Tyre inserts - Tried them yet?

moorey

call me Mia
Full disclosure..The one I was trying to repair/replace had a cut probably too big for sealant or a plug....and the valve was too clogged up to barely get air, let alone sealant in. I think this kid has been riding it for a while with the hole and pumping up every 10 minutes.
I’m not anti insert...I’m just pro convenience. I’m not killing tyres as it is, but change tyres around a lot, based on mood.
I see a place for them, and a time Felix will need a rear as minimum. In the meantime, his exo DD is more than doing the job. I prefer weight/strength focus of go on his rims, so he runs DH rims on the trail bike. I bought a cushcore for him 18 months ago, it will get a gurnsey at some stage.

Jpez

Down on the left!
There is definitely a knack and I’ve struggled on a couple of tires usually when my patience is already thin. Most of the time though it’s fine.
A mate of mine at Falls creek on the weekend managed to flat his tire with CC inserted and couldn’t get it to re bead. Huge rock strike to the rim. Took the CC out trailside in 5 minutes and tube in. Only issue was he had to carry the goopy CC back to the car. No big deal as it was all down hill anyway
Not for everyone but for my near 100kg riding weight and plow over and through all the things it works very well for me.

Anyway. Run it if you want. Don’t if you don’t. Simples.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been running a ghetto setup with backing rod for years now, the number one advantage of it is that if I tear a tyre I can still ride home. It has saved me or my close riding mates on at least half a dozen occasions in the time period.
Have ridden 5-10km on tyre and foam multiple times.

*We are lucky enough to live locally to Silvan, so driving to and from the trails is not something we ever do.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I’ve ordered a set or Nukeproof ARD, they were cheap and I’ve always been insert-curious... I’m planning just run it in the rear. I’m 102kg’s nude and figure it may help look after my rims.

I’ll post my thoughts after I ride the Youies on Saturday...
I've got some ARDs arriving with some rims tomorrow, I'll post a half assed review about them
I look forward to hearing how you lads go. I got a set to try and fit to my Bontrager carbon rims and gave up. They're sitting on the shelf waiting for another go one day. I just couldn't get the tyre to bead over the insert. Maybe now, after the tyre has done some mileage and the bead is a bit looser it might go in. From what I understand the rim design can play a big part too..

PJO

in me vL comy
What's the secret?
It's no big a secret, all the videos will tell you to push the tyre bead into the rim well. You HAVE to do this step, use a tyre lever and push it right down in there and go systematically around the rim. A park tools tyre lever works a treat, but I'm sure others would too.

I reckon Spank rims would be the hardest because of the "ooohbah" profile which seems to have a shallower bed, I haven't used cushcore on these rims but we have a set and they are harder to get tyres on even without cushcore.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Suddenly ProCore sounds very user friendly. I have done a trail side flat repair while sweating, hyperventilating, and in low light conditions. It‘s not cheap but worth a shot.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Are you looking at the Pro version? A box of two Standard inserts with valves is £51.74 inc shipping (AU$94).
Yeah I was looking at Pro as the dual-density appealed; thought it might also add a bit more sidewall support. But I'd happily go with standard if you're interested in taking one of them. Cheap enough at $52 (splitting the Auspost parcel) to be worth a try.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Has anyone had any experience riding with the Vittoria Airliners? They seem like a pretty easy system to install/remove

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Had ARDs, still used them, but only on rims wider than 25mm and with tyres with softer sidewalls (which I've bought for stoopid low $$). They stopped me from dinting rims. So I can only say they work. I haven't stretched mine out yet, so idk how others did so.

Had them on 25mm rims, and they were nightmare to remove or install. Make sure u have few spare tyre levers because chances are you will break them. I've broken at least 2 when installing them on 25mm rims.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Top vid....I've watched a lot of experienced people change a tyre with cushcore.....that's not a typical experience. Absolute bullshit. Sorry.
If you think cushcore is hard try changing a rear motocross tyre by hand that's a few years old and gone stiff.

A lot of people probably don't have the hand strength to manipulate the tyre back on, which is understandable for people that don't often work with their hands all the time. Some rim designs will be better than others too.

moorey

call me Mia
If you think cushcore is hard try changing a rear motocross tyre by hand that's a few years old and gone stiff.

A lot of people probably don't have the hand strength to manipulate the tyre back on, which is understandable for people that don't often work with their hands all the time. Some rim designs will be better than others too.
That guy just did everything wrong if you ask me. Starting at the valve is the first mistake, because you can’t push the bead into the valley.

moorey

call me Mia
Nothing to do with hand strength pushing the bead in, more about getting it to stay there with the insert constantly pushing it out again.

teK--

Eats Squid
You're somewhat missing the point..... Punctures or not, tyres need to be replaced eventually, simply because they wear out. There is a fundamental problem with a product when it turns a routine five-minute job into an hour-plus ordeal.
If it takes 1 hour plus then user needs more practice. It takes me 15-20mins but tyres are lasting 6-9 months so it's not an inconvenience .

teK--

Eats Squid
What's the secret?
Fit one side of tyre first.

Fit it the cushcore.

Push the fitted side into the rim well. Put your sealant in, then starting from side opposite the valve on the unfitted side, go around the circumference pushing the bead under the cushcore and into the rim valley , keeping pressure all the time to stop it popping back up.

For the final few inches you may need to use a tyre lever just to lightly pop the bead over, but don't go crazy with it or u can damage the bead.

Massage the tyre all around on both the sides to ensure the bead is sitting evenly and not twisted.

Now inflate.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That guy just did everything wrong if you ask me. Starting at the valve is the first mistake, because you can’t push the bead into the valley.
That might be your problem as the valve end is stopping the tyre from dropping into the valley of the bed and the other would be the Stans Flow you love so much that have a short rim wall and tight bead diameter. You can Just push the valve in with your hand if you put the bead on last in that area.

moorey

call me Mia
That might be your problem as the valve end is stopping the tyre from dropping into the valley of the bed and the other would be the Stans Flow you love so much that have a short rim wall and tight bead diameter. You can Just push the valve in with your hand if you put the bead on last in that area.

View attachment 369705
HE starts at the valve, not me.
Never tried on my own Hope and Stans. Other people’s i9, Mavic and bontrager.