MTBA Trail Guidelines

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Newly updated, much more in line with modern expectations now. Still a real lack of clarity in the wording of some stuff though.
Still doesn't really address the technical level of trails.

As above, we have fire tracks marked as black diamond here in SA, no features on them whatsoever. Graded black as they have a 20% section.

Ackland

chats d'élevage

As above, we have fire tracks marked as black diamond here in SA, no features on them whatsoever. Graded black as they have a 20% section.
You do love to bring this up.
Fact is, they're marked on maps and signed on reserves as vehicle tracks, plus you can see for yourself that they're a track, not a trail.
As a land manager you need to appropriately address public risks and enable users to make the correct decisions based on their technical and physical ability.
You can injure yourself just as easily (if not more so) on a 20% vehicle track in both directions.
There's a section in black hill where I'm easily exceeding 50kmh on loose gravel. Roos are often out and the track has a drop off on one edge and large trees on the other.
A crash at that speed would be catastrophic but for me it's a calculated risk.
You need a system of showing users and without complicating things with some sort of separate heading for vehicle tracks, you operate within the gradients set by the mtba (AusCycling) TDRS

ozzybmx

You do love to bring this up.
Fact is, they're marked on maps and signed on reserves as vehicle tracks, plus you can see for yourself that they're a track, not a trail.
Yes I do.

The 3 black graded trails in Cleland are Ewoks, Gully track and Kito loop

Now I would bet that you cant ride Ewok ??? But you can fly down the gravel at 150kph on the other 2 tracks :rolleyes:

How can a steep technical trail be graded black the same a shitty fire road.

Might want to update your maps on the website, no Steub on the bike trail map.

Attachments

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Yes I do.

The 3 black graded trails in Cleland are Ewoks, Gully track and Kito loop

Now I would bet that you cant ride Ewok ??? But you can fly down the gravel at 150kph on the other 2 tracks :rolleyes:

How can a steep technical trail be graded black the same a shitty fire road.

Might want to update your maps on the website, no Steub on the bike trail map.
You missed Pengana spur....
I'll pass on steub to the web team and Pete...

Sekt

Likes Dirt

That's pretty standard risk management.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Grading a gravel/dirt road as black diamond just because you are allowed to ride a bicycle on it, makes a mockery of the IMBA grading system.
How would you promote them with appropriate risk info then Billy old lad?

ozzybmx

How would you promote them with appropriate risk info then Billy old lad?

Young whipper-snapper Acko, I can't think of any other parks in SA/Aus that has graded a fire track as a trail. Its a trail rating system.

Put a 'steep' road sign at the bottom and top if really necessary.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Young whipper-snapper Acko, I can't think of any other parks in SA/Aus that has graded a fire track as a trail.
Yep, no other parks...
Anstey Hill
Cobbler Creek
Sturt Gorge
Shepherds Hill
Morialta
Onkaparinga River
Belair
Willowie Forest

Put a 'steep' road sign at the bottom and top if really necessary.
And how does that help with route planning for new visitors?

Edit #1
You'll notice though that if/and/or when we get vehicle tracks onto Trailforks, the just show us as purple but you can click on them and it gives you a climb physical rating so that you can tell which are steep

Edit#2
And no, you can't rely on punters looking at the topography of an area and deciding whats steep, we get visitors who stand at the bottom of a hill, look at it, give it a go, and then email us to complain that the hill is steep and or has loose gravel and they slipped/crashed.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Yep, no other parks...
Anstey Hill
Cobbler Creek
Sturt Gorge
Shepherds Hill
Morialta
Onkaparinga River
Belair
Willowie Forest

And how does that help with route planning for new visitors?
Really ! Can you link me a map that shows the fire road and their IMBA rating. Can't seem to find it for any of the above.

Route planning, what a disappointment coming to rAdelaide to ride Cleland, thinking its a bike park with IMBA rating, just to find the 4 black trails are steep dirt tracks.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Really ! Can you link me a map that shows the fire road and their IMBA rating. Can't seem to find it for any of the above.

Route planning, what a disappointment coming to rAdelaide to ride Cleland, thinking its a bike park with IMBA rating, just to find the 4 black trails are steep dirt tracks.
You're confusing a Mountain Bike Park with a National Park that allows Bikes

ozzybmx

You're confusing a Mountain Bike Park with a National Park that allows Bikes
Not feeling confused...

No links either ?

Belair is a NP with no IMBA ratings on trails. Cleland is a Conservation Park according to your website ?

The rest of the above are also Conservation and Recreation parks.

The fact is, someone classified every bicycle permitted path/road/trail in Cleland with the IMBA trail rating system and they are not all actual trails.

Its wrong, take yourself to Derby and ride Trouty, come back and freewheel down your Pengana Spur, then justify the black diamond.

ozzybmx

Edit#2
And no, you can't rely on punters looking at the topography of an area and deciding whats steep, we get visitors who stand at the bottom of a hill, look at it, give it a go, and then email us to complain that the hill is steep and or has loose gravel and they slipped/crashed.
I feel your pain mate, cant fix stupid. Next there will be confined space signs on the caves and handrails around the lakes and rivers.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Is anyone able to confirm that this is what MTBA is talking about when they say "either side of the trail corridor downward slope"?

1671251804263.png

1671251329924.png

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Is anyone able to confirm that this is what MTBA is talking about when they say "either side of the trail corridor downward slope"?

View attachment 395383

View attachment 395382
That's correct, in order to be classified as Green the area that you've highlighted cannot be greater than 10% grade at any point along the trail i.e. at a point 10m beside the trail the terrain cannot be more than 1m below the trail.