Oval chain rings

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Wellll honestly it is literally I can’t get my head around what one I need and how to make it play nice :) - so essentially I don’t cause I’m dumb
You need this

And one of these

Jpez

Down on the left!
You need this

And one of these
@Minlak certainly doesn’t need a chain guide. We all saw his death defying bike path ride the other week. :p

@Oddjob is that a fancy oval specific guide or just a standard one pushed up high?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
@Minlak certainly doesn’t need a chain guide. We all saw his death defying bike path ride the other week.

@Oddjob is that a fancy oval specific guide or just a standard one pushed up high?
Just a standard one. If you're using a 32-34t ring, most chainguides should still work no problem.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a standard one. If you're using a 32-34t ring, most chainguides should still work no problem.

Depends on the ring. I can’t use my one up guide with my 32t absolute black oval ring on my Prime. 32t ring has small spacers that push the ring over toward the NDS so the chain clears the cranks (104bcd XT) and it fouls on the guide. BB spacers are all on the DS and it’s still a couple of mm too far over. DM cranks/ring probably wouldn’t have this problem though.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski

Your's is a bit different to everything I've used till recently. I have one on daughter's bike, doesn't play nice with a 30t 104bcd round, probably still wouldn't be right on a 32t. I can totally see the reason for the shape now though, that's going to work much better with oval.

My MRP wouldn't work with oval, it tapers at the top so would end up rubbing. One up I think might not rub, but also might not cover the chain at all times? And the older style ones that are longer and join at the back would probably have all sorts of issues with oval.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
Your's is a bit different to everything I've used till recently. I have one on daughter's bike, doesn't play nice with a 30t 104bcd round, probably still wouldn't be right on a 32t. I can totally see the reason for the shape now though, that's going to work much better with oval.

My MRP wouldn't work with oval, it tapers at the top so would end up rubbing. One up I think might not rub, but also might not cover the chain at all times? And the older style ones that are longer and join at the back would probably have all sorts of issues with oval.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
I’ve got an Absolute black oval I haven’t put on yet and a One Up guide. Without installing the oval just having a play I think you’re right that the chain won’t be covered for the full rotation.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I've used a variety of ovals, except Absolute Black, with both the front der and ISCG mounted OneUp guides and have had no dramas.

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
Oval is smooth, it feels like you have more constant tension on the chain through the pedal stroke while round feels bouncy. It feels easier to push a higher cadence with oval, while at the same time if you are pushing a higher gear it feels like you get more work out of each pedal stroke.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I've currently got an Absolute Black oval with a OneUp guide and it works well on the Titan. I did have a Wolftooth oval on there but it wore out really quickly (I've never worn out a chainring on a normal mtb - ebike yes - but this didn't seem to last long at all) and created a horrible noise under power when it was trying to keep hold of the chain.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Designed to work with oval rings.

I've also encountered that noise and found that the Absolute Black rings are fairly soft and wear quickly especially on the Fat Bike which gets a lot of beach kms, however a quick file of the leading edge of the teeth to remove the shark tooth profile that forms seems to give them a new lease at life.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
I wish i could run an oval on the zerode :(
when i went from a round to oval on my trance, pedalling was smoother and had more traction in the pea gravel,
then went back to oval on the zerode and i can feel/hear the difference in my pedaling when riding on the flats at a higher cadance

Minlak

custom titis
A riding buddy that does a lot of riding including 24hr events etc tried an oval ring and summed it up thus after going back to round
“I can pedal round so didn’t feel a difference”

And I think that sums io a bit of the oval “feel” it compensates well for poorer pedaling form

Ackland

chats d'élevage
A riding buddy that does a lot of riding including 24hr events etc tried an oval ring and summed it up thus after going back to round
“I can pedal round so didn’t feel a difference”

And I think that sums io a bit of the oval “feel” it compensates well for poorer pedaling form
Don't you go an ruin people's Placebo driven Snake Oil, they were just enjoying the sweet taste of that kool aid.