EARPHONES MEGATHREAD - All questions on earphones for riding asked and answered here

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Can't be arsed trawling back to pick particular bits to quote...

Someone mentioned car stereos & stuff... Even with the noises off, cars are so soundproofed these days that the occupants can hear a lot less 0f their surroundings than a cyclist or ped with headphones on at a moderate level. So should everyone drive around with no radio & the windows down so they can listen for hazards? No, they should just put the bloody phone down & watch what's around them!

What about deaf (sorry, hearing impaired for the politically correct) people? Should they be banned from riding because they can't hear? No.

If you use headphones, fine, but be sensible and predictable, and don't crack the shits when someone passes you because you "didn't hear them". OK, on singletrack where you're likely to run into (hopefully not literally) other riders, and your sight is obscured, then being able to use your full hearing capacity is probably not a bad thing. In that case packing the phones away is kinda sensible.

I'm not a headphone rider, but as long as you don't ride around like you're the only person on earth, then I don't mind if you do wear them. :smile:

cameron_15

Eats Squid
I just can't do it, Feels way to strange to eliminate one of my senses.

Also, in regards to cars and stereo's, roads have lanes... so unless someone's driving on the wrong side of the road, you don't need to hear them coming around a blind corner (and even if you could hear them, what are you going to safely do to avoid a collision?..).

It is very frustrating when pedestrians and cyclists are oblivious to what's behind them. Unless you yell at me when I scare you, I don't have a problem with it though :love:

bj4x4

Likes Dirt
earphone problem??

Hi,
I got a pair of dr dre monster ibeat earphones for my birthday back in july and now im having to crank the volume nearly at 100% to actually hear anything. I've tried them both on my phone and computer and keep having to do the same thing. I'm pretty sure i'm not going deaf because i can still hear everything else fine. Thought some of you rotorburners might have a idea on what it could be as google wasn't much help.

Cheers,
Matt

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ear buds or proper headphones? What are you using them on? Computer or iPod/phone?
No wanting to state the obvious but on PC have you checked the volume mixer to make sure you haven't accidentally turned it down?
Also Beat Headphones are wireless aren't they? Maybe the signal isn't getting through and it may be a warranty claim.

Last edited:

Matt H

Eats Squid
Sounds like a cable issue to me. I'm guessing they came with a warranty, so maybe get whoever bought them for you to suss out a replacement pair.

Also your display picture, OP. It makes me giggle like a retard every time I see it.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I were you I'd be finding out if whoever gave them to me still has the receipt and take them back. Beats are expensive fuckers so I'm sure they'd hav at the very least a 12 month warranty. I just hope that whoever bought them didn't pay that much for them from eBay because they're almost guaranteed to be fake. I bought a pair almost identical to them for $30 on eBay, I sat on them without paying for a couple days while I waited for my pay to go in, a day after buying them I got an email from eBay telling me that they were fake and my purchase was void.

bj4x4

Likes Dirt
thanks for the replys. Just had a look at the warranty and it is only good for 2 months after purchase. I'm pretty sure they were purchased form jb hifi so i would say they would be genuine. I'll send Dre beats a email and confirm the warranty.

cheers,
Matt

0psi

Eats Squid
thanks for the replys. Just had a look at the warranty and it is only good for 2 months after purchase. I'm pretty sure they were purchased form jb hifi so i would say they would be genuine. I'll send Dre beats a email and confirm the warranty.
Pretty sure Australian law states a minimum 12 month warranty. There is always a chance JB did something dodgy though, wouldn't be the first time.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Hey all - merged these threads to try and pool the resources on the subject.

So ...., time to ask the question again and see if there have been any new advancements or experiences on the matter.

I HATE WIND NOISE.

Anyone know of any earbuds, the canal type that have low wind noise? I've seen this idea - http://www.cat-ears.com/ - and I like the logic. However I'd prefer to just have headphones with a very low profile instead. I've been looking at these, they are cheap, very small and don't have a long plastic bit that tails off from the bud down the cord (a large part of noise creation) - http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/So...walking-or-any-other-activitity/9999120885627

Anyone have anything they can offer on this issue?

Cheers.

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Johnny, not sure if this will help as its very basic but after buying about 47,000 different types of headphones/earphones all i do now is use the standard apple ones with some black foam around the ear pieces.

The foam bits are for ear phones and can be bought for about 5 bucks and then they stay in your ears while riding as well as block out the noise/wind around.

I'm only using the normal apple ones as you can still change songs/volume up and down on the remote part and had a few sets lying around the house.

Been using this system for a while now and seriously cant fault it!

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use bone conducting headphones and they have been great

Good sound and never fall off/out of the ears