Yarra Trails regulars

Big JD

Wheel size expert
...and the snakes distracted me about the kangaroos. 6! That's incredible. I'm presuming that's a good sign?

I almost got cleaned up by a wallaby in the ST past Bourke and the gates one night right. Both wallaby and myself scared the pants off each other and reacted poorly almost running into each other. I was amazed there were wallabies in there, let alone the 6 you saw JD. Must be very peaceful in Brucies.
yes its the 2nd time Ive seen them there and the 3rd time Ive seen the fox in there. Previously I saw them over in the horse paddocks but they seem happy in Bruce's.

Beautiful viper AL. It looks almost green inbetween the stripes. Hope you were wearing your jersey!

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey PB. Great to see you haven't dropped off the planet!

@Al: Where was that? Is that before the big dip? If so I'm amazed, I've never seen anything in there, it has to be the driest, toughest part of the YT's! Tough going for a snake I imagine.
I saw probably the same one just the other side of the dip last sunday.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Just after I saw you the other day JD I ran over a juvenile tiger snake near the big tree in the dip.
Tried to bunny hop but actually got it a bit. First one I've run over this year. To scared to stop

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went out today, there is bugger all chance of spotting a snake as the trails are littered with eucalypt bark from the hot north wind. Everything looked like a snake so I just powered through it.
Made it into Studley park, forgot how much fun the trails are around there with some steep rocky gradients.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, what's the bet the snakes have been feasting on the poisoned rabbits. Explains why there are so slow and dopey this year..

al_

Likes Dirt
Hey PB. Great to see you haven't dropped off the planet!

@Al: Where was that? Is that before the big dip? If so I'm amazed, I've never seen anything in there, it has to be the driest, toughest part of the YT's! Tough going for a snake I imagine.
Right next to the dip - there's no obvious water source, but I see more wildlife in that section of trails than anywhere else on the yarra. I came across four wombats within a couple of hundred metres a while back, and there are loads of roos, foxes, birds, echidnas and rabbits.

I've been thinking kangaroos are appearing further downstream than they used to, but I'm not basing that on anything scientific. Interesting that others are noticing it though. Saw a couple boxing/kicking each other a few weeks back which kept me entertained for a while. I think they were juveniles practicing, given they both bounced away seemingly unharmed.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DJM hit a wombat at night just near the dip a while back. I've got some nice pics of swamp wallabies right near the Burke rd bridge, I reckon they're moving in further too.

I've been thinking kangaroos are appearing further downstream than they used to, but I'm not basing that on anything scientific. Interesting that others are noticing it though. Saw a couple boxing/kicking each other a few weeks back which kept me entertained for a while. I think they were juveniles practicing, given they both bounced away seemingly unharmed.
Would have to agree, particularly the last couple of years. In the 12yrs prior to 2014, I had never seen kangaroos or wallabies between Belford Rd & the bat colony. Likewise fox sightings were relatively rare. These days however it seems like every 3rd or 4th ride (usually early mornings or late arv/duskys) I manage to either cross paths or spy a member of the hopping variety taking off thru the bush- generally only a single one, or occasionally two in close proximity to each other. Mostly wallabies & the odd Eastern. Not particularly uncommon to now find them in that Wilsmere Park area. The number of foxes I've seen between Gipps St & Belford Rd has definitely been on the steady climb over the years, particularly on the Yarra Bend Park & GC/bat colony side of the river.

No doubt I should wash my mouth out for saying it, but I'm kinda looking forward to cooler weather & less snakes.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Borrowed a multi tool from a fellow rider at eaglemont bmx jumps tracks yesterday. Needed to tighten the handlebars on my kids bike..
Dunno if you are on here, but thanks you saved a long walk home!

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Was really shocked to see a dead roo up on the yarra boulevard today. I had no idea they came so close to the city poor bugger was quite swollen up when I went past him.

It's sad news to hear one of the Roos has been hit on the Boulie:( Sadly with them now being in the area with some regularity we'll no doubt be hearing of this happening more often.

Sneaking in a cheeky coffee & having a read of today's Age (pg2&3) & it appears state gov is going to commence the completion of the Darebin trail 'missing link' this year, so as to join with the Main Yarra Trail via Willsmere Park. Been a long time coming. Will be interesting to see what the ripple effect will be on the trail network in terms of not only rider numbers but also where will be effected with the proposed alignment & what, of the unofficial network, will be lost/closed while works are undertaken. Stay tuned I suppose.

image.jpg

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I used Derebin creek for 10 years to link up with YT. I either had to do the dash across Chandler highway bridge or ride down Ivanhoe boulli to get onto the trails. Now that I've moved away it's getting finished.
It's been a long battle to get it through as well healed local residents have opposed it at every stage.
I believe Mathew Guy, who was planning minister at the time overrode all the court, council and vcat decisions and said just build it anyway.
There's an awful lot of NIMBY's in Ivanhoe. Selfish fuckers.
I can't see it effecting any of the unofficial trails as it will just pop out at Willsmere Park.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used Derebin creek for 10 years to link up with YT. I either had to do the dash across Chandler highway bridge or ride down Ivanhoe boulli to get onto the trails. Now that I've moved away it's getting finished.
It's been a long battle to get it through as well healed local residents have opposed it at every stage.
I believe Mathew Guy, who was planning minister at the time overrode all the court, council and vcat decisions and said just build it anyway.
There's an awful lot of NIMBY's in Ivanhoe. Selfish fuckers.
I can't see it effecting any of the unofficial trails as it will just pop out at Willsmere Park.
Actually its Alphington, and I think most of the opposition came from Boroondara Council and the Golf Clubs.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Actually its Alphington, and I think most of the opposition came from Boroondara Council and the Golf Clubs.
Same same. It's sad that the government had to force the issue with legislation to acquire the land. Boroondara CC has fought this for 20 years on behalf of well healed stuck up residence.
And then they have the gall to put out statements saying how pleased they are to be helping VicRoads and the Government make it happen. Tossers.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ah yes the golf clubs ....... all that public land set aside for a few old people to play with their balls. one day hopefully the community will get that back.