QLD Wangetti Trail (FNQ)

indica

Serial flasher
This trail was proposed by Glen Jacobs of World Trail. He had the idea, proposed the route and pushed the project. Wagner Constructions have been awarded the contract. Interesting the way things work.
Great vision from Glen.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Wagner Constructions have been awarded the contract.
Got a source for that one?
I've been keenly watching this development, have noticed the time slippage and have spoken to Glen a number of times about it.
He'll be pretty gutted if World Trail don't get to build it.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
This trail was proposed by Glen Jacobs of World Trail. He had the idea, proposed the route and pushed the project. Wagner Constructions have been awarded the contract. Interesting the way things work.
Great vision from Glen.

I listened to a podcast a year or so ago when Jacobs was talking about this as his 'legacy' project given his ties to the region.

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
Yep gravel walkway, boardwalk and stairs, looking at what wagners have done previously. To be honest I am concerned the contract winner has no idea how much of a risk rain erosion is up here, I know they are using a Townsville based MTB Trail builder to assist but those guys have only built on rocky Townsville terrain and have had zero rainforest experience.

Quite a few dissapointed MTBers on the QLD Ecotrails FB page.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
The trail started off as a MTB specific trail, then gets flipped into a multi-use and then MTB gets excluded from certain parts of it. I'll bet they'll end up with a POS trail that'll need a ton more money spend on it to fix all the fuck ups from a company that's never built one in the tropics.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I was shocked by the decision, Jacob's would have made a brilliant trail and as it would be his legacy, would have overdelivered for sure.

I bet we get some boring as shite path with rainforest/tropical related issues all the time.

Chunts.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I posted to the FB page -

It could be one of several things -
  1. World Trails didn't complete their tender correctly.
  2. Price was more strongly weighted than tropics experience.
  3. The tender wasn't run correctly and didn't factor in experience with rainforest and tropics trail building.
  4. The Wangetti Trail will be mainly a walking trail and so boardwalk experience is more important than MTB trail building.
World Trail should ask for feedback (which they're entitled to do) and find out where they fell down.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Of note:
World Trail have deleted all videos, posts, photos and maps from their website and socials relating to the Wangetti Trail - Except one very broad video from 4 yrs ago.

I can see the procurement process being challenged

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Of note:
World Trail have deleted all videos, posts, photos and maps from their website and socials relating to the Wangetti Trail - Except one very broad video from 4 yrs ago.

I can see the procurement process being challenged
Was Jacobs acting on behalf of the tourism entity, or world trail, when he engaged with the traditional land owners over many years?

Flow-Rider

Burner