Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

ausdb

Being who he is
Calling @pink poodle and anyone else, I'm after coffee brewing suggestions for a "tiny house"

The gods of schools and local intake area's have not looked kindly upon my family and in order to appease them, I'm doing a tiny house experiment and moving from a real house into a unit for a while so that my daughter can attend the same school as my son. Anyway enough of that coffee is what is important, I'm currently using a Dalla Corte Mini dual boiler and a Baratza Forte AP grinder. I've also found a Swiss Gold one cup brewer in the cupboard that my wife gave me a while back. There's no space for an espresso machine in the rental so I'm thinking of taking the grinder and swiss gold and maybe picking up another to make it easier to brew 2 cups at the same time.

I can't really think of anything much smaller or hassle free but open to suggestions.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Take the grinder and buy a plunger and a pour over filter holder. Also buy some paper filters. Happy days will follow.

ausdb

Being who he is
Take the grinder and buy a plunger and a pour over filter holder. Also buy some paper filters. Happy days will follow.
Ok so I have a plunger but don't really like plunger coffee, so your saying get something like this to go on top?
Does it matter if I don't have one of those fancy kettles?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Go to Daiso and buy a generic japanese one for about $2.80 rather than the strangely expensive hario version, but yeah that style of device. When making coffee with the tool I described I brew up in the plunger, plunge, then run it through the filter. It cuts out fine grit and some oil delivering a cleaner taste. I also put cream on mine rather than milk for a more robust texture.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Calling @pink poodle and anyone else, I'm after coffee brewing suggestions for a "tiny house"

The gods of schools and local intake area's have not looked kindly upon my family and in order to appease them, I'm doing a tiny house experiment and moving from a real house into a unit for a while so that my daughter can attend the same school as my son. Anyway enough of that coffee is what is important, I'm currently using a Dalla Corte Mini dual boiler and a Baratza Forte AP grinder. I've also found a Swiss Gold one cup brewer in the cupboard that my wife gave me a while back. There's no space for an espresso machine in the rental so I'm thinking of taking the grinder and swiss gold and maybe picking up another to make it easier to brew 2 cups at the same time.

I can't really think of anything much smaller or hassle free but open to suggestions.
I seriously love my flair espresso manual lever - I only use my VBM for steaming milk!

ausdb

Being who he is
Go to Daiso and buy a generic japanese one for about $2.80 rather than the strangely expensive hario version, but yeah that style of device. When making coffee with the tool I described I brew up in the plunger, plunge, then run it through the filter. It cuts out fine grit and some oil delivering a cleaner taste. I also put cream on mine rather than milk for a more robust texture.
There's only one Daiso in Perth and I happened to visit it today, bloody covid or something everythings now $3.30 not $2.80 so my experiment has just cost me $6.60 but I did manage to get a set of "make me legal" lights to leave on the bike for the same price.
Thanks all for the other suggestions but I really don't want to shell out more expense than is really needed and two cups at a time is essential.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There's only one Daiso in Perth and I happened to visit it today, bloody covid or something everythings now $3.30 not $2.80 so my experiment has just cost me $6.60 but I did manage to get a set of "make me legal" lights to leave on the bike for the same price.
Thanks all for the other suggestions but I really don't want to shell out more expense than is really needed and two cups at a time is essential.

I hope you grabbed some cans of Japanese coffee while you were there?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
While bush camping I have been using this for the last few years...

It is ok but tedious to make a couple of coffees in a timely fashion. I was manually grinding the coffee but I will pregrind and vacuum pack this time. Still tedious.

Decided I wanted one of these...

So I went to buy it today. Salesparson was trying to talk me out of it because of how finicky they are and a bush camp isn't the sort of place to experiment if it goes wrong. So as I had done my googling was not convinced. Hmmm. They are really sensitive to grind and shot size. Hmmmm.

So I bought one of these instead as recommended...

Experimentation here we come.

Saved about $250 as well.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I have the stovetop style for camping and festivals, but they are a prick to clean & refill if you are making several coffees in a row.

I got a stainless steel 1 mug/2 demi-cup plunger from ebay. cost me about $30ish dollars delivered. The thing is absolutely bulletproof. used daily. NFI where you would get a spare filter screen from though. Hasn't been an issue, TBH.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I have the stovetop style for camping and festivals, but they are a prick to clean & refill if you are making several coffees in a row.

I got a stainless steel 1 mug/2 demi-cup plunger from ebay. cost me about $30ish dollars delivered. The thing is absolutely bulletproof. used daily. NFI where you would get a spare filter screen from though. Hasn't been an issue, TBH.
Used one of those for years when at work. Better than the coffee they supplied. Still have it in the cupboard:

https://www.kathmandu.com.au/coffee-plunger-mug.html

Didn’t pay that for it thought. Memory says about $30. Stovetop is great as well but if doing multiple cups need a big one.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Used one of those for years when at work. Better than the coffee they supplied. Still have it in the cupboard:

https://www.kathmandu.com.au/coffee-plunger-mug.html

Didn’t pay that for it thought. Memory says about $30. Stovetop is great as well but if doing multiple cups need a big one.
no plastic on mine at all, and it's double wall as well.
same shape, probably same brand as this

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
So I bought one of these instead as recommended...

Experimentation here we come.

Saved about $250 as well.
Despite already owning a dedicated espresso machine with separate grinder, multiple Aeropresses and a perfectly good generic unbranded Moka Pot already, I convinced myself a couple of years ago that I just had to have one of these after reading in the news that Bialetti were going tits up financially.

I know there was no need whatsoever - I never use my existing Moka pot for starters - but just look at it ffs. It's delightful!

Sadly after 6 weeks of waiting for it to arrive I wound up cancelling the order but goddamn it I think I'm going to have to see if I can track one down now!

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Despite already owning a dedicated espresso machine with separate grinder, multiple Aeropresses and a perfectly good generic unbranded Moka Pot already, I convinced myself a couple of years ago that I just had to have one of these after reading in the news that Bialetti were going tits up financially.

View attachment 376386

I know there was no need whatsoever - I never use my existing Moka pot for starters - but just look at it ffs. It's delightful!

Sadly after 6 weeks of waiting for it to arrive I wound up cancelling the order but goddamn it I think I'm going to have to see if I can track one down now!
Bialetti Moka Alpina - 3 Cup (alternativebrewing.com.au)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

After seasoning it I realise it makes a 4 or 5:1 brew rather than 1 or 2:1 so a double equals a single. That I brewed too hot, the coffee is meant to ooze from the spigot and not spray the kitchen windows if you open the top.

A few test brews and I will weigh the coffee until I find a suitable container to use as a scuttle and will mark a plimsol lime in the upper chamber as a brew level.