Choosing a decent bike for a growing 11yr old (151cm tall)

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Well I can knock these on the head unless someone is driving from Brisbane to Cairns in July?

99bikes won't let a courier pick up due to manufacturer shipping restrictions.
Not really surprised, I know someone who drove to Townsville last week to secure two kids bikes.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Specialized taking the piss -

Avanti 24" with XCT Jr fork and M200 hydraulic brakes - $680
Specialized Riprock 24" (2.8 tyres!), XCT Jr fork, Tektro hydraulic brakes - $950

That's a serious increase in price!

It must be hard building quality bikes for children as the long term ownership outlook isn't good, most children aren't into the sport so numbers are much smaller.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It must be hard building quality bikes for children as the long term ownership outlook isn't good, most children aren't into the sport so numbers are much smaller.
You'd be surprised how good the second hand market is for quality used Kids bikes.

But yeah, not a lot of good deals or discount out there on bikes at the moment, everything is full price unless you have a good relationship with your LBS.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
There's a few manufacturers that do kids bikes with no suspension fork.

IMO there is no need for a useless 40mm of suspension fork on a kids bike weighing the front down with 3kg of unnecessary weight... yes seriously 3kg of shit-functioning fork.

My boys had Kona Shred 20" and they were solid little bikes ay 11kg, the fork was 3kg alone and it had no impact to ride quality at all.

Cannondale is one of them https://www.cannondale.com/en-au/bikes/kids/7-to-12#sort=@msrp descending

Finding stock is another thing :rolleyes:

HamboCairns

IMO there is no need for a useless 40mm of suspension fork on a kids bike weighing the front down with 3kg of unnecessary weight... yes seriously 3kg of shit-functioning fork.

My boys had Kona Shred 20" and they were solid little bikes ay 11kg, the fork was 3kg alone and it had no impact to ride quality at all.

Cannondale is one of them https://www.cannondale.com/en-au/bikes/kids/7-to-12#sort=@msrp descending

Ah interesting, so a decent set of tyres and their appendages is all the suspension she needs?

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt

HamboCairns

The Cannondale looks perfect except the price which is a joke.