Mtb prices gone stupid: The Renovation, Planning Permission & Fkn Tradies (and climate change and dog breeding ethics, +greyhound appreciation) Thread

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I’m sure I read somewhere that 200 series sales had gone up by 25-30% because Aussies and V8’s.

Somehow I don’t think Toyota would bring an inferior version to market, knowing how many grey nomads love them
They will pump up the rail pressure on a V6 to give the same output, or more.

Problem being the 76 series 4.2 and 4.5 single turbo with 750,000km on the clock is a thing of the past. You cant keep smashing more and more of a little engine and expect longevity. Its a throw away world.

andio

Squid
In regards to the COVID tax on used bike sales, I'm 100% an advocate for bluntly pointing out to a seller that "Your shit is overpriced you thieving jerk". The typical replies that follow along the lines of mind your own business, fuck off you don't know what you're talking about etc etc.
I'm so all for pointing out that something is overpriced that I give credit to the people who discuss such things in the forums. Don't be a penny pincher, don't be like that turd Chopsticks. A used bike isn't worth what you're asking for it.
Presumably when the market changes and there’s and oversupply of bikes (or cars or boats or houses or whatever) and it’s a buyers market, you’re then happy to pay more than what a buyer is asking because that would be the “true value” item?

Not having a go at you personally, just pointing out the potential hypocracy in these kind of statements about people taking advantage of market conditions. It goes both ways.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Just say no to a wrangler.
Older shorty patrols went well.
Would love a shorty if they came in a vintage that doesn't outdate me (my lack of mechanical aptitude negates the possibility of keeping one of these on the road).

Jeez Wrangler or Defender. Not much of a choice there both are equally mediocre. Good luck
Happy to consider any other options SWB, wagon, manual, low range, 50mm hitch. Anything that springs to mind?

mark22

Likes Dirt
Would love a shorty if they came in a vintage that doesn't outdate me (my lack of mechanical aptitude negates the possibility of keeping one of these on the road).

Happy to consider any other options SWB, wagon, manual, low range, 50mm hitch. Anything that springs to mind?
As mentioned by moorey Patrols are a good vehicle or Landcruiser Prado maybe. Both would be very reliable if service history is up to date. Both great off road. Diesel only as the petrols are guzzlers.

moorey

call me Mia
As mentioned by moorey Patrols are a good vehicle or Landcruiser Prado maybe. Both would be very reliable if service history is up to date. Both great off road. Diesel only as the petrols are guzzlers.
Petrol are thirsty, and useless in many extreme conditions. The downside with older GQ/GU’s is that any that have been setup for serious off-roading, have been thrashed within an inch of their lives.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Lots of maintenance required for any front live axle 4wd. If you want to do it properly. Also the cheaper jeeps front end is about as well engineered as a crank bros wheelset. Maybe not as good.

Almost nothing in swb any more that I can think of unless it is ancient. Every 4wd is a compromise. Good off road is usually shit as a commuter and vice versa. Only reason I still have the Prado is I cannot think of anything better to build up and it suits what we do. Maybe the new MUX or if Ford put a body on the next Ranger. I have had 3 dual cabs and wont go there again.

I also wont go diesel again, just want a nice simple 5 seat wagon with petrol hybrid...

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
All this car price talk, looked up E30 BMW's. Sheesh!

Electric motor for my E30 arrives this week, I got a price on a battery pack. I took the ICE out of the E30 in 2015, the pack I could have got then for $13000 would not be powerful enough for the motor I've ended up with, and been around 20kWh. Now I can get a 35kWh pack with enough power for the motor for about that money. I won't be getting the pack for at least a year, so hopefully battery cells don't follow the trend of bikes and keep going down.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
While this is nominally a yarn about underemployment, it's also an interesting take on the market forces propelling everything to stupid prices.

And given we are not travelling anywhere, the cash many Australians would spend offshore – at $55 billion, more than twice that of foreign tourists coming here – is being spent at home.
That's an amazing statistic. Shows how much we 'need' international tourism then.

moorey

call me Mia
Would be nice if it was the new norm, but I’ll wager that the second restrictions are lifted, everyone returns to international travel even more.

moorey

call me Mia
Could be worse. UK treats carbon spewing Ryannair air coaches for quick jaunts to Spain and co as a necessity. Well, pre-Brexit anyway.
Yes, and that’s shite, but it’s a few minutes flight in reality.....
Aussies flying interstate for a weekend is a bigger carbon issue, though the discussion is about spending the money within Aus.
I say this as someone driving 1000km return for an MTB race regularly, so I’m not innocent.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Aussies flying interstate for a weekend is a bigger carbon issue, though the discussion is about spending the money within Aus.
I say this as someone driving 1000km return for an MTB race regularly, so I’m not innocent.

while HIFI will have lots to say, carbon offsetting your vehicle emissions is cheap.

greenfleet.com.au will cost you $97 bucks a year for 6.5 tons of capture.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
How dare you partake in society.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Last edited: