Fox to aquire Marzocchi

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't get a lot of the comments having a go at Fox.

I was under the impression that Marz was dying so, regardless of what Fox does with them or how they use their technology, isn't it better that something comes out of it rather than nothing?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I, for one was secretly hoping shimano would pick these guys up.
That would never have happened, as Shimano have been in bed with Fox for quite some time now.

A lot of the criticism of Fox stems from one short-run dodgy product that unfortunately happened to be one of their biggest OEM sellers - the early Open Bath CTD dampers that blew their guts out.

How Marz will fit alongside the existing Fox range I'm not too sure, but there's a definite middle-to-low range of the market that Fox doesn't have a presence in - the sector dominated by RS Recons, Toras, XC series and the various Suntours.

will2

Likes Dirt
35mm Float incoming. Prepare yourself, for the next level.

Anodising is now called Orange Mocha Frappacino, Fox has finally got Marzocchi up to speed with the American way of life.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
That would never have happened, as Shimano have been in bed with Fox for quite some time now.

How Marz will fit alongside the existing Fox range I'm not too sure, but there's a definite middle-to-low range of the market that Fox doesn't have a presence in - the sector dominated by RS Recons, Toras, XC series and the various Suntours.
Yes I know, but one could still wish lol.

As for how Marz fits into the entry level stuff. Fox's marketing ability is pretty good so they could easily pull it off.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No way, it can't be a bad thing. If Fox choose to produce lower end stuff that I have zero interest in buying then so be it, no big deal to me but if they continue to produce their own gear that is a high quality product that works regardless of what the hashtags and trends are dictating and being worshiped by people who have never used the products then that's great. They'll want to make suspension that rivals that of it's competitors and again, having a choice is great for us.
Over the last few years, there's been a trend develop that Fox is makign junk that doesn't work. The band wagon is in full flight and tons of people who have owned one bike in their lives (a fucking 29er no doubt) bullshit on about how much Rockshox shits on Fox, 'Zocchi is shit blah blah blah. I respect the opinion of people who've ridden bikes more than Freddy who got a good deal on this year's market trend by the local shop who has to keep their numbers up to keep the sticker on the window saying they sell a certain brand. I've used so many different parts, I've owned over twenty mountain bikes over the twenty years I've been riding and that is across all disciplines. The development of most manufacturers comes and goes in waves and will see one range excel more than others for a duration then the next best thing will come along and....................................Fox will be cool again, the cool kids will be claiming Fox is the king, Rockshox will be old technology etc etc blah blah blah.
Only 20 bikes? Its like we never really met all over again.

This transaction gives Fox an established name to compete at price points they do not presently have. It will NOT be competing with their present product range.

Fox sell their product at premium pricing. They do not want to cheapen the Fox name by releasing cheap product under the Fox name. So, what companies do is establish (or buy) a brand at a lower price point, so that it does not cannibalise their current sales. Marzocchi product will not be competing directly against Fox product.

Its a great move for Fox. They would not have bought much more than the brand name and patents maybe (no-one knows for sure). And seeing Marzocchi did not have much interest in anyone buying the MTB/moto business it appears Fox would have gotten a cheap price too.

Lots of upside.
They should have launched the faux range...

dunndog

Eats Squid
35mm Float incoming. Prepare yourself, for the next level.

Anodising is now called Orange Mocha Frappacino, Fox has finally got Marzocchi up to speed with the American way of life.
Whipped cream and cinnamon to go full tard..

DJR

Likes Dirt
Fox is going to use this to swamp the oem market.
Why wouldn't they just start an offshoot brand from scratch "Powered by fox, etc"? Seems a pretty expensive way just to get into the OEM market. They've already done that with the O/C / Evolution gear but I guess they don't want the Fox name on the really low end.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
From experience with a bunch of different forks, Fox wins for me now. Was really disappointed with the last set of RS stuff I bought (Vivid and Boxxer WC), RC4 and 40 are much better. But, 380's are even nicer again. Hopefully Fox keeps the brand going a bit not just make them an OEM brand. Marz' really pulled their shit together with the new 350 380 range, with a bit of Fox love they could be incredible. And how many people would still avoid marz because of the 'mars is shit' stigma if they thought it was all Fox inside?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Why wouldn't they just start an offshoot brand from scratch "Powered by fox, etc"? Seems a pretty expensive way just to get into the OEM market. They've already done that with the O/C / Evolution gear but I guess they don't want the Fox name on the really low end.
Rest assured, it won't be expensive. Companies sold in those circumstances come very cheap indeed, and with existing staff, engineering and manufacturing capacity

stirk

Burner
Marz has low end products for oem and that would be huge money by shear volume. The bread and butter.

Taking high end marz and rebranding fox would be icing on the cake.

It would make sense to keep the marz name on the downhill forks as that will attack a following.

Time will tell. (Thank-you captain obvious)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Marz has low end products for oem and that would be huge money by shear volume. The bread and butter.

Taking high end marz and rebranding fox would be icing on the cake.

It would make sense to keep the marz name on the downhill forks as that will attack a following.

Time will tell. (Thank-you captain obvious)
Interesting. I don't actually think it's possible to have Marz low end presence (say 100mm XC forks) and a high end DH offering. One of them will have to give way to the other. It's likely fox might keep the branding to some extent though - kind of like brand it fox '380' to satisfy the Marz fans.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Interesting. I don't actually think it's possible to have Marz low end presence (say 100mm XC forks) and a high end DH offering. One of them will have to give way to the other. It's likely fox might keep the branding to some extent though - kind of like brand it fox '380' to satisfy the Marz fans.
Or just rebrand all fox fork as Marz, and ruin both reputations.........

And a :llama: so Dozer don't punch me, in the face, with a tandem trailer......

will2

Likes Dirt
Does anyone remember the initial 'marzocchi is going under, buy me' post on Pinkbike? I am sure in there was talk that they still had stuff under development and lines ft 2016-17.

I don't think anyone can dispute the incredible nature of Marzocchi, albeit the recent shitness of the product, creaking, seal failure etc. Also, Marzocchi stuff now looks the best in the business and few people can dispute that also.
Wouldn't it make sense to just keep Marzocchi going, but with a little kick up the arse from fox in terms of Fox's manufacture in China to get them back on profit and less failure. Share a few things across the range. Adapt the components to share stuff across the range: axles,seals, steerer's, all the things that don't make the fork what it is. There would have to be enough cost cutting in that get her moving again.
The 2015 stuff is incredible riding just the fact of little market power seems to be the Achilles heal of poor old Marzocchi, can't quite seem to get a real foot in the door.

However a good case study which is comparable is Saab, went under GM took over told them this is what we will do to get you going again but the unherinent nature of the company was too convoluted and uncompetitive to actually allow them to have a real go in the global market. Thus Saab is no more, no real shame in this case.