Buxton and Lake Mountain Thread

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
haha! ... OK, wrong choice of words ... It will be all descending with no climbing ;) ... I mean, less effort climbing routes for the main descending sections

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Didn't see ya there tkd boy, but probably because I started early and finsihed by 10.30. It was a solid 2 degrees!

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone know when the Lake Mountain trails are opening?
Saw a post that Buxton is open but Lake Mountain still getting white mud. I don't imagine they will look at it until they switch to summer season and then there will be a lot of clean up required.
Can't help you with a date but I think it will still be a while off. My guess is Nov/Dec.

Saw a post that Buxton is open but Lake Mountain still getting white mud. I don't imagine they will look at it until they switch to summer season and then there will be a lot of clean up required.
Can't help you with a date but I think it will still be a while off. My guess is Nov/Dec.
Really, that's a bugger I was gonna try and ride it at the end of Oct when I go to PI.

Looks like I need a plan B

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cant believe I didn't realise Buxton was open again!

Also cant wait to ride the LM to Marysville again. But I heard from locals that a lot of damage was done during the pre-opening weekend, so hopefully its going towards the end of this year.

On another note, anyone signed up the the Buxton flowduro? I'll be giving it a crack.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Here's the response I got from their FB page

"The winter season closes this Sunday and storm damage of the MTB trails has begun. It will take a little time but we will open as soon as we can manage. The Cascade Trail to Marysville being open is dependent on a license from DELWP, but we will offer shuttles for this trail once this is sorted".

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Headed out to Buxton for my first ride of the new season early this morning.

Still very slippery especially down off-camber, green mossy clay everywhere.
Slightly boggy up top of Spider gully and very slippery on the clay parts.
Top of Cathedral is ok but green clay returns half way down.
Think I spent more time sideways than straight threw Boobook

This was my run down Cathedral, had the rear step out as I landed the third of the Gap jumps.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Anyone one entering the events coming up on November 30/December 1st weekend. I'll be doing the Flowduro one. I want my first race to be fairly chill so I figured buxton would be perfect.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Lake Mountain Cascades trails are now open!! Already booked my shuttle for Sunday.
keen to get out to LM this year...ive only ever ridden the top section and not the new stuff, can you confirm this is right.... Drive up to top of lake mountain, collect wrist pass, ride down from very top eventually into Marysville... 2-2.5 hrs? catch your booked shuttle back up? so if someone books the 10:30am shuttle they would need to start riding before 8?

gillyske

Likes Dirt
keen to get out to LM this year...ive only ever ridden the top section and not the new stuff, can you confirm this is right.... Drive up to top of lake mountain, collect wrist pass, ride down from very top eventually into Marysville... 2-2.5 hrs? catch your booked shuttle back up? so if someone books the 10:30am shuttle they would need to start riding before 8?
From their FB page. "All ticket holders MUST head to the cafe in the Village to acquire their shuttle wrist band. Shuttle pick ups from outside Marysville Caravan Park departs 10.30am, 12.30pm,2.30pm returns to Lake Mountain Village. Shuttle drop offs from Lake Mountain Village depart 10am, 12.00pm and 2.00pm. The drop off shuttles will drop riders at Lake Mountain Ticket Box. Tickets available also daily from Lake Mountain Cafe".

So yes, but only if you're slow. If you average 60km/h you can get done in 20 mins.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Ticket Box isn't at the Top of the hill, so that cuts out all the top section of trails, the ride won't be 2hrs from there to Marysville

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I'm going to pick up my ticket in lake mountain and park my car somewhere in marysville so I can finish the day with a ride down rather than a shuttle back up.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to pick up my ticket in lake mountain and park my car somewhere in marysville so I can finish the day with a ride down rather than a shuttle back up.
I would hope they can work out an alternative pre-purchase option.
It's a 45km round trip on a winding alpine road to get up and get a ticket and back down the bottom for a shuttle up.

Or if you go in reverse, it's a long wait for a shuttle to take you back up to your car, just to drive back down again. Adds an hour to your day, easily.

ttnguyen133

Likes Bikes
Seems like they're doing that arrangement to hopefully drive up some extra business to their Cafe for people finishing their rides before going home. It sucks but it seems like it's one of the main incentives for them to run shuttles.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Would be great if there was an online booking or somewhere in Marysville to get a shuttle pass/wristband for a shuttle up/ride back down to the car scenario.

It's just an inconvenience having to buy at the top.