Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Go back to south Australia

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
... and we are back to Amway
It's nothing like Amway.

Amway are a fine, upstanding organisation that have been providing Aussie jobs to Aussies for decades and I won't have you besmirch their good name.

Incidentally, do you want to buy some mascara? I can get you a good deal on a couple of pallets.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Just googling mining set ups, you could buy a nice little Kubota excavator for the money and mine in your own backyard.

Mind bending to figure out the energy consumption with computing power and resources. Scary.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
There was a court case where the FBI wanted to get access to an iPhone - They were taking Apple to court to force them to open it. Apple was arguing they would have to build a back door and would put all iPhones at risk. The court case suddenly just went away - Seems the phone went to the Israel secret service and came back unlocked.

And please remember Johnny is a spy! :)
That's right, FBI ended up solving the problem in their own way. It's always a competition around computational power, and a small number of big brains. Should quantam computing ever become really real, then we're in a new world.

Super crack elite shadow spy, thank you.

Minlak

custom titis
That's right, FBI ended up solving the problem in their own way. It's always a competition around computational power, and a small number of big brains. Should quantam computing ever become really real, then we're in a new world.

Super crack elite shadow spy, thank you.
Interesting if this Elon musk neural thing gains traction in the real world going forward.

So in the MAD comics would you be the Black or White Spy?

teK--

Eats Squid
Cool. DarkSide. Another bunch of douchey tech-bros who thinks that a ‘cool’ handle and the anonymity of the internet makes them Keyser fucking Soze. They should swap notes with that Dread Pirate Roberts chap, How’s he doing these days?
He's learnt to keep a firm grip on his soap lol

teK--

Eats Squid
I might be misunderstanding here, but Dread Pirate was caught by some one physically accessing his computer by way of social engineering, not hackery.
Yeah from memory someone followed him into a cafe when he was working on his laptop. They staged an argument nearby as to distract him, then grabbed his laptop whilst it was unlocked.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah from memory someone followed him into a cafe when he was working on his laptop. They staged an argument nearby as to distract him, then grabbed his laptop whilst it was unlocked.
Good. Wankers who work in cafes totally deserve it. I particularly like it when they glare at others for talking too loud.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
After making a decision to have a gamble on crypto ...

Although I know nothing about this online currency I have made a purchase with bitcoin before so it obviously works.
without making any judgments on anybody ... I see these 2 lines drive the majority of the market. Gamble and without real knowledge.

Let’s say 80:20 rule. Punters to more knowledgeable pundits ... where Knowledgeable isn’t necessarily related to investments or investment analytics, or investment acumen

Using 80:20 again ... of the above knowledgeable portion ... 80% are more IT focused ... again not investment focused ... prolly a big chunk are criminally motivated. Guessing ... see oil pipeline hackers.

so that leaves approx 5% of the starting population, making money off the 95% ... that’s a pretty good position to be in and likely where all the whales are. How these 5% make decisions I have no idea and I believe nobody knows including the 5%.

Me ... I see Crypto = Tulips
Likely end the same way. there are no fundamentals, it’s all about trend and speed of news
pure gambling IMO.

teK--

Eats Squid
without making any judgments on anybody ... I see these 2 lines drive the majority of the market. Gamble and without real knowledge.

Let’s say 80:20 rule. Punters to more knowledgeable pundits ... where Knowledgeable isn’t necessarily related to investments or investment analytics, or investment acumen

Using 80:20 again ... of the above knowledgeable portion ... 80% are more IT focused ... again not investment focused ... prolly a big chunk are criminally motivated. Guessing ... see oil pipeline hackers.

so that leaves approx 5% of the starting population, making money off the 95% ... that’s a pretty good position to be in and likely where all the whales are. How these 5% make decisions I have no idea and I believe nobody knows including the 5%.

Likely end the same way. there are no fundamentals, it’s all about trend and speed of news
pure gambling IMO.
The fundamentals are human nature. It's been proven again and again , when cryptos have no real utility, skyrocket in value but others which should be in demand, have price stagnation.

It's kinda irritating for someone who does all the research but the price trends sideways, but then some dud coin is spruiked on tiktok and goes up 1000% in a day.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

pure gambling IMO.
Pretty much bang on the money although I'd put your ratios close to a 99.9:0.1 ratio (or worse) as the system is so chaotic that nobody, not the best IT minds, nor the savviest financial gurus can truly predict which way it's going to twist and turn, other than it ending in a massive crash at some point in the near future.

And boy will it be a big crash! This is what gets me. Can nobody see the folly in more and more people throwing greater and greater sums of money at an intangible entity that's supposed purpose is to act as something stable enough to be used as currency? The El Salvador thing should really be the canary in the coal mine.

Now that you've got a Government (albeit an impoverished, unstable one) getting involved, it projects an air of legitimacy that encourages more people to jump on the bandwagon. This then ties up more money chasing these invisible nerd-tokens that pushes the prices up even higher. Soon FOMO starts getting to people who normally would have a bit more sense and the pyramid rises ever higher. Maybe more governments get involved.

Maybe (now, I'm just going off on a mad tangent here but there's a reason) but just maybe you might happen to be a short-statured Eastern European gangster-autocrat with a penchant for shirtless photography and an army of hackers at your disposal and you decide that this is too good an opportunity to pass up so you tie your own currency to it knowing that 1: it's a great way to launder the billions you've already stolen from your people. 2: You're in a great position to manipulate a shadowy digital financial market to your benefit and 3: The eventual collapse will hurt your enemies far worse than it will yourself.

Because there will be a collapse. There is always a collapse.

1929, Black Monday, The GFC are the three biggies I can think of off the top of my head and they all share the same themes - People chasing get-rich-quick schemes gambling that they won't be the ones caught out. -
We were lucky in the last one as Australian financial regulation stopped our banks from gambling everything away but this time there is no form of control at all. There are no financial regulators at play anywhere so it is destined to end in absolute calamity, and there is no point thinking, 'well, I'm smart. I know when to get out early' because even if you do, you will still have played your part in creating worldwide financial chaos.

You might only gamble away what you might consider to be your piss-drinking money but that's also along with all your Crypto-Bro WhatsApp Group mates' contributions which are enough to drive the stakes up enough so that the poor sap who has just bought your doge-coins may have his house on it. At some point dodgy accountants ARE (if they're not already) going to be gambling the company funds on it and it may just be the company that you work for.

The GFC was little over a decade ago FFS. Have we got such short memories?

*The reason is I just wanted to call Putin a short-arse with a penchant for shirtless photography but I wouldn't bet against something like that happening - not that it would need to to cause a crash.