What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Feelsgoodman haakers coming in with the positive outlook again.
Just a mild dose of reality. I dont get people fawning at sports sort as some sort of hero or role model because they had the opportunity to get good at something they like doing. Its weird...

Im sure he is a very nice person and is having fun, good on him. I'm currently dealing with someone who has had to deal with the other end of what life can randomly dish out. Their focus is on less fun stuff, and somehow no one is lauding their awesomeness for just keeping their head above water.

ausdb

Being who he is
Our tagalong had back pedal brakes.....
Worst.
Idea.
Ever.
Oh crap, I've just put a trail gator towbar on the little miss's bike forgot its got a coaster as well as front and rear brakes.
Damn, anyone got a 28 hole screw on freewheel hub kicking around?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Just a mild dose of reality. I dont get people fawning at sports sort as some sort of hero or role model because they had the opportunity to get good at something they like doing. Its weird...

Im sure he is a very nice person and is having fun, good on him. I'm currently dealing with someone who has had to deal with the other end of what life can randomly dish out. Their focus is on less fun stuff, and somehow no one is lauding their awesomeness for just keeping their head above water.
Well this is a mountain bike forum so the focus will be on mountain bike related experiences.

There's plenty of chunts that look down on others because they're better at something than someone else, especially if they're borne of privilege.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

Don’t worry, we all know life's a cunt. Let people enjoy the thing.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Well this is a mountain bike forum so the focus will be on mountain bike related experiences.

There's plenty of chunts that look down on others because they're better at something than someone else, especially if they're borne of privilege.
I'm not looking down on anyone. Just not looking up to anyone either for sportsball/wheel achievements - its a bit fucked up in my view that people who work a lot harder for less frivolous things are ignored.

moorey

call me Mia
Dont disagree with any of that. Cynicism borne from experience, but as you say its by no means the rule. A tendency is perhaps a better word.

At least just noting people with happy lives are the lucky ones who missed out on some of the nastier shit sandwiches life can throw at you. Good for him. Just dont forget to note that working really hard on his riding is possible because he can because likely not simply trying to survive. Throw an abusive alcoholic father and extreme poverty into the equation and see how easy going he gets. But sometime core personality traits shine through, its rare though.
I can't tell if the above is about you and a justification for never reaching full potential?
I'm not totally disagreeing with you. maybe you forget what I do for a crust, but I've commented many times over the years that you're a glass 1/2 empty kinda guy. Some days I think I overestimate how much is in your glass.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Nice, well balanced happy kids do exist - but take away the lovely family and opportunity (ie wealth/stabilty etc) to spend time of elective hobbies like riding and kids dont always turn out so well. He is just one of the lucky ones, not necessarily representative of his (or any other) generation.
True I suppose. Nature vs nurture. I should clarify I was actually referring to the next generation being a hell of a lot faster riding than us.

At least just noting people with happy lives are the lucky ones who missed out on some of the nastier shit sandwiches life can throw at you. Good for him. Just dont forget to note that working really hard on his riding is possible because he can because likely not simply trying to survive. Throw an abusive alcoholic father and extreme poverty into the equation and see how easy going he gets. But sometime core personality traits shine through, its rare though.
Wow dude.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I'm not looking down on anyone. Just not looking up to anyone either for sportsball/wheel achievements - its a bit fucked up in my view that people who work a lot harder for less frivolous things are ignored.
FFS, we're talking about kids here. And kids working their arses off that will never get much attention for it, unlike those taking up mainstream sports. You could be the 20th best footballer in aus, and make the papers, news and celebrity TV shows on a daily basis. Ask the man on the street who Sam Hill, Tracey Hannah or Troy Brosnan are, and they will scratch their heads.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
FFS, we're talking about kids here. And kids working their arses off that will never get much attention for it, unlike those taking up mainstream sports. You could be the 20th best footballer in aus, and make the papers, news and celebrity TV shows on a daily basis. Ask the man on the street who Sam Hill, Tracey Hannah or Troy Brosnan are, and they will scratch their heads.
TL;DR
Let it go mate.