Helmets , crashing and riding alone

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Came across this on Dirt Magazine http://mpora.com/articles/terrifyin...aved-mountain-bikers-life#xyXJGC45CJIZW0LW.97 . I think this guy is so very lucky , kudos to the other MTB`ers about who helped him .

I myself ride alone a lot and often on trails that don`t see very much traffic at all . I just don`t think of this happening at all , it has but I have been lucky to have been riding with people . One nasty one I landed on my head and when the helmet was taken off my head it had split in two .

Will this make me change the way and what I ride ? In short , no . What it will do for me is to make sure I let my other half know exactly where I`m riding and if I ever come across an injured rider like this at least I know how to help them ( first aid course ) .

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
That was rough. Looked like a new rider to the trail as the feature seemed to surprise him. Didn't look so much as a bail as him being a passenger to pain town.

Great to see that other rider calmly take control of the situation.

I ride alone and having a serious crash is something that sometimes I think about, but at the same time I trust myself to ride within my skills. Plus I don't ride a new trail by myself.

Anyway, lucky guy all in all and good to see people are first aid savvy.

Last edited:

MarioM

Likes Dirt
If he was riding an ebike he'd be dead.
No , no , no . Did you not read the Ebike thread !! All those watts would have boosted him into the stratosphere with his peak power outputs whilst the mere mortals watching him would be like " Whoa ! I gotta get me one of those ! " .

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
What it will do for me is to make sure I let my other half know exactly where I`m riding
I recommend also using "find my friend" or similar app so you can be found quickly if things go wrong and you need help when on your own.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Full face helmets boys...always play safe!

Love the guys dropping e in here. It's like 90s club life.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've seen this happen a few times, most people don't let go of the bars and their head slams on the ground first.

Full face helmets boys...always play safe!

Love the guys dropping e in here. It's like 90s club life.
Just think of the closet trannies mate.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've seen this happen a few times, most people don't let go of the bars and their head slams on the ground first.

Just think of the closet trannies mate.
Ive done it. Huge crack in the helmet and a stay in hospital. I was sure I could pull through the huge nose case....I was wrong.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Ive done it. Huge crack in the helmet and a stay in hospital. I was sure I could pull through the huge nose case....I was wrong.
Don't worry, we have all had a good go at it (not the tranny). That's why my arms are shredded to bits, it was that or smash my face into the ground. It's the unexpected ones that get you but I have seen quite a few riders try and ride out a bad nose dive.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The ground comes up... even for old people.
Fark! Interesting the way your helmet has broken up. I ride in a full face or DJ bucket. A few years back I put an old bucket to the test against a cheap kmart lightweight aero style helmet. With a machete and a hammer.

One hit to the bucket and it was toast. Machete penetrated very deeply first blow. Hammer caused massive damage. Foam was very annoying to clean up as it just exploded. For the cheap aero thing the machete took 3 blows to really get in and the hammer kind of glanced off first blow. Eventually aero exploded as well, but it took a lot more effort. I was quite surprised by how much extra protection(?) it offered.

dh1

Likes Dirt
Fark! Interesting the way your helmet has broken up. I ride in a full face or DJ bucket. A few years back I put an old bucket to the test against a cheap kmart lightweight aero style helmet. With a machete and a hammer.

One hit to the bucket and it was toast. Machete penetrated very deeply first blow. Hammer caused massive damage. Foam was very annoying to clean up as it just exploded. For the cheap aero thing the machete took 3 blows to really get in and the hammer kind of glanced off first blow. Eventually aero exploded as well, but it took a lot more effort. I was quite surprised by how much extra protection(?) it offered.
Is it extra protection? I think the idea of the helmet to be like the theory behind race cars and how they break apart on a crash, absorbing the impact. If your helmet is to hard, isn't it only going to transfer the impact through to your head?
Smarties please comment!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is it extra protection? I think the idea of the helmet to be like the theory behind race cars and how they break apart on a crash, absorbing the impact. If your helmet is to hard, isn't it only going to transfer the impact through to your head?
Smarties please comment!
Thus my (?). It certainly had more resistance and the appearance of durability, but instead better? I know that if I was wearing the bucket and copped the machete blow there was enough penetration to main or likely kill me. Luckily I don't often crash onto a machete!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Smarties please comment!
It's supposed to crush and deform, slowing deceleration. Exploding and helmets that crack are a failure to operate as designed.

Lazmo, is that bottom pic a CT or MRI slice at your chin?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That time unconscience is creepy, like his brain rebooting...

Such things do occur to me, I tend to ride alone a lot - one of the things I like about it, some quality me time away from stuff. But as I was pushing hard down pork barrel on a quiet weekday, I did note it would be a while before someone came along if I splattered myself on the rocks...

Never skimp on helmets folks!!