XC Tyres

Slowman

Likes Dirt
i dont think anyone is interested in your choice of prophylactic , unless u post a pic with one atop your skull
Have you seen the avatar? :D That's not an egg shell being worn!

Just on topic for a second, the new Racing Ralph rear and Racing Ray front on the hard tail 29er, Racing Ralph rear, Nobby Nic front on the 429c and a pair of Ikons on the 650B converted XCc Blur.

Ikons are slower than RRs for sure on the road but on the trail it doesn't seem to make much difference. The more they wear the faster they're getting on the road (I ride 6/7km to the trails nearby). My surf check 29er complete with rack also has ikons - they are a really good easy to set up tubeless tyre, I haven't needed my air compressor yet.

I want to try a set of Conti Race Kings - supposed to be the fastest rolling out there.

Last edited:

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Ikons are slower than RRs for sure on the road but on the trail it doesn't seem to make much difference. The more they wear the faster they're getting on the road (I ride 6/7km to the trails nearby). My surf check 29er complete with rack also has ikons - they are a really good easy to set up tubeless tyre, I haven't needed my air compressor yet.
Liking the news on the Ikon, I've just now bought an Ikon/Ardent combo cheap for Mr 10's new bike, he won't be doing anything too extreme and the bike will most likely spend more time on tarmac so I was a wee bit hesitant to go with a DHF/Aggressor.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I quite dig the Maxxis Crossmark II as a a good XC-biased reasonably versatile tyre. The tread blocks are more open and angled than the original Crossmark pattern, so although still not what you'd call a wet weather-optimised tyre, are much more forgiving when the dirt gets slick; similarly, the revised block shape & spacing grabs loose stuff better, without really losing rolling efficiency.

Like the old Crossmark, there is good communication when it's losing grip, but grip/slip threshold is higher, which is always good because it gives good play room, and warning when it's finding its limit.

The Ikon by contrast rolls well, but gives very little warning when it's running ouf of grip, so ends up being very sketchy on mixed surfaces, also the very fine tread blocks are even more averse to wet weather than the old Crossmark pattern.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...I want to try a set of Conti Race Kings - supposed to be the fastest rolling out there.
As a rear tyre they are very fast rolling and have a surprising amount of grip in most circumstances especially when new. You need to get the German made ones with the black chilli rubber compound. They are not great on pea sized gravel over hardpack.

The new Racing Ralph rear is better in those circumstances and not much slower rolling.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I’d go it loooooong before an RR or conti race etc. Not competing for sheep stations here, but when I lean it over, I want it to bite.
Would only bite if there's sufficient material to sink those ridiculous lugs into

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I’d go it loooooong before an RR or conti race etc. Not competing for sheep stations here, but when I lean it over, I want it to bite.
Agreed but I found that tyre to 'bite' even when completely upright. Too squared off IMO and this was on ID 25 rims. I found it not that fast when rolling in a straight line with those minion side lugs engaging so much...but each to their own. Prefer the E13 SS over the minion, even the specialized slaughter i liked better. Michelin Force AM is faster than both, not as bitey when leant over though.