The cooking thread

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Hitting the cooler months means it's about time to start knocking up some goulasch. For a bit of a twist I use kangaroo steak when I can find it, in which case it's called roolasch. :D

Brown the steak (if using roo, super hot & fast; having very low fat content roo needs to be quickly sealed to keep the juice in), chuck in a few blobs of minced garlic or 2-3 cloves of fresh (I hate onion, so go a bit harder on the garlic), tomato paste, a medium-sized diced spud, mushrooms, some bay leaves, some cloves, a couple of shakes of oregano and a really good splash of full-bodied red wine - all in perfecly imprecise measurements. Brew over low heat for an hour or two and serve on basmati rice. Is yum.

When made with roo steak it's best all eaten straight away; the super lean meat tends to dry out when reheated.

Last edited:

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
This is a great little recipe that has gone into high rotation at our house as it is a good one if you have young kids as you can keep it bland for the them, then add the sauce for some spice.
Bimbimbap
Nice cheap quick meal that is tasty and can use up whatever vegies you have in the fridge. The My Korean Kitchen site has a bunch of other great recipes too.
Sent that link to the meat socks wonderful wife and ended up with a great Bibimbap tonight.... so, thanks for that... Thinking of adding that websites dishes to our food rotation.

S

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I'm really enjoying Tabasco Sriracha sauce at the moment.

Sent that link to the meat socks wonderful wife and ended up with a great Bibimbap tonight.... so, thanks for that... Thinking of adding that websites dishes to our food rotation.

S
I wonder if this strategy will work for me if I send the link to my husband? No harm in trying! :D

Switch

huskier headed gent

S
To have helped provide sustenance to the porcine is a great honour
Been happy with every dish from that site so far.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Dust the dead animal in potato starch before the initial fry, adds to the flavour and colour and helps thicken the sauce. I made a stew tonight and managed to use many many utensils. Oops. Did dumplings and cooked them in the stew however should have steamed them and added later. Next time.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I am chilli sensitive and cannot really handle hot food but don't mind when it has a little bit of a "kick" at the end - A kick for me is best described as a mild heat to the back of the throat (read that as very mild). As such I normally stick to traditional birdseye chilli or chilli flakes in a masterfood bottle as the source of heat.
Last night for the first time I used Sriracha as the heat source - I used a very small amount of it and was amazed at the different mouth / swallow feel to it. Will be my new go to for a while.

View attachment 375624
I'm not a fan, but it is very popular. Mix it with mayo for chicken dipping sauce.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
#1 has an airfryer, test drove it tonight making popcorn chicken. Worked well, time for more experimentation.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
#1 has an airfryer, test drove it tonight making popcorn chicken. Worked well, time for more experimentation.
We have an air fryer built into the oven.

Farqed if I can figure out what the difference is between the air fryer mode and fan forced mode. I am clearly new to be world of ovens that seem to know how to do lots of magical things.

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
We have an air fryer built into the oven.

Farqed if I can figure out what the difference is between the air fryer mode and fan forced mode. I am clearly new to be world of ovens that seem to know how to do lots of magical things.
We have one of those ovens too, the air frier part isn't as good as the other airfrier thogh, doesn't make things crisp

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
We have one of those ovens too, the air frier part isn't as good as the other airfrier thogh, doesn't make things crisp
I am still experimenting with it.

I have to admit not brushing oil on anything in the air fryer so am probably doing it wrong from the start :)

Air fryer and a fan forced oven just seem like a similar idea.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There has been some cooking recently, some for work and some for home.

1) fuck air fryers. I use one a bit at one of my jobs. I'm yet to have outcomes that aren't faster, easier, and better done in conventional methods. But here are some wings I cooked on Thursday that were pretty tasty. It took way too long.

2) I have a microwave at home and barely use it. Yesterday while I was fucking around in the kitchen I decided to try something...I threw half a cauliflower in there and made cauliflower soup! It was easy and significantly less mess than the stove top, but more importantly it was delicious! I'm not sure I'd bother again though as I took about 15 minutes of cook time.

3) what was I doing that had me in the house long enough to make cauliflower soup? Laundry...and roasting pork belly!!! Perfect outcome with the pork belly. I fucked up the laundry and forgot to hand it out.

3) I made some pickled radishes as well. These go great with cheese, dinner, sandwiches and salads. Just cut them up and add vinegar and some herbs of choice. Mine have oregano, thyme, and fennel seeds.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Hitting the cooler months means it's about time to start knocking up some goulasch. For a bit of a twist I use kangaroo steak when I can find it, in which case it's called roolasch. :D

Brown the steak (if using roo, super hot & fast; having very low fat content roo needs to be quickly sealed to keep the juice in), chuck in a few blobs of minced garlic or 2-3 cloves of fresh (I hate onion, so go a bit harder on the garlic), tomato paste, a medium-sized diced spud, mushrooms, some bay leaves, some cloves, a couple of shakes of oregano and a really good splash of full-bodied red wine - all in perfecly imprecise measurements. Brew over low heat for an hour or two and serve on basmati rice. Is yum.

When made with roo steak it's best all eaten straight away; the super lean meat tends to dry out when reheated.
I lived in Hungary for a couple of years when I was a kid. Only thing I really remember is the goulash cook-ups. Love the stuff

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
There has been some cooking recently, some for work and some for home.

1) fuck air fryers. I use one a bit at one of my jobs. I'm yet to have outcomes that aren't faster, easier, and better done in conventional methods. But here are some wings I cooked on Thursday that were pretty tasty. It took way too long.

View attachment 375761

2) I have a microwave at home and barely use it. Yesterday while I was fucking around in the kitchen I decided to try something...I threw half a cauliflower in there and made cauliflower soup! It was easy and significantly less mess than the stove top, but more importantly it was delicious! I'm not sure I'd bother again though as I took about 15 minutes of cook time.

3) what was I doing that had me in the house long enough to make cauliflower soup? Laundry...and roasting pork belly!!! Perfect outcome with the pork belly. I fucked up the laundry and forgot to hand it out.View attachment 375762
View attachment 375763

3) I made some pickled radishes as well. These go great with cheese, dinner, sandwiches and salads. Just cut them up and add vinegar and some herbs of choice. Mine have oregano, thyme, and fennel seeds.
View attachment 375764
@pink poodle for the win on roast pork.

This thread is making my hungry. Thankfully I’ve made a beef rendang that’s been slow cooking for 6 hours. Now to chop some corriander and serve it up.