Derby in Tassi

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I know this is the Derby thread but as a followup to my previous post we did indeed make to to Maydena via Maria Island (well worth a day trip or stay). First shuttle up we were a bit nervous and thinking we were out of our depth... got off at the half way point and rode the cross link track to Spirit Quest then rode green trails to the bottom. To be honest at this point we were sorta leaning toward 'nah' more than 'yeah', the trails were 'brake hard, flat corner, short straight, brake hard, flat corner, short straight' and 'green but chopped as fuck making it feel like a black' but we had a snack and jumped back on the bus but this time to the top.

View from the lookout is amazing, and this time I really loved the green trails down to the midpoint - they were slightly rockier but had so much more flow. Sure there were some steep bits but it was manageable. Now that we'd found our comfort zone we tried some of the other green tracks and even took the blue jump track at the bottom, mostly to avoid the chopped green but also to try something different. Really, really enjoyed this run down, the only negative being my 12yo center punching a berm down near the bottom (I think mostly cos he was buggered). Dusted him off and he was fine, thank goodness.

Anyway, stopped for some pizza and my 15yo went up for another run, took some greens down apparently, then a blue, then of course why not let's go a black :rolleyes: made it most of the way down but crashed at the end, just a few abrasions and nothing too serious. Called it done for the day, bought some merch and drove back to Hobart.

Final thoughts, I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. Yeah, you want dependable brakes and pads with plenty of life. I'd prly also think 140mm+ of travel both ends would be wise along with knee, elbow and head protection. But if you can ride Atlas and the Dam Busters descent you'll be fine at Maydena.

SAM08R

Squid
Can anyone give their 2 cents that has ridden Derby and Rotorua. Planning a 5+ day trip late March.
I have spent a half day in Derby only and was impressed but didn't get to explore much. Intermediate to advanced riders who like flow and techy single-track... Not afraid of a bit of pedalling.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I've ridden both recently.
Both awesome.
Biggest diff to me was trail condition.
Red Wood gets less trail maintenance so mega ruts/wash outs etc.
Also some of the climbs /traverses are brutal on an Enduro bike.
Overall I found it quite demanding - and that was with shuttle bus assistance for some of it.
Admittedly I only scratched the surface with area we covered. Red Woods is fucking huge.
Can't speak about Skyline - you go there to send it on the Luge! :)

Derby has full time trail maintenance.
Trails are always in excellent condition
(well, I think some are deliberately left rough coz EWS).
Most climbs are a bit easier (but longer).

Plenty of similarities between them though.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Can anyone give their 2 cents that has ridden Derby and Rotorua. Planning a 5+ day trip late March.
I have spent a half day in Derby only and was impressed but didn't get to explore much. Intermediate to advanced riders who like flow and techy single-track... Not afraid of a bit of pedalling.
Absolutely love Rotorua but last visit a Couple of the trail were closed for logging which out a dampener on things.
For pure riding they are both amazing. Rotorua has the advantage of being part of a major city so much more to do and see off the bike. I recommend having a Couple of down days so you can luge, raft, sledge zorb etc.
Derby probably has a slight advantage in terms of trails but it's not even really a town and there's fuck all to do back in launnie.
I think you can't really compare them as they are just too different.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We are open to a new destination next year, Rotorua and Canberra/Threadbo are the two places we are thinking about.

Any preferences ?

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube

SAM08R

Squid
Absolutely love Rotorua but last visit a Couple of the trail were closed for logging which out a dampener on things.
For pure riding they are both amazing. Rotorua has the advantage of being part of a major city so much more to do and see off the bike. I recommend having a Couple of down days so you can luge, raft, sledge zorb etc.
Derby probably has a slight advantage in terms of trails but it's not even really a town and there's fuck all to do back in launnie.
I think you can't really compare them as they are just too different.
Thanks nathanm.
Should have prefaced with that I have been to Rotorua and seen all the sites but not ridden there, a few years ago now. So the tourist stuff is not a priority this trip. Trails and chilling out with a beer only.

What how would you compare the trails themselves. I assume you have rode both.

SAM08R

Squid
I've ridden both recently.
Both awesome.
Biggest diff to me was trail condition.
Red Wood gets less trail maintenance so mega ruts/wash outs etc.
Also some of the climbs /traverses are brutal on an Enduro bike.
Overall I found it quite demanding - and that was with shuttle bus assistance for some of it.
Admittedly I only scratched the surface with area we covered. Red Woods is fucking huge.
Can't speak about Skyline - you go there to send it on the Luge! :)

Derby has full time trail maintenance.
Trails are always in excellent condition
(well, I think some are deliberately left rough coz EWS).
Most climbs are a bit easier (but longer).

Plenty of similarities between them though.

Thanks for the info. I have assumed this a little from watching some pov vids of Rotorua trails looked pretty clapped out at times. Whilst I love natural terrain I have plenty of that at home. The small part of Derby I got to experience was very well built, yet still challenging.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Thanks nathanm.
Should have prefaced with that I have been to Rotorua and seen all the sites but not ridden there, a few years ago now. So the tourist stuff is not a priority this trip. Trails and chilling out with a beer only.

What how would you compare the trails themselves. I assume you have rode both.
That's a tough one. Stoke factor is much the same. I think Derby is better though, just has more linked trails without fire road transport in between.
You really could do either without regret. It's like soft or hard shell tacos

ozzybmx

@ozzybmx used to be that you could say Canberra smells better than Rotorua, but now we have smoke stink.
More the reason to go there, the small fire affected communities (not that Canberra is small) and places that rely on tourist/biking $ should be supported and ridden. We have made a decision 'that may not be written in stone' that we will go somewhere else this year, watching and reading to where that may be.

ozzybmx

After this year’s effort, maybe you should find a nice risk free rail trail somewhere !
Do one of them you speak of... exist Mr Creaky ?

I would like risk free if possible, I would like to huck shit and glance over rock gardens the EWS call techy... Riding some of the best shit Aus has to offer....

ozzybmx

Had a trip booked there for early November but the borders will still be closed. Enjoy the dirt.
Its a sad year, we had hoped to do the bushfire ravaged regions around the High Country, Thredbo and Canberra...

Now, if we get a wee SA-Tas bubble happening, we'll fly to Launceston and head to Derby for a few weeks.

Both me and the missus have 27th Dec to 27th Jan off... always too bloody hot to do shit in SA.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Had a trip booked there for early November but the borders will still be closed. Enjoy the dirt.
I know right? I had money set aside from my tax return to hit up Derby again, had a friend lined up to come along, then borders close again. Oh, well.

PJO

in me vL comy
If any Tassie locals (sorry mainland peeps) are heading to Derby soon highly recommend the pedal up to Krushkas rode it yesterday and it is running so well after the trail crew gave it a major work over.
Thanks for the heads up, heard that it has been redone. Heading up next weekend, should be sweet!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I know right? I had money set aside from my tax return to hit up Derby again, had a friend lined up to come along, then borders close again. Oh, well.
I rode Krushkas a week ago with my wife, it was a bit wet but still rode well. I hadn't ridden the last descent in ages as I usually head down Trouty.