Bells...

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
I was seriously not really giving a fuck about these new laws, I usually carry ID anyway and am unlikely to have encounters with pigs in areas where they would be booking riders...but...
Yesterday in the heat a friend suffered from heat stroke so moved off the road to a path. She saw some coppers ahead and went in to ask for help, in so doing she didn't notice the shared path had ended and didn't walk her bike across a light. Ended up with $200 fines for those two offences plus not having a bell fitted. All while trying to ask for help from public fucking servants. She ended up in the hospital all day after these two fuccbois fined instead of helped.

I think my new "bell" is going to be this: NSFW and not all together a good song, but it gets the point across at 10sec.
[video=youtube;cEuU64Zt4B0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEuU64Zt4B0[/video]

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
I was seriously not really giving a fuck about these new laws, I usually carry ID anyway and am unlikely to have encounters with pigs in areas where they would be booking riders...but...
Yesterday in the heat a friend suffered from heat stroke so moved off the road to a path. She saw some coppers ahead and went in to ask for help, in so doing she didn't notice the shared path had ended and didn't walk her bike across a light. Ended up with $200 fines for those two offences plus not having a bell fitted. All while trying to ask for help from public fucking servants. She ended up in the hospital all day after these two fuccbois fined instead of helped.
that is atrocious...and really indicative of the approach of a lot of coppers these days. at some point we seem to have become an overly policed population ....just normal people going about their business not harming anyone, are suddenly engaging with the criminal justice system with alarming frequency....all in the name of fines fines and more fines ....all for our safety

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

I think my new "bell" is going to be this: NSFW and not all together a good song, but it gets the point across at 10sec.
[video=youtube;cEuU64Zt4B0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEuU64Zt4B0[/video]

That is seriously fucked. It would have been blind obvious she needed help.

John U

MTB Precision
Don't the coppers have a responsibility to look after the publics welfare first, fine people second. If she ended up in hospital after this I'd say the cops weren't doing their job properly. She should follow this up. What they've done is the equivalent of fining you for loitering just after you've had the shit kicked out of you. That shit wouldn't hold up if a court was presented with the full facts.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Yeah, she's going to contest the fines. Apparently they said sorry we're just doing our job. Couldn't even use a modicum of sense to see the situation for what it was. I'd go full out and want money for then having ambulance fees (cuz oh yeah, by the time she got to work it was so bad they had to call for an ambulance). I had incorrectly assumed the cops here wouldn't go full retard. I was wrong, don't be like me. :tsk:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, she's going to contest the fines. Apparently they said sorry we're just doing our job. Couldn't even use a modicum of sense to see the situation for what it was. I'd go full out and want money for then having ambulance fees (cuz oh yeah, by the time she got to work it was so bad they had to call for an ambulance). I had incorrectly assumed the cops here wouldn't go full retard. I was wrong, don't be like me. :tsk:
Don't under estimate their level of stupid. I feel your pain.

I live in Brisbane and have just fitted a bell to my roadie, way too much activity right now to not run one!

I drive to MTB trails so hopefully am safe from running one on the MTB!

Perhaps if they enforced the road rules that apply to pedestrians, such as the regulation prohibiting a pedestrian from unreasonably obstructing the path of a driver (including rider), there would be a lot less use for a bell. How many times have you come across groups of people taking up an entire shared path?

This is so typical of policing in Australia. Instead of applying any sort of discretion, they just go straight to writing a ticket.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Don't under estimate their level of stupid. I feel your pain.
Righto poodle, you re the man to ask. How much effort will these fucktards go to catch you on a bike if you bolt?

Seriously, if I'm going to be fined for not having a bell, I am not stopping for nobody till they have run me down.

And what is the fine for not having a bell, anyone know for nsw?

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From SMH article today

Riding through a red light will attract a penalty of $425, as will not stopping at a children/pedestrian crossings and riding dangerously.

Riding without a helmet or holding onto a moving vehicle will carry a $319 fine.

The fine for all other cycling offences - such as not having a bell or similar warning device - will rise to $106.
Well is just spent $3 on a bell for when I ride with the baby on the family bike.

What a load of bulls&%t this all is.

I pretty much gave up riding on the road due to the number of terrible drivers (lots of aimless tourists only thinking about parking where I live) and aggressive people trying to run me off, but these new rules will pretty much keep me off the roads. I much prefer dealing with the snakes on the local trails as they at least are predictable and logical in their actions.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What about one of these???

Bike Bicycle Cycling 4 Sounds LED Police Car Siren Electric Light Horn Bell BO
Popular 3 sold in last 24 hours
| Add to watch list
Seller information
bestoou (129320 )
99.3% Positive feedback
Follow this seller
Visit store: bestoou
See other items

AdChoice
Item condition:New
Quantity:
More than 10 available / 65 sold
Price:AU $6.67 Buy It Now
Add to cart
23 watching Add to watch list
Add to collection
65 sold
More than 59% sold
Free postage
Postage: FREE Standard Postage | See details

Item location:
Darwin,NT, Australia

Posts to:
Australia See exclusions
Delivery:
Estimated between Wed. 2 Mar. and Tue. 8 Mar.
Payments:
PayPal | See payment information

Returns:
30 day money back, buyer pays return postage | See details
Guarantee:
Money Back Guarantee | See details - opens in a new window or tab
Get the item you ordered or get your money back.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Righto poodle, you re the man to ask. How much effort will these fucktards go to catch you on a bike if you bolt?

Seriously, if I'm going to be fined for not having a bell, I am not stopping for nobody till they have run me down.

And what is the fine for not having a bell, anyone know for nsw?
I have been:
- Chased by unmarked cars
- Chased by marked cars.
In both scenarios when caught i have been cut off. Once tackled from bike by cop "launching" from an unmarked car as it cut me off. With the cars they are pretty keen. I've used a dead end or two with walkway at the end successfully.

I've also been:
- Grabbed by a cop hiding behind a parked car
- Cornered by cop on foot and cop on bike between a shop and a parked car (that one was kind of funny...bike cop pulled a mad side ways Skid to block me in).

I'm yet to have a cycle copper pursue me. That is something I would find rather amusing...especially if I get the chance to huck some stairs. Given I'm not doing anything worse than:
- Riding slowly
- Riding on footpath, or
- Riding without a light/bell/dildo
I don't usually provide much chase. I've only copped 2 fines (footpath x 2 same cop). I do enjoy (in a sick way) being all up in arms when pulled over for no reason. Next time it happens I will be taking a photograph of the officer harassing me. I witnessed an outlaw motorcyclist pull this trick recently. It hustled the cops off quick smart.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
. I much prefer dealing with the snakes on the local trails as they at least are predictable and logical in their actions.
I look forward to the first reports of MTB riders being done for no lights or bell on fire trails in the bush. They're public roads after all.

What a mess. I ride out into NSW on the roadie quite often... No bloody bell on the roadie!!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I look forward to the first reports of MTB riders being done for no lights or bell on fire trails in the bush. They're public roads after all.

What a mess. I ride out into NSW on the roadie quite often... No bloody bell on the roadie!!
Let them chase you back to the border. Flip the bird once you have crossed for me.