The QUICK question thread.....

Scotty675

Cable thief
I will only sand pads (like this morning) when fitting new rotor to good pads. Removes any high spots in the pads to make a flat surface again.

moorey

call me Mia
It doesn't lock up after a few months so I thought maybe sandpaper would help. Maybe I just need some alcohol on the rotor?
Cook pads, cool them slowly, fit them back the same way they came out, clean rotors with metho/acetone/isopropyl.
Bed back in.
Or, maybe you also need a bleed.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It doesn't lock up after a few months so I thought maybe sandpaper would help. Maybe I just need some alcohol on the rotor?
What brake is it? A lot of people expect a locked up primitive Hayes HFX-9 style feel from a brake that isn't designed to do that.

If you're putting alcohol on the rotor, use something high octane...beer won't help much.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Cook pads, cool them slowly, fit them back the same way they came out, clean rotors with metho/acetone/isopropyl.
Bed back in.
Or, maybe you also need a bleed.
Now I need a bleed kit! I assume the full Shimano one with the cup, tube and syringe is the go?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Shimano MT400 with an rt66 rotor
Without wanting to make you feel bad, you may be getting all the power they have to offer. Other than not getting full lock up for mad skids, as you often under braked and failing to negotiate trail features because of the brakes?

Now I need a bleed kit! I assume the full Shimano one with the cup, tube and syringe is the go?
Well it is one way to go...they are an easy design to bleed up. You could O ultra budget and just squirt home brand baby oil into the lever reservoir...it won't be perfect, but it will work for a time. Nobody has yet proven the baby oil hypothesis wrong! I loaded one of my bikes up with it and rode it for months without issue. Then someone stole it and I will never know just how long I could push it.

HamboCairns

Without wanting to make you feel bad, you may be getting all the power they have to offer. Other than not getting full lock up for mad skids, as you often under braked and failing to negotiate trail features because of the brakes?

Well it is one way to go...they are an easy design to bleed up. You could O ultra budget and just squirt home brand baby oil into the lever reservoir...it won't be perfect, but it will work for a time. Nobody has yet proven the baby oil hypothesis wrong! I loaded one of my bikes up with it and rode it for months without issue. Then someone stole it and I will never know just how long I could push it.
True true, I'm thinking I may need to look at a four pot for the front.

HamboCairns

The lower end shimano on Naomi’s bike have a screw in rather than bleed nipple if you have that, the funnel and basic syringe type won’t work.
Mmm I'll have to find out how to bleed them. I'm working in standardising all the bike specs so we all have 29ers (Inc 152cm tall 11 year old), Shimano brakes and tubeless wheels!

moorey

call me Mia

Plenty of power on Naomi’s. 500’s though. Came on bike. Not familiar with these later models in the lower end.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
True true, I'm thinking I may need to look at a four pot for the front.
You do whatever brakes you feel you need. But of you go multi pot and anything less than saint, you'll be wasting your money.

This bleed kit appears to be filled with quality parts to perform the required bleed:

But that will be less money for your new brakes...which will also need a bleed at some point.