The stupid questions thread.

moorey

call me Mia
Yes, had my bikes all set up that way, then I got a boost bike... Losing a wheelset to corrosion didn't help either.
This is my biggest holdout....Felix is the only booster here....aside from the ebike, but fuck that....
He’s got daily wheels and race wheels....though he likes riding the more expensive race tyres 24/7, seeing as he’s not paying for them.
Corrosion? What happened? (Don’t say they corroded)

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
This is my biggest holdout....Felix is the only booster here....aside from the ebike, but fuck that....
He’s got daily wheels and race wheels....though he likes riding the more expensive race tyres 24/7, seeing as he’s not paying for them.
Corrosion? What happened? (Don’t say they corroded)
Probably not such an issue going boost, as all the bikes before that were 26", so in theory there's some compatibility to be had from any new bikes now on.
As for the corrosion, I'm not sure, was about an 8 year old wheelset, with signficant corrosion around the valve stem on both front and rear wheels. They'd been fine running tubeless for a few years, and held up well against ongoing commuter use, prior to that.

moorey

call me Mia
I’ve still got numerous 26” bikes...mainly oranges...but obviously not boost.
Everything runs hopes, so even though there’s 3 different rear axle configurations, and 3 fork axle configurations, they all use the same wheels, just with a 30 second axle swap. I’m all about simplicity (aka lazy)

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I went out on it yesterday, got a sprinkling of rain leaving roots and rocks with a wet covering, came down a trail in Belair NP called "Bullshit cliff" its as rocky and rooty as f%#k, wasn't trying to go hard, just enough to make me smile... that bike is the smoothest bike I have ever ridden and I will probably still be messing with the suspension settings in 6 months time as its like that with basic settings.

It tracked over those 45° roots as if they weren't even there and the rocks just disappeared. That was with me not able to drop the 180mm dropper all the way down and not able to pedal standing up (knee op recovery), its awesome.
I wonder about bikes that make hard tracks feel like they're not there, genuine question as I've never owned a full squish but is there still a level of jeopardy in tackling this terrain in a long travel bike that smooths most stuff out?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I’ve still got numerous 26” bikes...mainly oranges...but obviously not boost.
Everything runs hopes, so even though there’s 3 different rear axle configurations, and 3 fork axle configurations, they all use the same wheels, just with a 30 second axle swap. I’m all about simplicity (aka lazy)
Sticking to one brand of brakes/drivetrain for my children's new bikes is a must having listened to the amount of maintenance you all get through!

Litenbror

Eats Squid
This is my ethos.
My 140’s can do everything the 160’s does...just not quite as well.
The 160’s can do everything the 140’s do....just not quite as well.

If I had a tweener 150...say a new Tranny Scout....I would probably have both the best and worst of both worlds...
Sounds like someone is talking themselves into something...

moorey

call me Mia
Jeez he’s a modest soul. I’ve seen @moorey ride and race. He’s no slouch!

So Moorey your kids favourite tire is wild enduros currently?
Results disagree, but thanks....or is that a humble brag seeing I was miles behind you at Macedon :p

Felix has had his best results on them, and he’s right on board now. His only beef was at Maydena for GE Nationals on Supercross, with really fast speed, hardback big berms, where he felt a little squirm....but I was running squirmier tyres and didn’t feel it at my speed. I think any tyre would have squirmed a bit TBH.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Only complaint I can find about them is the usual complaint with soft tires. They wear damn quick and the price. They are damn expensive!
But mini Moorey probably isn’t too fussed with that at this stage.

moorey

call me Mia
Only complaint I can find about them is the usual complaint with soft tires. They wear damn quick and the price. They are damn expensive!
But mini Moorey probably isn’t too fussed with that at this stage.
Agree they wear a bit quicker...but they’re way cheaper than DD casing minions, and wear about the same. I’m paying $65 each for GumX, was paying $90-110 for DD Maxxis.