Buxton and Lake Mountain Thread

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Would be great if there was an online booking or somewhere in Marysville to get a shuttle pass/wristband for a shuttle up/ride back down to the car scenario.

It's just an inconvenience having to buy at the top.
So my friend and I bought our tickets online and went to the top to pick up our tickets from the cafe. We get down to the carivan park with time to spare. Shuttle rocks up and we get asked for our booking name, give it to him and ticks us off his list and is about to hand us the same wrist bands we got at the top haha. We're like we already picked ours up and he's like sorry we're still sorting all this out. All g, next time we will know.

Sounds like Lake Mountain doesn't have their wits about them for this. We collected our tickets from the cook, the assistant working the register didnt really know what he was doing. And yeah to have found out we could have collected our pre-paid shuttle passes from the shuttle operator. Ah well.

The shuttle operator sounded very clued up and expressed he understood the desire for more gravity oriented trails serviced by shuttles, he understood thats where the money was. I think if he gets more of a say in what goes on Lake Mountain could be one of the best destinations for MTB'ing in VIC if the willingness to run shuttles remains. I'd make the journey every weekend for that kind of terrain and quality of trail.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Wow, looks like this just jumped up my priority list! Are the shuttles a ongoing thing now? Mates have thought about DIYing but it's a real pain in the butt driving 40km back after a sesh.
Shuttle operator mentioned that they will be running every weekend with the hopes of running it during the week.
I'm going to be keeping an eye out on their website and fb page to see if this stays true.

https://www.lakemountainresort.com.au/event/mountain-bike-shuttles/

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Only need to go up to LM if you have not pre booked. From the website: Time : Riders that have pre-booked will be picked up from Marysville at their booked time. If you have not pre-booked tickets, tickets can ONLY be purchased from the Lake Mountain Alpine Resort cafe.
Winning.

beardi

Likes Dirt
Yeah I always see the endurbros pushing up cathedral climb and wonder why so much bike. Anyway none of my business what people ride but I've been steadily getting less bike over the last 3 and now I'm on a xc dual suspension. Second the love for lake mountain, incredible.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
You forgot boutique steel hardtail (preferably Chromag or custom Marino) and 200mm.
Now my stable is properly stocked.
You forgot the added requirement to have atleast one DW-link, one VPP, one four/faux bar, a titanium hardtail (bonus points if its a monstercross) for good measure.

And if you're really paying attention you will have one alloy and one carbon wheelset for them all.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
You forgot the added requirement to have atleast one DW-link, one VPP, one four/faux bar, a titanium hardtail (bonus points if its a monstercross) for good measure.

And if you're really paying attention you will have one alloy and one carbon wheelset for them all.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I was just speaking hypothetically, not about your actual collection:p

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Okay so the top half of the track does get quite boggy. It was basically a river in some parts on Sunday haha.
I'm my defense last time I went I was only dropped off at the second half.

S-Club

Squid
Rode the whole trail on Sunday, with a lift up from the shuttle operator - can confirm that there's no need to go up to Lake Mountain just book your ticket and ride in advance via the link.

Wasn't sure what to expect but it was a solid 3.5hr ride, with a quite a bit of climbing (~500m) for 1500m descent. The top needs section not too far from the Summit needs a little more drainage work - it was a bit of a puddle at a couple of spots - but plenty of fun flowy berms particularly in the second half where it gets a little steeper and more exciting. I was on a 160mm 29er and felt a little overbiked - there's nothing too chunky or hectic.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A dozen of us rode it Saturday. Much fun was had. Even all the sideways action trying to avoid the muck at the top. The couple of A line jumps to finish off right near town were a good addition. The climbing wasn't too bad. Do more climbing on a trailride without as much descending.
We self shuttled due to the big group. With a smaller group would book the uplift for sure.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Finally went out yesterday and bit of a scorcher. Lots of climbing but good trail. Very loose on some sections. Next time I might just try to do 2 shuttles from the halfway point, top is techy and challengingto ride but wears you out so that I have no energy to actually enjoy the bottom bit.

beardi

Likes Dirt
Did a top to bottom today on cascades, courtesy of a shuttle in the morning. I've ridden the top many times but first time below the ticket box. Bloody hell, what a trail. Yeah it was bloody dusty and blown out but the nucleus is something special. I wouldnt consider this a shuttle trail in the conventional sense; this is more in the buller epic space. Definitely not something for beginners or the unfit as there is plenty of climbing. i loved everything except the heat today, we left at 10am and it was like a furnace for the last hour before collapsing into the river in town. I feel lucky that we have a trail like this relatively close to melbourne