Anyone got an STFUbike chain dampener?

Shredden

Knows his goats
I'm on a mission to quiet down the bike, and came across these - stfubike.com

Is anyone on here running one and feel like it's worth ~$50?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Am running one. It works to a degree, but my bike was already quiet beforehand so not sure by how much. Is it worth the $50? Mm.. not sure.

Saw on a recent Ben Cathro video that he's running an old Fox 40 bumpstop ziptied to chainstay for similar effect, doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i put one on my gravel bike, using as a chain keeper, works ok for this..not super quiet & luckily got mine s/hand..don’t think i’d pay 50. i saw the fox40, i couldn’t see how he fixed it

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have one the trail ones for my GT sensor and it solved the chain slap issue I had on that bike.
I rate them and would recommend them. They do suit some frames better then others.
The clearance with the spoke a was a bit tight and the rear damper ended up in my spokes when a stick got in there. It was a bit of a pain getting it off trail side as I needed to get the chain off and do the shoe lace trick with a mates shoe lace.
So now I am just running the front one that bike.
The rear is still good to use so I will chuck it back on the bike and try and secure it at the top to avoid it flexing too much into the spokes.
I emailed the guys and they were super responsive and offered to sort me out a new damper if needed but I don’t really need it. They also recommended re tightening the cable ties after a few rides to make sure it stays secure. Get one!

Shredden

Knows his goats
Cheers guys - I found a pic online of one on my bike, so looks like it would go well fitment-wise.

Just rolling around the backyard and doing some bunny hops, the bike is dead quiet on slightly smaller bounces. Then the moment I jump higher than maybe 40cm and come down hard theres a really distinct WHACK noise. Currently I've got the stock Kona chainstay protector (also visible in the pic below), then also wrapped the whole way along with a single layer of tube over the top of it.

To me it sort of seems like the noise must just be the entire length of the chain hitting the chainstay at once, which would hopefully be broken up by the chain hitting the bottom of those two guides first (then potentially bending down and hitting the chainstay inbetween them, but a lot gentler impact.

Would be keen to try the fork bumper idea, maybe midway along the chainstay... Just need to find one that someone's not using.

moorey

call me Mia
Chris K checks in here occasionally if you had any Q’s.
I almost never get chain slap these days...I’ll wager that most who are, are running Eagle...likely GX or lower.
My beef is more with chain rattling on some top guides. The more sturdy and enclosed, the worse it is. I miss the days of running no guide, until I had a couple of chain offs and lost confidence (after years without dropping one)

Shredden

Knows his goats
I almost never get chain slap these days...I’ll wager that most who are, are running Eagle...likely GX or lower.
You reakon the clutches are weaker in the cheaper SRAM stuff than, say, XT?

I've got GX Eagle on there. Wonder if that's part of my problem.

moorey

call me Mia
You reakon the clutches are weaker in the cheaper SRAM stuff than, say, XT?

I've got GX Eagle on there. Wonder if that's part of my problem.
Derailleurs are huge and heavy, sram clutches seem far weaker and non adjustable. Cheaper ones are heavier and flimsier than higher end ones. Felix's mates new bike came with GX Eagle. Sounded like an Orang...we...skeletons wanking in a tin chest.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am running slx 11 speed 46 t and I get chain slap in the higher gears. I don’t use these gears all that much on my local. It did drive me me nuts at Thredbo enough to give the STFU a go.

moorey

call me Mia
I am running slx 11 speed 46 t and I get chain slap in the higher gears. I don’t use these gears all that much on my local. It did drive me me nuts at Thredbo enough to give the STFU a go.
Long or mid cage?

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I shut my last bike up by wrapping the seat stay. Current I run some slapper tape on the inside lower edge of the seat stay. Heaps quieter.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dude get the stfu and be done with it. I have them on my Pivot 429 Trail. I fucking hate noisey bikes. I’ve got cable damping to stop cable rattle, silent free hubs cos I hate that fucking buzzing noise (fuck you Chris King and Industry 9, honourable mention to Hope too) and I’ve now got these on my trail. No matter what I did I couldn’t silence that bike. Tried the inner tube around the chain stay etc. No change. Banged these on, silence on all but the gnarliest rock garden sections. I’m going to put them in my Pivot Phoenix as well. They work.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Well that's a fairly strong endorsement. I'm gonna get the STFU, just waiting for a mate to do an MTBDirect order so I can get that free shipping. If you don't mind me asking, what hubs do you have? I hate noisy ones too. About to go DT Swiss which I'm hoping will be fairly quiet. I've heard of some which run a sprag clutch but I suspect they would be expensive AF.

Also ordered 12sp XT Shifter/RD to replace the NX/GX combo on there. I'd been wanting to for a while, found the pair brand new for $176 shipped - didn't realise the clutch was adjustable in Shimano. That sealed the deal for me.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well that's a fairly strong endorsement. I'm gonna get the STFU, just waiting for a mate to do an MTBDirect order so I can get that free shipping. If you don't mind me asking, what hubs do you have? I hate noisy ones too. About to go DT Swiss which I'm hoping will be fairly quiet. I've heard of some which run a sprag clutch but I suspect they would be expensive AF.

Also ordered 12sp XT Shifter/RD to replace the NX/GX combo on there. I'd been wanting to for a while, found the pair brand new for $176 shipped - didn't realise the clutch was adjustable in Shimano. That sealed the deal for me.
DT Swiss are mid range quiet. I run Onyx freehubs but they are bollock tinglingly expensive at the moment. I’ve just ordered Another set for a different bike and due to the dollar etc I’m up for a smidge over $1100. That said they are bomb proof as well as instant, and I mean instant engagement. The set I’ve just ordered will be my fourth. These are the spray type clutches you mentioned.