Is there an alternative to FiveTen Freerider Pro?

teK--

Eats Squid
Quick review on the new 2FO Roost after the first 3 days riding. Using on DMR Vaults.

Sole is fairly thick and stiff. Definitely moreso than Shimano GR9/GR7, and a lot stiffer/thicker than Freeriders.

The 'metatarsel button' is meant to spread the bones behind your toes to reduce nerve pressure. I bought this type of insert a few years ago and use them in my road riding shoes. It works but will take a little while to get used to on the MTB as your foot is not always clipped into the same position. Might end up swapping them for standard insoles.

Upside is the thicker sole gives very good dampening, but they will take a longer to wear in.

The rubber is very very grippy when dry. I cannot tell the difference from Stealth rubber. However, when it became wet and with silt and sand on them, the grip dropped off quickly, when I haven't had this issue with Stealth. Will see if this improves when the sole wears in with some flex, and some wear grooves for the pins to sit into.

Hike a bike has very good grip climbing up the trail. Grip on granite rockface is phenomenal; like Stealth rubber. Again the soles are too stiff at the moment to do a full assessment.

Positively, if you are in between sizes for 510s, you will love that this shoe has half sizes, 42.5, 43.0, 43.5 etc. Fit seems to be medium width. I have wide feet and had to go from my usual 43 up to 43.5 to have enough toe box room.

Now comes to the annoying part; The tongue is way too short. It slides down and exposes the pointy/hard corner of the side cuff, which then digs into the soft tisue at front of your ankle joint.

Will have to get some of the spare helmet pads I have and sew an extension to the tongue so there is proper coverage:

PJO

in me vL comy
If anyone is able to get their shoes resoled, post up which place you went with. Have tried unsuccessfully to get in contact with Big John for over a month so I have given up on them.
Had a mate get his climbing shoes resoled from Big John's recently. Got them back last week.
Not sure why you would have no luck, maybe doesn't do MTB shoes??

teK--

Eats Squid
Had a mate get his climbing shoes resoled from Big John's recently. Got them back last week.
Not sure why you would have no luck, maybe doesn't do MTB shoes??
He does do MTB shoes; I was able to get a reply and quote from him late last year. No doubt since the Covid restrictions were lifted he has been smashed with work and is prioritisting climbing shoes over oddball requests like ours.

Which is a shame as the GR7 fit me like a glove it's just the soles could be grippier.

Reactions: PJO

sbm

Likes Bikes
Big John's always had a rep with my climbing mates for "casual" service...for starters they're a niche sports store, in a weekend destination town for that sport, that's closed most of the weekend!

To be fair they just moved locations too, it was all a bit of a mess last time I dropped by with stock split between the stores.

Reactions: PJO

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Also, rock climbing, like MTB, has fking exploded. There's like four guys in the country that do resoles and an endless supply of gumbys skidding their La Sportivas to death all over rough indoor bouldering walls.
I take exception to that! But correct, I have been shredding my La Sportivas to death on bouldering walls, along with my knees on occasion. It makes for a great lunchtime workout and is far more engaging that the gym.

For MTB though, I've opted for a pair of the Northwave Clan's to replace my aging Freeriders. I've yet to wear them as I'm averse to totalling them in the wet first ride, but will check back in when I get a chance to give them a whirl. They look good in the box though.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I take exception to that! But correct, I have been shredding my La Sportivas to death on bouldering walls, along with my knees on occasion. It makes for a great lunchtime workout and is far more engaging that the gym.

For MTB though, I've opted for a pair of the Northwave Clan's to replace my aging Freeriders. I've yet to wear them as I'm averse to totalling them in the wet first ride, but will check back in when I get a chance to give them a whirl. They look good in the box though.
I do like my NW clan's, but the grip is nowhere near as good as the 5.10's.

If I'm riding rowdy stuff, I grab the 5.10's.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I do like my NW clan's, but the grip is nowhere near as good as the 5.10's.

If I'm riding rowdy stuff, I grab the 5.10's.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
Yeah, I bought them on the basis that would probably be the case. I've got a pair of Impact's around as well, which I pull out when planning for something more adventurous. The Clan's are intended to be more of an everyday thing across all my bikes & for when the conditions are ideal. If they perform well in that, then I'll use them more.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I too bought some clans to offset the bulky 5-10 karvers I normally ride in. They're ok, but I wouldn't rely on them in anything other than optimal conditions. Unfortunately they don't stick as well in the dry and lose a lot in the wet, casual use only.

I actually just got given a set of sleuths, 5-10 with the addidas logo on them. I'm fairly impressed so far, stick like glue in the dry, possibly even better than my karvers ( )

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Just comparing the sleuths to the tribes (sorry, not clan) and found my sole torn open. I can't have worn these much more than a handful of times! It's a bummer, I want to like them, but they're not going to last and the grip is well sub par

Also as a size guide, the sleuths are a much larger shoe. Tribes might be a touch wider, and probably are a bit more comfy for me. Both of these are a us11

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Couple more reviews

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Most of the sikafelx has finally undone from my shoe, threw the rest of the sikaflex tube away last time as I punctured the squeeze tube trying to unblock it. I've just ordered some Ride Concept livewires from pushys to replace them.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The Ride Concepts turned up today, they are a little tight around the front of my foot just like the Freerider pro's I have. I wish they would make cycling shoes for people with duck feet, there's close to 3/4" to an 1" gap between my big toe and the front inside of the shoe, not much chance of me going any bigger as I always catch the front of my foot on rocks with the extra over hang. The quality of manufacture looks on par to the Free riders, the rubber on the tread seems to be a little harder too.

Last edited:

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
The Ride Concepts turned up today, they are a little tight around the front of my foot just like the Freerider pro's I have. I wish they would make cycling shoes for people with duck feet, there's close to 3/4" to an 1" gap between my big toe and the front inside the shoe, not much chance of me going any bigger as I always catch the front of my foot on rocks with the extra over hang. The quality of manufacture looks on par to the Free riders, the rubber on the tread seems to be a little harder too.

View attachment 373859
Did you manage to try some Specialized 2FO Roost shoes?

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
Most of the sikafelx has finally undone from my shoe, threw the rest of the sikaflex tube away last time as I punctured the squeeze tube trying to unblock it. I've just ordered some Ride Concept livewires from pushys to replace them.

View attachment 373749
This is me with my repaired 5 tens as well...the sika tears to easily and the stealth rubber holes just get bigger. Down to one pair now and not sold on the 2FO as they feel too high on the pedal, maybe not enough flex like the 5-10s. I will probably just get another pair of 5-10s if I can find some in my size. I may also look into Etnies if I can find a local bike shop that stocks them.