Votes: 8 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Go back to south Australia

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters

teK--

Eats Squid
Wot, something like a physical wallet with cash & shit (the latter not literally) tucked in one's pocket....?
Narrr it's a USB device you plug into the computer to authorise access to the wallet. The device needs you to enter a pin code before it is active. Basically 3 factor authentication.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
But it is still like putting it under the bed…

If these bad guys weren’t funded by the state, of all sides of the political spectrum… they’d be doing time

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Narrr it's a USB device you plug into the computer to authorise access to the wallet. The device needs you to enter a pin code before it is active. Basically 3 factor authentication.
So if you lose the USB then you lose your money? Asking for a friend who has NFI how all this dogecoin stuff works.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
One article said the FBI obtained via an undisclosed method, the private keys to the wallet. Presumably the crims stored it somewhere on a computer or online wallet which was compromised by the FBI using spyware or a 0day. A hardware wallet would have gotten around this.
It still wouldn't have helped. We all generate so much meta-data and computer analysis of said meta-data is getting so accurate these days that even a hardware wallet is still going to be relatively easy to locate. Think of it like a black-hole. Astronomers can't see it but they know it is there because it has an effect on the behaviour of everything around it.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
So if you lose the USB then you lose your money? Asking for a friend who has NFI how all this dogecoin stuff works.
Yes. Gone for good.
(Unless you have the details stored elsewhere.)
Plenty of stories from people who claim to have millions in Bitcoin in lost wallets. One guy was trying to convince his local government to dig up a tip to find his old hard drives.

teK--

Eats Squid
If you lose the hardware wallet but still have your seed phrase (12-24 random words which were used to set up your wallet), you can replace the hardware wallet with a new one and recreate access to your wallet using the seed phrase.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
and then put it in a safety deposit box in a bank...

more betterer than under your bed...

moorey

call me Mia
Bitcoin obsessed friends/workmates remind me of ex-friends who were Amway people
With bitcoin, it seems mainly FOMO. Other people are making money off this! There's finite bitcoin! I need to get some before it's too late....

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I suppose if you are a fan of the greater fool theory, or want something that seems somewhat more secure than cash to buy drugs with - Yes.

If not - No.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
What about investing in Encripto...I hear there is an opportunity in the Australian market that has just opened up!