Tyre inserts - Tried them yet?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hi all!

I'm looking at getting tyre inserts as I want to run lower pressures but avoid bumping against the rim all the time.

So far I've seen -

Cushcore Pro (Expensive and heavy)
Nukeproof ADR (Inexpensive and light, but they stretch)
Huck Norris (No idea)

And now a new one from Tannus called 'Armour Tubeless' which apparently tests well, is light, inexpensive, doesn't stretch, doesn't absorb sealant and doesn't make tyres hard to put on or take off.

It's not available in Australia yet but I've emailed the distro.

Does anyone else run a tyre insert? Did it change the way you ride, the character of the bike, make you a hero?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Cushcore is the only option worth considering, and your own brain put them at the top of the list for a reason that will become apparent once you've used them for five seconds.

I've had them installed on all my bikes since they were released.
And how have they changed your riding?

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
I use Schwalbe ProCore. Not popular but I cannot fault it. It seems to have been left stagnant as the other inserts develop.
Maybe heavy? Maybe challenging to fix the flat you get occasionally? I got one flat in three years by bottoming out and using all of the travels. And some the next weeks travels.
If you set it up and maintain it properly it is pretty good. You can run very low pressure and never roll the bead off.

PJO

in me vL comy
I can also vouch for Cushcore, have installed it on the rear only of my hardtail. No more pinging rim sounds, I don't feel the need to clench when I run through a rock garden. Haven't tried any of the other options...

Currently running ~13-14psi on 27.5x2.8" Rekon tyre.
Was running around 20psi before installing on the same 27.5x2.8" tyre.
And prior to that had a 29" wheel in there and running 25psi on 2.3" tyre. 2.3" was the max I could fit for 29" wheel size.

Yes it is heavier on the scales, but don't notice it and it is a much smoother ride. The plus sized wheel without Cushcore was a bit better than the 29er wheel, inserting the Cushcore is another increment in smoothness because I can now run lower pressures.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Hi all!

I'm looking at getting tyre inserts as I want to run lower pressures but avoid bumping against the rim all the time.

So far I've seen -

Cushcore Pro (Expensive and heavy)
Nukeproof ADR (Inexpensive and light, but they stretch)
Huck Norris (No idea)

And now a new one from Tannus called 'Armour Tubeless' which apparently tests well, is light, inexpensive, doesn't stretch, doesn't absorb sealant and doesn't make tyres hard to put on or take off.

It's not available in Australia yet but I've emailed the distro.

Does anyone else run a tyre insert? Did it change the way you ride, the character of the bike, make you a hero?
I was in this same spot recently. Wanted to try the Tannus but couldn’t get hold of it. Went with a Cushcore in the rear. Unlike @Zaf I’m not all that impressed. I’ve ridden at Lake Mountain, Red Hill, Silvan and Bright since installing it and not convinced it’s worth the extra weight.
To put it another way: I feel the weight but I don’t feel the reduction in vibration.
I reckon low pressure can be overrated and if you don’t want to ping a rim, just run high 20’s in you rear...

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I was in this same spot recently. Wanted to try the Tannus but couldn’t get hold of it. Went with a Cushcore in the rear. Unlike @Zaf I’m not all that impressed. I’ve ridden at Lake Mountain, Red Hill, Silvan and Bright since installing it and not convinced it’s worth the extra weight.
To put it another way: I feel the weight but I don’t feel the reduction in vibration.
I reckon low pressure can be overrated and if you don’t want to ping a rim, just run high 20’s in you rear...
I reckon I'm with you now after experimentation. I reckon run more pressure and look at tyre selection.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Was that just Hero and Shred or further up Elevation and DH where the real rocks hang out?
I’m a big fan of Cushcore. I like and notice the ride quality. Like having a touch extra travel. Also last I changed tires I noticed a huge amount of marking where I’m sure I would have smashed the rim. I don’t love changing tires and have had some major shit fights getting certain stiffer tires on and off but I still think it’s worth it. Never had to put a tube in trail side since I started running them.

Forget Huck Norris. For my plow riding they were absolutely useless.

danncam

Likes Dirt
I noticed today that the tannus armour tubeless is available online locally. $100 per end. So basically the same as cushcore. I was similarly thinking about it, mainly because I never run as low as the internets tell me I should because I feel that squirm when leaning the bike over. I do weigh almost 90kgs at the mo. The tannus and the CC both seem to help with that issue supposedly.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I've run Huck Norris for quite a while now and haven't had any problems.

I didn't install them for the cushioning / dampening properties, but for flat reduction and rim protection. I have to say they work. Zero flats in the time I've been using them.

I've also recently made a few of my own. Picked up some 20mm thick high density EVA foam from Clark Rubber. 2m long and 50mm wide. I tried 55mm, but it was too wide. 50mm seemed to be the sweet spot and I've run that in 2.4 - 2.6 tyres.

Then I've cut a few strips down the middle and some chunks from the sides to let the sealant flow.

They cost about $25 to make and have held up to a lot of abuse running pretty low pressures (mostly 19-24 psi) on the rear of the hardtail. I've run that exclusively for the last 9 months (65% + at the You Yangs) and I have not had one flat or rim dent and I want exactly running premium rims.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Was that just Hero and Shred or further up Elevation and DH where the real rocks hang out?
I’m a big fan of Cushcore. I like and notice the ride quality. Like having a touch extra travel. Also last I changed tires I noticed a huge amount of marking where I’m sure I would have smashed the rim. I don’t love changing tires and have had some major shit fights getting certain stiffer tires on and off but I still think it’s worth it. Never had to put a tube in trail side since I started running them.

Forget Huck Norris. For my plow riding they were absolutely useless.
Shred Kelly and some lower natural trails today. Elevation on Saturday. Will update if I feel like the cushcore helps on the rockier trails

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After 3 yrs of ghetto cushcore (Kflex) I'm still sold on it.
It's a bit messy and they need to be replaced after a while as it can absorb sealant once it's got a few nicks in it. Then it gets real heavy and you notice it on climbs.

It dampens the bike / tyre and absolutely stops lots of damage. I've still dented my alloy rim on the Prime twice with them but that was some real callous riding I was doing.

The price is comically inexpensive at $12 per end.
It's a bit of a fiddle and can make deflating the tyre a little tricky but works well for protection.

I'm tempted to invest in the real cushcore but the price difference puts paid to that.

moorey

call me Mia
I’m having to do some work on a local kids bike. Cracked the chain stay but fixing other stuff while I wait. Rear tyre was cut from a rim impact. Running Cushcore, but I couldn’t remove it. Got LBS to do it. Took them an hour to get it off. Was waaaaay too wide for the rim.
Cool story, huh? Long story short, I’m not running anything I can’t fix trail side in 2 minutes.