge areas where is super chopped up. Tyre pressure will be crucial in this.
It's good advice and mirrors what I've already been told.

I'll definitely want some recovery boards and a compressor at minimum. We'll go with others but as you know with my Henty, I prefer to pack as though I'm going it alone (winch notwithstanding!).

There's a fair bit of corrugated road in QLD so a compressor will be a very handy bit of kit (and for tubeless bike wheels too?)

Also a lift kit might be in order too, the Cannon doesn't have amazing clearance as standard.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Just don’t swerve for anything at highway speeds unless you really want to test how strong the roll cage is … Don’t put sticky tyres on it, you want them to understeer/slide to reduce the chance of a rollover.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Don’t put sticky tyres on it, you want them to understeer/slide to reduce the chance of a rollover.
Lol, makes me think of my old 2.4 Hilux from when I was 17... Absolute gutless piece of shit coined the "cappuccino maker" by @frenchman that couldn't get uphill in anything higher than 3rd and would go around corners backwards at 25 km/h every time it rained because the lift kit the previous owner had put in meant it was like Bambi on ice. No risk of rollover though :p