Getting arsey (a saddle thread)

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, but what are people's thoughts on good, comfortable saddles?
I have a WTB Vault Pro that I really don't enjoy sitting so am looking to swap out. Another bike has a SDG Circuit which I don't mind, but I'm assuming there's got to be something better/different out there.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, but what are people's thoughts on good, comfortable saddles?
I have a WTB Vault Pro that I really don't enjoy sitting so am looking to swap out. Another bike has a SDG Circuit which I don't mind, but I'm assuming there's got to be something better/different out there.
Do you mean a Volt? Funny how it goes as I run a Volt on both bikes as I find them really comfortable. Go to a shop and try some. Complete waste of time asking people's opinions on seats as it's so personal IMO.

Selle SMP. Accept no substitutes.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I love that. Well if Oddjob runs them that's enough for me..... :rolleyes:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
You can't assk (kekeke). My bums samples include:
  • WTB volt on XC - not bad but not great either. Does ok as a stock mtb saddle since I'm off the saddle for a lot of it. Have done longer gravel grinds on that bike and it wasn't great.
  • Selle SMP on roadie - bum did not agree. Returned the tester the next day
  • Pro stealth: Nope no good.
  • Specialized power: Same as the Pro. Cut outs my bum does not like.
  • A whole stack of other specialized saddles on mtb and road - no good. Some better than others but none that really fit.
  • Wiggle/crc prime Ti road for MTB and road bike. Fits really good for a cheapie. This is my go to saddle now.
  • Bontrager paradigm RL. On the more uncomfortable side.
  • Bontrager paradigm R on road bike - fits like a glove. I want to buy more but they stopped making it and the replacement is not as good :(

My bum tends to not agree with huge cutouts. for some reason. Each to their own. Find a bike shop that does a trial program and do it.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Find someone who stocks SQ Labs gear and/or email EightyOneSpices and ask them for a fit kit and their recommendations based on how you ride.

For me... A Tune SpeedNeedle Marathon is the best

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Ergon. Get on their website and go to the saddle selector. Punch in your criteria and it will spit out an appropriate saddle that in my experience, is very comfy.
And yet I sold you my Ergon....

Jpez

Down on the left!
WTB Pure on my hardtail. Very comfy.
ERGON on my long travel.

There seems to be about half a dozen different saddles that people rate so
I ended buying about 6 different saddles cheap off FB until I found the ones I liked.
You just can’t tell though. What works for someone else might be horrible for you.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you mean a Volt? Funny how it goes as I run a Volt on both bikes as I find them really comfortable. Go to a shop and try some. Complete waste of time asking people's opinions on seats as it's so personal IMO.

I love that. Well if Oddjob runs them that's enough for me..... :rolleyes:
Yes Volt. I found it comfortable for the first 2 rides and now I hate it, which is why I'm leery of trying in the shop as I feel I'm going to need several hours of use to know if I it like it (and last time I spent several hours in any store they started looking at me funny!)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Head down to a Specialized shop and get your sit bones measured, that's the place to start. Guessing a saddle might be comfortable without getting your ass bones measured is just wasting your $$$.

They do loan saddles but usually 'never' have the one you want, so they tell you to buy one and they offer a 30 day no questions asked money back so you can try for 30 days then get your money back (as long as it has zero signs of damage)

I ride 155mm Spesh Romins and Power (shortened version of a Romin) saddles on all 6 bikes and have done now for about ~6-7 years.

cammas

Seamstress
Measuring your sit bones is the best place to start after that it’s up to your arse on what it prefers, mine likes the WTB pure.
As for measuring your sit bones if, like me, and don’t have somewhere close by that measures; you can do it yourself:
Get a nice firm flat chair (wooden dining ones work great) spray a light mist of water on there with a spray bottle. Get a blank piece of A4 paper and place it on there then sit on it. You should get two wet spots (hehe) using a text or pen put a mark in the centre of your wet spots then measure, then you will have your sit bone width.
I did this and found my saddle was too narrow went to a wider width and found instant comfort.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Your sit bone width is important to know if you go the Ergon route too, as they are available in different widths.