WA Found - WTB Cranks suitable for shortening

ausdb

Being who he is
Item: 104BCD Black Non hollow arm cranks suitable for shortening to 140-150mm for a kids bike,
Price range/Willing to Pay: Depends on whats on offer, not too much I hope :)
Extra Info: I'm building up a XS 26er for my son, I already have a 1 x 10 drivetrain with a 104 chainring and are looking for anything like Truvativs / SRAM S600, Deores, Zee's or others listed here: http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/drivetrain/crank-arm-shortening

Last edited:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I've got a black set of Shimano (SLX spec I believe) on my commuter. Hollowtech type setup, but look to be scalloped out rather than hollow.

Still need them but open to trade if you have something (or something pops up you can grab to trade)?

I'm in Perth.

moorey

call me Mia
I don't think hollowtech will work @SummitFever has shortened older shimano for me. Old STX I think.
I think I have some X7's I could part with. Have some nice retro shimmy cranks on the old Gringo, but they came on the frame, and BB seems pretty much fused to frame, so I can't remove them.

PJO

in me vL comy
Look here for some idea on what can be shorted:
http://bikesmithdesign.com/shorten.html

I bought a set of these from SJS for my sons bike a couple of years back:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cranks/150-thorn-10464-pcd-triple-crankset-mk2-black/?geoc=AU
but it seems that postage has drastically increased, I think I only paid 10 pounds for postage, it's ridiculous now.

Also shortened a set of Truvativs Isoflows a few years before that but Isoflows and s600 are hard to find now...
Sorry but cranks that I bought/made are still in use, ask my in a couple of years...

Also these look like they have enough of meat at the end even though they have a recess on the outer face, might still work if you could mill the outer face a bit:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/104-64B...hash=item1cd67123fc:m:mm3w3OA5r--MEjBFtNsmZ1w

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Suntour also do junior crank sizes, but no idea on shipping costs.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
this is destined for the FW thread... how can you get the alignment parallel, if it is out even a slight amount, it will feel like you are constantly riding with bent pedal axles?

Freediver

I can go full Karen
this is destined for the FW thread... how can you get the alignment parallel, if it is out even a slight amount, it will feel like you are constantly riding with bent pedal axles?
I've never thought about it before but if you put the crank on the spindle and the spindle in the vice on your drill press it should work.

PJO

in me vL comy
Just clamped it to the drill press table and supported it so that the outer face was perfectly horizontal. Worked fine.

ausdb

Being who he is
Wow so many replies and supposed to be WFH so can't type for long
Ashes I have some XT FC-M780/785 in 175mm I'm happy to swap they are well used and shuttled not by me I just bought them with the 1x10 stuff I have, pm me your number and I can text you some pics.
Moorey I'll keep in mind
PJO I've seen those on Aliexpress but the shipping times have put me off as the project need to be complete by 20th July for his Bday, wasnt sure about the unevenness on the face as I've only got a drill press not a mill
Fatboy hope not, I have the taps and a decent (read not $h!tty chinese) drill press and vice and depending on what I get plan on using an old square taper BB axle in a hole bored in a plate to mount crank to or if hollow tech get one of my old mans mates with a mill to bore a block of ali I can mount the axle in to keep it in plane with the BB axis.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I have done this several times including once on a drill press, once on the manual mill and twice now on the cnc machining centre. All pretty much work the same if you take your time with clamping and setup. I put the crank arm on an old square taper axle and use that to indicate from so the hole is parallel to the axle. Clamping the axle in a vertically mounted rotary chuck clamped to the table is the best but a vice will do.

If you're using a drill press, once you drill the hole, put the tap in the chuck to hold it in alignment when you tap the threads. Don't use the drill motor though. Just rotate the chuck by hand to get the thread started. Once its going straight and too tight to turn then loosen the chuck, get it out of the way and finish the thread.

ausdb

Being who he is
I put the crank arm on an old square taper axle and use that to indicate from so the hole is parallel to the axle. Clamping the axle in a vertically mounted rotary chuck clamped to the table is the best but a vice will do.

If you're using a drill press, once you drill the hole, put the tap in the chuck to hold it in alignment when you tap the threads. Don't use the drill motor though. Just rotate the chuck by hand to get the thread started. Once its going straight and too tight to turn then loosen the chuck, get it out of the way and finish the thread.
@SummitFever thanks, pretty much what I was planning to do, also is that your site I referenced at the beginning? if so thanks very much it's a great resource. My old man had a general engineering business for most of my life and I ended up as a fridgy so understand tapping. I probably didn't explain myself originally, but have attached a sketch of my proposed setup.

If I drill every hole in the block of whatever I can find on the table of the drill press it will all have to be in the same plane. Then bolt the crank to the taper of the cut down bb axle and set up the length. Once that's in the right place clamp the block to the table of the press and drill and tap one arm, use an extractor to get the arm off and then attach the other and drill and tap that and job done. It would probably work with a block of hardwood if I can't find a decent chunk of aluminium at the scrap yard. I have the Hozan C-401 taps with the parallel leads at the beginning so tapping should not be too much drama. I'll probably use a step drill to face the outside edge of the hole flat.

@moorey let me know what you think of the pics and what you have please?
@kip01 what BB width are the Hussefelts and what BB style, do you have any pics?
@PJO the ebay ones you quoted, are currently looking like the best choice depending what Moorey and Kipo1 come up with. I have found a "supposedly local" seller but trying to confirm if they actually post from Aus and I can get them in a reasonable time frame.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse