Blood Racing. How fast do you bleed?

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
So here is a question. I have regular club races over summer.
How close to a race should I NOT donate. I`m talking about before the race. 2 days, a week???
Anybody got any ideas?
Lance? You out there?

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
So here is a question. I have regular club races over summer.
How close to a race should I NOT donate. I`m talking about before the race. 2 days, a week???
Anybody got any ideas?
Lance? You out there?
It takes 7-10 days to make a new red blood cell, so I would leave at least 2 weeks if you want a reasonable rebound in your haematocrit/RBC count.

That being said, even shortly after donating your oxygen delivery will probably remain roughly equivalent with the reduction in viscosity according to Poiseuille's law.

Nerd alert.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Missed a couple of donations earlier in the year due to a virus.

Got back into the groove today and racked up a 5:18, resting pulse was 48, BP was 131/82.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
I'm currently sitting out a ban due to finally finding a genetic flaw. Can't say I miss the incessant phone calls to donate though.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
4:24 last Wednesday.
BP was 137/83 which is about where I always seem to be, HR was 52 - usually sits closer to 45 but I'm not in the best form at the moment.
The other 3 peoples' reactions were funny when I was hooked up last and walked out first.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Did my first whole blood in a long time as I usually do plasma and they are very short of O+and took 7min 41sec. Forgot how quick whole blood is.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Back in business after a 5 year layup (they wont take your blood if you are intending on making babies, pregnant or breastfeeding. Well that is all done now)

I'm a slow bleeder and it took 10 minutes. I snuck an extra chocolate chip buscuit

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I donated blood for the first time ever today - feels good! I'd read an article talking about the shortages they have at this time of the year, with lots of regular donors being away on holidays, so used that as the kick up the butt to book in and do it. And after a few operations in recent years, the needle for the donation is nothing compared to a nurse who can't find a spare vein for a cannula!

5 minutes 1 second was today's effort. Barely pumped - I'll have to put a bit more effort in next time. The nurse had called the time as 5 minutes within the first 30 seconds - good eye on that one!

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Had an interesting one today. First attempt blew the vein, so they had to go the other side. Ended up feeling a bit light headed with one arm swelling and bleeding while they put the needle in the other side.

Still managed a 6:05, despite the fact my blood pressure was about 80 systolic for a few minutes and I was pale and sweating. Unfortunately my wife did a 6:00 flat, so I had to buy her lunch.