Nup to the Cup

RB 24

Likes Dirt
The cricket and football players made a conscious decision to play. Poor Mr Ed does not. Born into the industry.
Perhaps born into the industry. But I’ve had off the track horses that love to compete. They want to do something. They want to jump. They want to come in and get fed and treated well. The horses that are racing in group 1 races are probably better looked dyer than you or I. For example. When was the last time you got a massage? My eventers. Every 3 weeks. Shoes replaced every 6 weeks. Vet visits every month just to make sure they are at their peak. Premium feed twice a day. Good hay and lucerne available.
The 3* eventer we have loves to work. He genuinely does.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Fuck I just remembered, what about all the pollution and resources our bikes use to get made?

I knew I'd upset you lot here lmao.
Fine as long it's not done manufacturing new standards or ebikes.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
There's ya reputation!
I was unaware I upset people that much here.

I knew I'd upset people in this thread though but wasn't aware I upset people elsewhere lmao.

The fact remains though it's not some cruel sport like you people have been led to believe, yes injuries occur just like in any other sport and sometimes those injuries are quite sever and require the horse to be put down otherwise you just prolong its suffering for no real reason other than to satisfy yourself.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You heard about this bill yeah?

I was one of the 3500 who wrote a submission opposing it.

Rest of Straya. Fuck it who cares.

Good luck with that.
Yep and of course it will not apply to real estate.
Houses and holes is all this country has for a poor excuse of an economy.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What about the trees they cut down to make the cricket bats? That tree could be supporting a family of birds.

Than there's the leather on the cricket balls.

And footballs use animal skin or waste plastics in creating it.

I also what animal crulty are we talking about here with horse racing?

Whips aren't some destructive force like you've been led to believe and the horses skin is relatively thick so they feel little discomfort from the whipping.

The only real injuries that can occur is inflammation and redness which easily treated and they also have excessive whipping rules during races for this reason.

The only issue I can see is that excessive whipping doesn't seem to carry much of a penalty.
Your rose coloured glasses are very special. No real injuries. Fuck right off.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
you just prolong its suffering for no real reason other than to satisfy yourself.
Yep that’s basically the problem with the industry in a nutshell.
Your keyboard bashing is also prolonging our collective suffering for your own satisfaction so maybe you could put it down, too.

RB 24

Likes Dirt
I was unaware I upset people that much here.

I knew I'd upset people in this thread though but wasn't aware I upset people elsewhere lmao.

The fact remains though it's not some cruel sport like you people have been led to believe, yes injuries occur just like in any other sport and sometimes those injuries are quite sever and require the horse to be put down otherwise you just prolong its suffering for no real reason other than to satisfy yourself.
I saw an 8 year olds pony slip off the side of the float unloading it at a pony club meet. The poor thing broke its leg. Injuries happen to horses regardless if they are racing or just in a paddock.

Flow-Rider

Burner
For a one year period from 1 August 2018 to 31 July 2019, the Coalition for the Protection of Racehorses has collected data from the stewards reports from every state and territory in Australia, compiling a detailed report of the horses who have died in racing and the reasons why – something that is not made available to the public each year by the industry itself.

Key Findings
  • 122 horses killed on track for a number of reasons most commonly for catastrophic front limb injury (61)
  • On average one horse will die on Australian racetracks every 3 days
  • 7 horses collapsed and died
  • 10 horses died from cardiac causes
  • 5 horses died from bleeds
  • The state with the highest recorded deaths was NSW (51) followed by VIC (31) and QLD (25)
  • 54 of the horses that were killed had been raced as a 2-year-old
  • 10 horses were only 2-years-old when they died on track
  • 17 horses are still listed as ‘active’ on the Racing Australia website at the time of writing, even though some have been dead for almost a year

https://horseracingkills.com/issues/deathwatch/

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I saw an 8 year olds pony slip off the side of the float unloading it at a pony club meet. The poor thing broke its leg. Injuries happen to horses regardless if they are racing or just in a paddock.
Sorry but that is not a statistically balanced argument.
It's the rate at which race horses are injured/killed that is alarming. If you took all the race horses & just let 'em walk around a paddock, the injury rate would be a lot lower. Sure, two of them would be clumsy & trip over a rock or whatever....

The poor pony that fell off the float just reinforces the anti-racing argument really....it broke its leg because we humans chose to fuck around with it. We load it in and out of a steel box because we want to take it to some event and make it do clever things in front of judges for our own pleasure.
That horse would prolly not have broken it's leg on that day if it wasn't forced to walk in/out of a trailer.

I do take your well-made point about how some horses are treated though.
I have seen first hand how well some people treat their horses (family friends)....and there is no expense spared re food / vet etc. Under the right care some horses are extremely well looked after and I'm sure for those people (and yourself) it's very difficult/distressing to see others using/abusing animals.

RB 24

Likes Dirt
It's the rate at which race horses are injured/killed that is alarming. If you took all the race horses & just let 'em walk around a paddock, the injury rate would be a lot lower. Sure, two of them would be clumsy & trip over a rock or whatever....

The poor pony that fell off the float just reinforces the anti-racing argument really....it broke its leg because we humans chose to fuck around with it. We load it in and out of a steel box because we want to take it to some event and make it do clever things in front of judges for our own pleasure.
That horse would prolly not have broken it's leg on that day if it wasn't forced to walk in/out of a trailer.

I do take your well-made point about how some horses are treated though.
I have seen first hand how well some people treat their horses (family friends)....and there is no expense spared re food / vet etc. Under the right care some horses are extremely well looked after and I'm sure for those people (and yourself) it's very difficult/distressing to see others using/abusing animals.
I see what your saying.
Do you have a dog or a cat? Do you not own said dog or cat for your pleasure? To pat and to hold? Similar logic by saying my horses are there for my amusement. They are as much pets like said dog or cat. And knowing how many professional stables treat their horses even post career indicates the same.
The racing industry will not disappear. Simple. Boycott as much as you need. But the industry as a whole (world wide not just AU) will not let this go. Despite all the dregs that go to the events and disgrace their mothers it won’t change with that money involved. And in truth. It keeps my son employed and our stable out eventing and giving homes to retired ott’s.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
It's the rate at which race horses are injured/killed that is alarming.
Also, the comparison to family horse ownership is pretty crap because... pets. The pony club horses are pets. Race horses are “investments”.

My sister has ridden horses since primary school, there’s been at lease a horse in the family for the last twenty years. A number have had injuries, two of which required leg surgeries that were ridiculously expensive and time consuming (turns out you have to immobilise a horse in a sling following leg surgery because it’s not so easy to tell a 400kg animal “don’t put any weight on that”).

“Pony club”-type owners pay those costs because their horses are pets, same as domestic dog owners pay stupid money to get chemo for their 9-year-old Labrador’s bowel cancer - but you wouldn’t argue that racing greyhounds get the same care.