Pole Bikes - Evolink

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
So, with my L Spitfire frame sold... and a 2 month wait for a 2017 XL, I've been toying with the idea of another frame out of curiosity.

Something... different from the crowd.
Something I've never even seen in Australia before.

Pinkbike's Evolink 140 review from the beginning of the month caught my eye: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/pole-evolink-140-review.html

However, due to not wanting a 29er, I was looking at the Evolink 150.
10mm more travel, 27.5 wheels, black frame.

evo150.jpg

Perfect to transfer just about all my Spitfire parts (sans shock), the ano purple won't clash with the frame color, and my existing wheels and fork will suit, the white on my bars, fork and rims will match the frame decals... all I'd need is a longer DB Coil CS to suit.

Coming in at about 3k for a frameset, I've reached out to Pole to see if they can give me a price on a pure frame-only option. No shock, no headset, no post clamp... but no response yet.

Anyone got thoughts on these frames, and their strange, outside of the box geometry?
I'm more of a plow-style rider, not a poppy, hopping off every little thing person. I don't have the energy haha... and had the mindset that this geo may even bring the feel of the bike more inline with my DH bike, being long, low and slack, albeit easier to pedal when needed.

It's likely I'll continue to forge on with a new Spitfire, but the Evolink 150 is really holding my attention right now... in a world where everyone else's frame designs and geometry are remaining quite conservative, this one is standing out to me.

My desire for something different may be a regrettable decision, but the curiosity is strong!

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Knew you had an inner Pole dancer just waiting to be free.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

BT180

Max Pfaff
Do it for sure! I read that Pink Bike article too and went straight to the Pole website so suss them out further. Then saw the 150. If the 140 review is anything to go by, the 150 will be some bike.

Would be good to see a review on that though first, especially as you'd have to buy without trying. At least with YT, Canyon, etc you have quite a few reviews (and now a large user base) to go off before taking the plunge.

Z

Zaf

Now, the question is do you go the Pole or the Nicolai G15 series?

I was frothing hard over a Nicolai Ion GPI right before i bought the Canyon Strive, withdrew from that project because of cost and I wanted the Gearbox tech to mature a little before committing to it. Those Pole's have me frothing though, I'd say get one and then ride report immediately. They're also great to follow on Facebook and such for those who aren't already, regular updates and interesting.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Those angles are offensive and hard to look at. Clearly this needs a toe in the water test monkey...do it!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
There is more than one detailed review of the 29er Evolink on Youtube. ...and it's almost unanimously positive (I know, I know...all reviews are always positive)

I know you said you don't want a wagon wheeler, but you gotta give 'em cred for building one with that kinda geometry- it's like a big middle finger to all the regular brands that change geo half a degree at a time.

I think this brand is about to really break through (if they haven't already).

I'm no expert but surely it would descend like a fuggen boss with that HA...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
I was recently looking at the Pole Evolink 140 as well. I wanted slack and long and needed a steep seat tube angle. My main point of difference to you is that I wanted a 29er.
I ended up purchasing a Nicolai Ion G13... and I am blown away with how well it both descends and climbs. My large has a reach measurement of 510 mm matched to a 32mm stem.
I rate it a better bike (for me) than even my beloved Evil Wreckoning :behindsofa:

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Go on, give it a go and tell us all how it rides! I think Pole/Nicolai's geometron are where all 'fun' oriented bikes will more or less end up, would love to take one for a thrash! We'll all learn how to corner long bikes and get used to being able to shift weight around :)

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I got an e-mail back from Pole, and they're not willing to sell a bare frame... so I've gotta scrape some more cash together to reach the 3.5k mark (to take import tax into consideration).

I think I'm sold on the idea... even considering going the 140 in black so I can use my existing 200x57 Coil CS, selling the 27.5 Tech Enduro wheel set and getting the Hope Tech 35W wheels and running it 27.5+!
Then just sell the Monarch Plus or keep it as a backup / reference point to try and tune the Coil to.

Z

Zaf

Nicolai G series are available as a frame only and are built with the same Ethos...you can also custom colour it. Just saying!!!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Nicolai G series are available as a frame only and are built with the same Ethos...you can also custom colour it. Just saying!!!
Yeah I've had my eye on Nicolai for some time!
What are they worth vs. Pole, though?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
There is more than one detailed review of the 29er Evolink on Youtube. ...and it's almost unanimously positive (I know, I know...all reviews are always positive)
Maybe they can give one to Dozer for a review?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

Yeah I've had my eye on Nicolai for some time!
What are they worth vs. Pole, though?
Yeah, admittedly, you can choose different colours but if you stray from anything pretty stock the cost hikes pretty quickly as the good colours are ticking in about +100Euro per bike section.
As far as cost goes, the Evolink 150's are about 2000Euro +postage and have those clever modular dropouts for all your wheel standards and a clever workaround for transporting such a long bike (because fitting them in a bag is gonna be tricky!).
The Nicolai G series frames are around 2400Euro +postage, which is a fair wollop more, but also comes stock with a Fox Float X2 and about the sexiest external gusseting outside of what Canfield have done with the Balance.

But I mean...look at them!!! I know that's the gearbox version pictured, but you get the idea. They might not do it for everyone, but holy shit they do it for me!!!! Industrial look done perfectly!!! (I'm pretty much in max froth mode right now).