Mtb prices gone stupid: The Renovation, Planning Permission & Fkn Tradies (and climate change and dog breeding ethics, +greyhound appreciation) Thread

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ive been trying to get my block subdivided for two years... Council and planners and heritage advisers all conspiring to make it a monumental headfuck...
Bureaucrats are the good guys, remember? Just wait until you deal with the tradies.
Between the chunts, they have worked it out how to extract every bit of equity or if you have little equity, leave you with 2 houses with severe negative equity.
It just wasn't worth doing in the end, the 3 builders I spoke to knew what I was trying to do and all three had similar extortionate pricing for completely different houses.
The council had their oar in and massive fees for everything, including 20k just to subdivide the title.

The basic off the plan house advertised at $209k ends up at $380k, its a business that needs a shake up like they way the Real Estate business got their wings clipped a few years ago.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Between the chunts, they have worked it out how to extract every bit of equity or if you have little equity, leave you with 2 houses with severe negative equity.
It just wasn't worth doing in the end, the 3 builders I spoke to knew what I was trying to do and all three had similar extortionate pricing for completely different houses.
The council had their oar in and massive fees for everything, including 20k just to subdivide the title.

The basic off the plan house advertised at $209k ends up at $380k, its a business that needs a shake up like they way the Real Estate business got their wings clipped a few years ago.
The building game is full of legal criminals, we have quite a large chunk of land in an industrial area and had about 5 large development sites beside our place, every developer has been a pure cock head threatening us with solicitors and council cusping their scrotum like they have 24 carrot gold eggs. I reckon it's taken 10 years off my life, I've never seen such a regulated industry that's unregulated in the end. One of the developers even told a real estate agent that they had first option at buying our land and we've never even considered selling, they would be the last pricks of earth that I would sell to after all the grief they made us go through.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Correct.

Still rather that renovated than a shittily built project home.
It was near impossible to get anyone to do renovation projects when we needed to and we ended up on the project home option path as a plan C.

Our experience is a bit of an It is an eye opener to something not being right in the market at the moment.

Wifey found the dream house just before covid. So we tried to book in some builders to fix up a few issues like a dodgy roof before we sold our place. It was very hard to get anyone interested as most are working on new house projects.

Our house went on the market just after Covid broke out. 80 people turned up to the open house when the worst recession had just hit. It sold that weekend for more then what we were asking. The guy we were buying off had a breakdown at the last minute and pulled out on us and took his house off the market. We tried to buy another house as plan B and they wanted way too much for it. They also took his house off the marker as well and it sold about 6 months later for what they wanted.

We were technically homeless at that point so decided to rent. What a rip off that is.

We could not find another place that was better then what we just sold so we parked out money in a block of land. Block of land lead to project home build that falls under the green fields Complying development code. So far the budget is looking way better to build new and get more stuff then to buy an existing home. We can already sell the land now to make a decent profit after laying out costs. it is just madness or some one is sitting on fake money somewhere up the chain.

Minlak

custom titis
So we tried to book in some builders to fix up a few issues like a dodgy roof before we sold our place. It was very hard to get anyone interested as most are working on new house projects.
I am capable of doing most home renovation jobs myself - I just don't want to- I am forced to d it anyway as it is currently impossible to pay anyone to do it. Had to fit my own kitchen appliances and change light switches / lights / ceiling fans.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm with Minlak .

I have some good contacts and i'm sure there are decent builders in 'builder land '

But , like with my cars ,bikes , house - i just do it myself
Can only blame me when it goes upside down - and i control all inputs /aspects/ outgoings / fuck ups myself .
occasionally - a punch in the nuts is warranted

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I am capable of doing most home renovation jobs myself - I just don't want to- I am forced to d it anyway as it is currently impossible to pay anyone to do it.
I never have anyone at my house to do anything.

Have completely reno'd 3 houses now on my own, including the one I bought last year in Melrose. Its basically impossible to get a tradie up there anyway even if I needed one.

Complete house paint, inside and out.
Facias all stripped, primed and repainted.
Window frames all stripped, primed and repainted.
Complete roof resto on main roof, carport and veranda.
75m of new guttering fitted, all plumbed to 20,000L rain water tanks.
New lights, powerpoints and switches throughout.
Kitchen revamp with new worktops.
New locks and deadlocks on every door, window and screen door.
New blinds/curtains fitted throughout.
Furnished the whole house.
48m of wooden flooring to kitchen, living areas (still to do)
Paint eves.
Fit alarm.

Still a few things to do, knee op next week so it will be mid May before I start the flooring which will only take a day, the prep to lay flooring 275km from home takes more time than doing the job, no rush now anyway, 95% done.