Rotorburn strava

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
3rd party was using a Wahu (I think) GPS, and I use my phone. Not sure what you used though, but subtle differences in hardware and gps's could account for the differences...
I also used my phone. And ours were pretty close.

Hrm.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Followed the other half through Derby tunnel, both using the same garmins linked to the same phones. She was 13s, I was 2min+.

Most rides where I follow her, so our times should be identical, there are differences.

I almost always end up doing more km, and more elevation too.

Identical set ups.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I also used my phone. And ours were pretty close.
Yeah GPS can be a bit variable, particularly on twisty single track where the pings might not be close enough together to collect every twist and turn of every metre of track, or where dense tree cover disrupts the satellite connection etc... Also Strava will take your data and reconcile it against other users and their basemap etc to identify segments and so on so there can be some unpredictability in outcomes. Could be that the other guy's Wahoo collected/calculates data differently - or just that he forgot to press "start" until halfway up the first climb...

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Followed the other half through Derby tunnel, both using the same garmins linked to the same phones. She was 13s, I was 2min+.

Most rides where I follow her, so our times should be identical, there are differences.

I almost always end up doing more km, and more elevation too.

Identical set ups.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
The Derby Tunnel is a weird one. In November 2019 I got a KOM on that of 3 seconds!!! Fricken Time Warp through the tunnel.

I was mildly disappointed a few months later when someone pipped me by a second with a stunning time of 2s! That's happened a few more times since, so I'm now in 4th place... Just gotta get back there I suppose and really put the effort it o_O

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I may end my subscription. I do like the route building feature and the safety beacon but my Lezyne does that anyway.

Segments and leaderboards (probably one of the key unique features of Strava) are becoming a joke anyway with the all the eebs.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I may end my subscription. I do like the route building feature and the safety beacon but my Lezyne does that anyway.

Segments and leaderboards (probably one of the key unique features of Strava) are becoming a joke anyway with the all the eebs.
I was premium from about 2013 till about 2019, then cancelled mine and got one of my boys premium.

Been on the free account for 3yrs now and have not missed any of the features. Though didnt mind looking at my heatmap occasionally ;)

Strava needs the data of free users to build their database so dont think they are giving you something for nothing, you get the minimum required for them to compile your ride data.

There will be a lot of people drop out.

It only $15 they are screaming... the price of an after ride crafty. Add that to all the other small subscriptions that people may make per month, Strava, Netflix, Zwift, Kayo, Prime, YouTube, Disney, Foxtel, virus protection, gym membership etc... shit adds up and if you dont need it, drop it.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I like seeing who rode the same tracks that day, and figuring out who I saw on the trails. That's about it.

Pretty sure non subscribers get the beacon now anyway?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Finding trails with the heat maps is a big one, I can't remember but assuming non subscribers don't get that?

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Never subscribed to Strava until last month. Before Christmas they were offering 2 months extra for free and then checked the price and $100. Narrr. Then after Christmas they offered a huge discount which brought the price down to $74 Not great but better so thought I would give it a go. Majority of my riding is solo so it’s nice to check past efforts to see how I have gone on various sections. If renewal jumps which I am expecting it will then will cancel and go back to the free version.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yeah screw that, just cancelled my subscription and left them a prickly parting message, over 10 years of subscription for me comes to an end in June.

Any competing offers that are any good?
Thats the only way. Talk with your wallet.

Even the last few years I was subscribed, I didn't use anything more that I get on the free platform.

Same with MTBA/CyclingAus, I used it for maybe 1 or 2 races a year and just paid it out of habit until they fucked me over in 2020 by running 3 new race memberships to zero during the corona lockdown. Over $400 of memberships paid for nothing.

Funny that people are happy to pay a subscription till they get slapped in the face, then forced to make a decision one way or the other.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Dropped it a while back, though about it again and saw a 50% off special, when checked was double the old price when the annual deal ended.
If I ride fast enough i don’t need to payto see my name haha

Flow-Rider

Burner
Looks like I've been able to keep up with my mini tour de Brisbane, bike path life is just a whole new experience from 6 years ago. One of my knees has been giving me a bit of grief, but still able to chug along. I was going to try some centuries, but that might be pushing the friendship with my crutch a little at this stage.

1673781133909.png

1673781285267.png