LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

marks

Likes Bikes
5V 8.4V 6x 18650 Waterproof Battery Pack Box Case Cover For Cellphone Bike Lamp 6956990503066 | eBay
Back earlier in this thread there was reports of that style battery box cutting out when going over rough ground.

Was to do with the springs and batteries bouncing around causing the light to turn off at the very worst time.
I have 1 of these coming to replace my Cleanskin Duo light battery pack.
They have springs top and bottom which by all accounts I can fine makes them less susceptible to the black out.
5V 8.4V 6x 18650 Waterproof Battery Pack Box Case Cover For Cellphone Bike Lamp 6956990503066 | eBay
Their main job is for commuting so they don't get bumped around too much.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Bit of an update from my post a while back

The Cleanskin Duo verses the MagicShine 906 - in real world use the MagicShine has quite a lot more usable light and just lights up more of the trail. Also the Duo has developed an issue where in rocky terrain (so most of Bendigo) it'll switch to the dimmer setting and switch back. I'll be doing a warranty return and potentially returning it to fund a different light.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Also the Duo has developed an issue where in rocky terrain (so most of Bendigo) it'll switch to the dimmer setting and switch back. I'll be doing a warranty return and potentially returning it to fund a different light.
The Duo's switch to half power (1000lms) when they overheat, happens a lot here in Summer, not so much in Winter but if you are climbing slowly, crawling techy or stopped having a chat, they CS Duo will flick to half power, then back again to full power.

It will do this numerous times until it has sufficient air flow over it to cool it down.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
The Cleanskin Duo verses the MagicShine 906 - in real world use the MagicShine has quite a lot more usable light and just lights up more of the trail. Also the Duo has developed an issue where in rocky terrain (so most of Bendigo) it'll switch to the dimmer setting and switch back. I'll be doing a warranty return and potentially returning it to fund a different light.
magic shine 905 50 off at cycle station albury, 199 for 3000lm magic shine 906

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
The Duo's switch to half power (1000lms) when they overheat, happens a lot here in Summer, not so much in Winter but if you are climbing slowly, crawling techy or stopped having a chat, they CS Duo will flick to half power, then back again to full power.

It will do this numerous times until it has sufficient air flow over it to cool it down.
Ahh that might be it then!

ozzybmx

Just got the Magicshine MJ906 today, apparently 5000lms but in reality I knew it was about 3200lms according to reports, still gets between 112 and 120 minutes of burn time on full power. Its fckn bright compared to my cleanskin duo.

I only need 2 hours max for a night ride.

Shit loads wider beam than my Cleanskin duo.

Got 2 x MJ902's coming soon.

I'm getting a bit older, shits coming at me faster, I was ok with AyUps and the Duo but need a bit more spread now.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Just got the Magicshine MJ906 today, apparently 5000lms but in reality I knew it was about 3200lms according to reports, still gets between 112 and 120 minutes of burn time on full power. Its fckn bright compared to my cleanskin duo.

I'm getting a bit older, shits coming at me faster, I was ok with AyUps and the Duo but need a bit more spread now.

View attachment 374890

View attachment 374892
Does it have the ability to toggle between a low and high mode with the remote?

ozzybmx

Does it have the ability to toggle between a low and high mode with the remote?
Yes, it toggles through 4 power modes then the epilepsy inducing strobe. Separate button on the remote to turn it off.

Will test it tonight.

DMan

Yes, it toggles through 4 power modes then the epilepsy inducing strobe. Separate button on the remote to turn it off.

Will test it tonight.
Could you check if there is a mode that you can go from full to "dipped" with one button push. My Lezyne does that, which is awesome, but I'd love more light than it produces.

Last edited:

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Do they come with helmet mounts?
This would be more than enough light for me to run that alone.

Also, where is the best place to source them?
Bikeinn had $221 and MTBDirect had $319

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Do they come with helmet mounts?
This would be more than enough light for me to run that alone.

Also, where is the best place to source them?
Bikeinn had $221 and MTBDirect had $319
Bikeinn is a good price.

Bicyclesonline had them for $259 but now OOS. No helmet mounts with this normal kit but I've some combos where there was some extras included.

Could you check if there is a mode that you can go from full to "dipped" with one button push. My Lezyne does that, which is awesome, but I'd love more light than it produces.
I've had a mess around, looks like it has to be cycled through flash mode to get to low, so 2 clicks, then 3 clicks to get it to high again, so no dipped beam shortcut.

DMan

Bikeinn is a good price.

Bicyclesonline had them for $259 but now OOS. No helmet mounts with this normal kit but I've some combos where there was some extras included.

I've had a mess around, looks like it has to be cycled through flash mode to get to low, so 2 clicks, then 3 clicks to get it to high again, so no dipped beam shortcut.
Shame, but thanks for looking though.