Electric Vehicles etc

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Side view looks like a Supra wagon.

I don't love the headlight shape/surround of the Porsche EV's, but I get why they wouldn't want to muddy the water of the 911 lineage either...

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Hyundai Ionic 5 - pre launch - this is where the shit gets real - the Japanese and Korean manufacturers are ready to roll.

• our govt ( of any colour ) is firmly wedded to 'fuel' based vehicles and will not budge - our offerings in Australia will be the old ( new tech ? ) petrol/diesals - dual cabs are still winning hearts n minds
  • Infra structure is avail , but again - no real motivation to meet a higher demand from consumers .
  • and a 'base price ' for most evs is still approx. $45k - then goes up .
  • i believe only 3000 evs were sold last year - small as a percentage - even taking into account covid , supply chain , semi conductor shortage etc

As an aside whilst i was out n about deep in the Wombat - i met a couple of guys on e-motos - trail bikes . ( rec Reg ) we had an good ol chat as i was on my e-bike .
And yes - i do have jealousy - quiet and capable

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Okay maybe "total crap" was overdoing it but I don't dig the "4-door coupe" thing - Panamera, Taycan, others from Maserati etc... But that Cross Turismo has a bit more weight to it and more of a wagon vibe with the higher roofline that I actually kind of like.
Normal Taycan is sedan - like the Model 3 it sorta looks like it should have a hatch but it doesn't.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Hyundai Ionic 5 - pre launch - this is where the shit gets real - the Japanese and Korean manufacturers are ready to roll.

• our govt ( of any colour ) is firmly wedded to 'fuel' based vehicles and will not budge - our offerings in Australia will be the old ( new tech ? ) petrol/diesals - dual cabs are still winning hearts n minds
  • Infra structure is avail , but again - no real motivation to meet a higher demand from consumers .
  • i believe only 3000 evs were sold last year - small as a percentage - even taking into account covid , supply chain , semi conductor shortage etc
As an aside whilst i was out n about deep in the Wombat - i met a couple of guys on e-motos - trail bikes . ( rec Reg ) we had an good ol chat as i was on my e-bike .
I like the Delta Intragrale vibes of this, shame its not the same sort of size - too big for my tastes.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas

A wagon version of this would be stellar!

mark22

Likes Dirt
Should Prius owners be taxed more because some people drive V8s?
At present the more fuel you use the more tax you pay. This Tax will only effect PHEV and not hybrid vehicles so depends which model you buy.
Who do you think should pay a tax for road infrastructure?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
At present the more fuel you use the more tax you pay. This Tax will only effect PHEV and not hybrid vehicles so depends which model you buy.
Who do you think should pay a tax for road infrastructure?
I think you missed my point. Fuel excise is not some magic user pays road funding miracle - it’s just a tax that goes into consolidated revenue with your other taxes where we all pay for roads out of all of our taxes.

Taxjng EVs because they use no fuel makes as much sense as taxing Prius because they use less fuel.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's pretty simple, user pays.
All states will follow the km tax, the funding has to come from somewhere best from the people who use it.
I think we'll get to that point, but introducing it when the uptake of EVs is slow is stupid IMO. ONce the uptake is large enough and you can identify the tipping point from an ICE majority to an EV majority, then you start introducing a new system; you don't disincentivize people from even getting started.
In some ways this seems to mirror the 'register bikes' argument that's been going on for years

As has been stated, fuel excise goes into consolidated revenue so there's plenty of other options for funding roads while we actually start down the path to EVs

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I think we'll get to that point, but introducing it when the uptake of EVs is slow is stupid IMO. ONce the uptake is large enough and you can identify the tipping point from an ICE majority to an EV majority, then you start introducing a new system; you don't disincentivize people from even getting started.
In some ways this seems to mirror the 'register bikes' argument that's been going on for years

As has been stated, fuel excise goes into consolidated revenue so there's plenty of other options for funding roads while we actually start down the path to EVs
What it will probably end up like is what happened with solar panels. I the beginning when they were seen as a vote winning thing, there were lots of subsidies and you got a good return on excess electricity, but at the take up increased the subsidies became more costly to run so they dropped off and as the electricity providers start to get lesser returns they in turn pay less and less for your excess power.
The difference with EVs it that there's no incentive from the beginning.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Parked next to the standard version of one the other day - they’re big! Pictures also don’t do justice to how fat it’s hips are, the rear guards are very 911 like in their width. It looks waaaay better in the flesh.