DH bike options

jenk0s

Likes Dirt
Hi all, i'm on the market for a new DH bike. I've got roughly $2,000 to spend so it's going to be second hand. I'm looking for a relatively plush ride and stable at speed, looking to get into racing.... but also being able to jump reasonably well, because lets face it, jumps are fun. I'm thinking of bikes over 2010 but open to any. If you could please recommend some bikes, that would be great. Cheers

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
How tall are you?

Might assist people with potentially picking some bikes out of the for sale section that suit your requirements. :)

driftking

Wheel size expert
Hi all, i'm on the market for a new DH bike. I've got roughly $2,000 to spend so it's going to be second hand. I'm looking for a relatively plush ride and stable at speed, looking to get into racing.... but also being able to jump reasonably well, because lets face it, jumps are fun. I'm thinking of bikes over 2010 but open to any. If you could please recommend some bikes, that would be great. Cheers
Most downhill bikes will jump fine, if youa re talking about dirt jumps though steep and vert no dh bike will be good the angles are just off.
If you mean the sort of jumps you encounter in a downhill race or freeriding park than the dh bike will be fine.

While some bikes are a bit more plush than others due to leverage curves, ultimately how plush the bike will be comes down to suspensions set up.
Been stable at speed comes down to again suspension set up again. Some bikes geometry will be more stable than others but all dh bikes are designed to be stable these days and lets face it if worldcup riders can ride that fast on the bike no one should have an issue with stability.

You said you were in the market for a NEW dh bike so I assume you have been riding dh on something else later?
What bike do you have and what do you like dislike about it? (this will help understand what you are looking for next)

jenk0s

Likes Dirt
At the moment I have a Giant glory from 2011, it's on the market right now actually. Before that I had a reign. I suppose I've gotten used to the maestro linkage. Personally I find it a little dull, for lack of a better word. I'm looking for a bike that's a little more lively is suppose you could call it. Jumps yep good point, I'm definitely not doing and DJ stuff, closest I get to that is road track at Oxford Falls. Hope that helps refine the options....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Why not sell your frame, build up new frame, replace any issues from current bike in the process, and spend the savings on living large?

jenk0s

Likes Dirt
Hmm my thoughts were that I could get a better speced bike second hand, but still being in a reasonable range over going new. There would also be a lot more options going second hand, not too many new bikes selling for $2000 or less...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hmm my thoughts were that I could get a better speced bike second hand, but still being in a reasonable range over going new. There would also be a lot more options going second hand, not too many new bikes selling for $2000 or less...
Which glory are you riding and what sort of spec are you wanting?

jenk0s

Likes Dirt
I've got the 2011 00, so all saint. I'm generally looking for a bike that has decent spec, so perhaps around zee or the sram equivalent. Not too fussed but I suppose the higher the spec the better. Cheers for all the replies

jenk0s

Likes Dirt
Hahahaha yea true, I'm not looking at getting a bike with a better spec, more just a bike that I enjoy riding more. I definitely do care about what components it comes with, but i'm not looking at getting an upgrade over what I've already got. If that makes sense.

Useless

Likes Dirt
I'm selling my large polygon DH 1.0 (i'm 6ft 2" and it fits me perfectly), I'm only asking for $2,000 and it's in great condition.

The few times i've riden it, it's been brilliant! rides really nicely and the only reason i'm selling it is because i can't ride full on DH anymore...

PM me for extra info or with an offer because i am rather negotiable and we can sort something out

cheers.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The current polygon suspension set up is an interesting bit of machinery! It looks to combine a little bit of theory from about 3 or 4 of the major suspensiin set ups currently in use. They seem to eat up the square bumps pretty well and have a nice low balance/gravity point.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
If you have a Glory decked out in Saint gear, why don't you just buy a frame/shock with your preferred suspension design and transfer over your existing parts?

Probably end up cheaper.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Jenk0s

I reckon you should sell the frame, buy a new frame that matches your ideas on more fun...I assume you want:
- pop
- cornering
- acceleration
- low standover

More so than the smooth bump eating offerings of a vpp like giant Santa Cruz intense etc..? If so look at something single pivot. Craft works were doing some really cheap prices on their dh frames recently. They look the goods!

Then buy my fox 40s. They will make your bike perfect. They will make you perfect. They are so perfect I have them for sale....oh and sitting in my bike room never to be used until someone else owns them.

jenk0s

Likes Dirt
Selling the frame and shock and swapping over definitely seems like a good idea, although i'm not too sure wether it would be cheaper, as the money I have to get the next bike is reliant on the sale of my current bike. Do you think it would be worth selling the frame, fork, shock and swapping over the rest? Hahahaha yep Pink Poodle, your forks sound great..... Hey Useless, nice bike you've got for sale, but I seem to recall seeing it on eBay for $1,900 ish?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My forks are better than great. They are the result of immaculate conception! No fucking shit....

You will be moderately out of pocket with either option. The question is how good will what you have npe perform in comparison to what you will have? Saint lasts. And the lasts. And lasts....unless you hit a rock with it. Strap that kit and my forks on this:

http://www.craftworkscycles.com/ind...mart/frames/cw-s1-v2-frame-11-detail?Itemid=0

And you are in for some happy days! There is one on here somewhere in a post your ride...looks like a fun arsed bike!

I also have some very nice dh wheels I'd like to move. You could have a pimping ride in not time!

Oh and xt brakes. To keep the weight down and win races.

You know what - pretty.much every part of a dh bike except frame. Cause I sold my frame. So if you want to talk shop...pm me. We could build you a podium bike in a matter of weeks.