Why do you like riding MTB?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
On my way down to check my boss' work PO BOX this morning, I was left with some time to wander into thought while enjoying the warmth of the sun... and I began thinking about why I like riding.

Or more specifically, riding MTB.

Doesn't matter if you're a casual rider, weekend warrior, racer, low skilled, super skilled, whatever else, but I figured it might be interesting to see what others find enjoyable about the sport, aside from the obvious things, like fitness and health, etc.

I dunno if it's the lack of riding I've done over the past month that made me think about this, but here it is.

Personally I tend to have a lot on my mind, especially recently, and I was thinking about how when I'm riding off-road... my mind is totally clear.
Completely focused on what's ahead of me.

It's a bit therapeautic, and the total lack of outside thought is a kind of nice feeling.
It's not something I find I can achieve with any other activity.

I guess in a way, some people meditate to achieve no thought, as a way to relax the mind and body. Something I've never been able to do.
There's always shit creeping around somewhere... but riding; totally clear mentally.

How about the rest of you?
Throw some insight at me!

Last edited:

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
Totally agree, it allows clarity.

On a non-tech ride just being outdoors helps me think straight. The speed helps though, I don't get clarity from driving with my head out of the window (too fast) or walking (too slow).

On a more tech or demanding ride it is just me and the bike, no work or any other crap.

Awesome.

moorey

call me Mia
The wife and kids stay home.
You 1/2 monster.

Kids riding well with you is the best. My boy did some jumps on the weekend that I was going to initially go round.

50% of what I love is the social side, 30% getting out and blowing off steam, 30% is about the fitness, and 45% is about the thrill. The other 30% I can't put my finger on.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't know, it varies. The cyclical dust on some bikes tells the story.

Sometimes it's flat out, or more social, maybe solo, and a med pace late arvo solo ride in fading sunlight is the best IMO for relaxation, and other times maybe working on a skill (or lack thereof).

Speaking of which I went back to local dj's yesterday, ended up riding with some 10yo's. Pretty good banter for youngins.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Mental unwind.

Sometimes life throws you random shit that passes you off, is outright bullshit, or you just need to be mindless.

I think the way it works for me is it simplifies stuff. You are constantly talking to yourself some jibberish bs to get over that climb, or basically devoting all your sensors to responding to reflex on the downhill. Throw in some shit bloke that you talk absolute rubbish with all day and then finish off with a serve of fried stuff.

Go home love your wife.

Simple.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In no specific order;
Being outside,
The speed,
The challenge of certain hills and trails
Being with my mates and making new ones,
Knackering myself out,
Looking at / talking about bikes (doesn't matter if they're $$$ or $, new or old)
Being 100% present,
The view at the top of a hill,
Carving / linking corners,
Scaring myself and feeling like a hero when I save it.
Not jockeying a desk.

All adds up to massive smiles.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The lack of cars!
Being in the bush
The fact that even simple downhills I've ridden hundreds if times still give me a buzz!
Oh, and lack of cars!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
A night ride with headphones on starts to become sensory deprivation, I love it. Nothing else to focus on but not binning it solo out in the sticks at midnight. OTBs at night is intense, have only ever done this twice. At night you can't see the top of the hill so there's no frame of reference, I get mildly confused at times as to where I am on the track and get happily surprised " oh here already " .

its also why I also like wreck scuba diving. Sensory deprivation while I'm humming that " dumb ways to die" song [video=youtube_share;IJNR2EpS0jw]http://youtu.be/IJNR2EpS0jw[/video]

My extra line is " meet a shark in a wreck"

Last edited:

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Now try doing that same wreck on a single breath for an even bigger buzz.
The same buzz I'm getting ATM from riding single track.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Cornering.

It's fun.
+1000

Also for me it's great that my wife really loves riding too... I don't need to make excuses to ride, she's looking for new tracks as much as I do.

My middle daughter is great to ride with too... fast and fearless.

Being in the bush.

The silence... no engine noises.

Going to places only mountain bikers get to see.

The fact that it is one type of riding where winter is not an issue... we ride all year around rain, hail or shine. If you're cold, ride up a hill. Whereas motorcycles which I'm also heavily into are fair weather affairs.

The bikes are awesome to work on, hardly any fluids, the components have great tolerances and are light and easy to deal with.

Cornering.

It's fun.
+1000

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I'm slightly mental and can't play team sports as I never forgive myself if I fuck up so a solo sport like riding is perfect.

I spec, build and maintain my own bikes so if anything goes wrong I can't point the finger, it's my fuck up, I like that.
I really used to enjoy racing DH as it feels like you have the whole track to yourself and you just get to go as fast as your fear will let you. For the first few races you go and find somewhere to curl up 'til your lungs and forearms start to come back to normal.

Club level DH was by far the most fun I've had on a bike, Strava just seems like such a wank to me, wow you beat someone on the internet, who cares?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I love the clarity in my head when I ride.

The stuff that stresses me on a daily basis disappears. I used to ride on the road and get similar results but since finding MTB (relatively late in life), I've not looked back.

Love challenging myself, getting better, the bush, seeing roo's, echidna, even snakes. There are no negatives, even climbing.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Things I like most about being ING out on my mtb...

Constantly challenging myself and conquering said challenges. Be it lap times, gnar, whatever.
Riding with mates, talking shit and generally tooling around.
Riding wicked bikes on killer tracks.

Club level DH was by far the most fun I've had on a bike, Strava just seems like such a wank to me, wow you beat someone on the internet, who cares?
If you look at it as anything more than a training tool you're mad. That's all I see it for, tracking my progress.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Things I like most about being out on my mtb...

Constantly challenging myself and conquering said challenges. Be it lap times, gnar, whatever.
Riding with mates, talking shit and generally tooling around.
Riding wicked bikes on killer tracks.

If you look at it as anything more than a training tool you're mad. That's all I see it for, tracking my progress.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is fun, keeps me fit and in all honesty, helps to keep me away from spending money on drugs.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
Strava haha :first: whoo

:focus: clearing my mind, fitness, and enjoying the outdoors are the main reason

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
Same reason I have ridden BMX for 15+ year, I just enjoy being out of the house & for the time I'm on the bike forgetting all the stuff that eats away at me.