Is there an alternative to FiveTen Freerider Pro?

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
Follow up feedback on the Specialized 2FO's, grip so far seems as good as 5 Tens, used them at BMX yesterday on a wet race night and had zero issues with grip. They felt a bit higher than my 5 Tens on the pedal due to the thicker sole, and the suede finish on the uppers collected a lot of mud/dirt but remained dry inside. Time will tell for durability...fingers crossed. So far they seem to be a suitable replacement and hopefully they remain available in Australia in my size unlike 5 Tens.

Minlak

custom titis
Follow up feedback on the Specialized 2FO's, grip so far seems as good as 5 Tens, used them at BMX yesterday on a wet race night and had zero issues with grip. They felt a bit higher than my 5 Tens on the pedal due to the thicker sole, and the suede finish on the uppers collected a lot of mud/dirt but remained dry inside. Time will tell for durability...fingers crossed. So far they seem to be a suitable replacement and hopefully they remain available in Australia in my size unlike 5 Tens.
They have changed the model and the name a few times but so far have been around a while - Available is a very subjective term I need size 48 and been waiting since August for stock - and the price has now gone up as well.

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
Selling for 205 at Pump'N'Pedals in Cairns, give them a call and see if they have any 48's. They will likely be willing to send them to you if they do.

Last edited:

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I think I bought the very last size 48 in Australia!

They're very durable and easy to clean. I had caked on Cairns mud and it just brushed off no worries as good as new.

I also like how they grip really well but still allow you to reposition your feet easily. I can only compare these to my first shoes which were Shimano with the older sole technology (can't remember the name now) but I confidently say they are leagues better.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I guess for me, the 2FO at $200+ is the same as Freerider Pro so they need to bring something to the table (durability ) for me to change.

I started the thread as from a performance perspective the Freerider Pros are the perfect mix for me, grip and fit. Sole is right thickness for pedal feel yet stiff enough, they look good enough, and i can ride all day with comfort.

But......... they wear out awfully quick on DMR Vaults for a $220 shoe. If I was sponsored with a cupboard full I wouldnt even consider changing shoes.... but i'm not and perhaps I can give a bit of what the Freerider has in order to get a bit more value from my purchases.

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
The thinner sole on the 5 Tens definitely gives better feel on the pedals.

I got the 2FO's to replace warrantied Leatt's and to give me the chance to Sikaflex the holes in my 5 tens' to keep them going for a bit longer.

They have actually surprised me with the level of grip on the sole especially after being disappointed by Leatt DBX3's that had no where the level of grip claimed by reviewers and were not that comfortable for daily use as a casual shoe.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
The thinner sole on the 5 Tens definitely gives better feel on the pedals.

I got the 2FO's to replace warrantied Leatt's and to give me the chance to Sikaflex the holes in my 5 tens' to keep them going for a bit longer.

They have actually surprised me with the level of grip on the sole especially after being disappointed by Leatt DBX3's that had no where the level of grip claimed by reviewers and were not that comfortable for daily use as a casual shoe.
What was the warranty for on the Leatt's?

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Well i havent been convinced by anyone in this thread that I shouldn't open the new pair of Freerider Pros i have sitting in my closet and use them for however long they last.

Next time when i have to outlay some $$$ i think I'll have a look around or resurrect this thread and complain again........ so expect that in about 3 months when the pins of my Vaults are already through my shoes.

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
Fixed the holes in my Freerider Pros with some sikaflex they seem to be holding together so far, still use my other five tens for BMX as the pedal feel due to the thinner sole is much more stable. (amazing what a difference 5-10 mm makes)
I wear the 2FOs daily now as an office shoe with after work 30-45 minute pump track sessions on the BMX around 2-3 times a week, so will see how they hold up to this.
Five Tens are still king for grip and feel in my books and depending how my repair holds up I will eventually get another Pair to replace my existing ones.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Something to consider i suppose... only $80 and if it works could be a really good alternative.... i'll do some more research on that.
there are a couple of dudes in Oz who resole climbing shoes. they may still have the 5.10 stealth dot kits. pretty sure 5.10 MTB shoes use that rubber

Big Johns Retreads would be first port of call to contact, IMO

teK--

Eats Squid
If anyone is able to get their shoes resoled, post up which place you went with. Have tried unsuccessfully to get in contact with Big John for over a month so I have given up on them.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
If anyone is able to get their shoes resoled, post up which place you went with. Have tried unsuccessfully to get in contact with Big John for over a month so I have given up on them.
Posted this before, it's Vibram rubber not Stealth but might be harder to get Stealth since the Adidas buyout. Haven't used them myself as I haven't run flats in ages, but for $100 it's worth a crack if it doubles the life of your shoes.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got some Ride Concepts Hellions to replace my Five Tens, other than the sizing running small they seem pretty good so far, comfortable and adequate grip, maybe a slight bit less than freeriders but I don't mind it I can reposition my foot a bit easier without having to consciously lift it off the pins.