Stans Arc EX to hope?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Hi all,

has anyone run this setup here? I'm looking at getting a new set of hoops for the on-one which will mainly be used for trail riding/commuting. I think the arc's will fit the bill for a middle ground tubeless rim that's not extra light xc noodliness, but not dh/dj heavy. Any sharing of experience would be welcome.

Bike is an on-one inbred 26''.

Hubs will be hope trials rear and pro 2 front. Shiny and blue.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
About 12 kazillion people running that combo. It is "Arch"' not Arc.

They are probably the best value wheelset out.

Unless they are more weight conscious, you would struggle to find a user with a bad opinion about them.

Ultra Lord

It's hard to be overly weight conscious with a steel frame and profile bmx cranks.

Sounds pretty good to me, cheers mate.

moorey

call me Mia
Why not get the flow ex? Wider, only a bees dick heavier and a lot stronger. I weighed mine when they first came, hope pro 2 evo hubs, complete wheelset was about 1850g. A couple of years ago, that was respectable xc weight.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Why not get the flow ex? Wider, only a bees dick heavier and a lot stronger. I weighed mine when they first came, hope pro 2 evo hubs, complete wheelset was about 1850g. A couple of years ago, that was respectable xc weight.
Arch EX and Flow EX use basically the same rim profile, they wont be a "lot" stronger.

if it's not going to be ridden that hard or have wide tyres, the Arch EX's will be fine.

Ultra Lord

The widest tyre I'll be running will be a 2.35, and that will be rarely. I do like to jump around abit on the trails but I'm pretty smooth, never destroyed a wheel on a mtb. Bmx is a different story, and I have that whenever I feel like smashing out some real dirt jumps.

I do like a more rounded profile for my tyres, abit more consistent in their grip through the lean angles. Tyres will be 2.0 michellin slicks for commuting and racing ralphs/specialized fast tracks for bush duties.

This will be my first tubeless setup, do you need slime with tubeless specific tyres? Any good choices for tyres other than the above with similar characteristics other than maxxis larsons/crossmarks?

I've been out of the mountain bike loop for awhile, coming back now I'm getting over the constant risk of injuries from riding BMX. And cars are expensive commuters.

moorey

call me Mia
Arch EX and Flow EX use basically the same rim profile, they wont be a "lot" stronger.

if it's not going to be ridden that hard or have wide tyres, the Arch EX's will be fine.
2mm taller, 5mm wider. Stans say the flow is suitable for Dh, arch is not. I expect they know more about than a professional,... Well... You know where I'm going with this...:thumb:

Ultra Lord

scales say 87kg's, but I swear it lies!

actually not as depressing an experience as I thought, swear I would've been in the mid 90's. little victories and all.

My weight is the main reason I haven't gone the lighter stans rim whose name eludes me.

moorey

call me Mia
Crest. Or maybe older Olympics. Arch will be fine. That said, I'd go flow. Either way, great wheels. Enjoy.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
I run crests on my 26 inbred SS mainly because I had them in the shed. Wheels are 4 years old and still going strong. Many stacks and average landings on both my old anthem and stumpy.

Maybe because they are 26 the smaller wheel is stronger. Bent a 29 Crest without even without falling off.

running stans on all my bikes now. Archs have been awesome on my Santa Cruz. Strong and reliable.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Nice mate, keeping it in the family and all.

Got me some thinking to do before I lay down some coin, but apparently I cant really go wrong with stans so I'm pretty stoked right about now.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Running ArchEX on blue Pro2 Evo hubs thanks to suggestions from forum users when I was looking to get better wheels.

They've held up, that's for sure.
I'm 86-90kg/6'3 if that means anything.

Still as straight as the day I got them. :D

marc.r

Likes Dirt
between arch and flow i'd say the biggest decision would be what size rubber and tyre profile you want. there really isnt that much in it weight wise.. something like 40gm a rim?? flow exs are nice and wide!

moorey

call me Mia
Just a bugger the price has jumped so much on the prebuilt hoops lately (not that it affects you). Got my flows with a 10% code on wiggle 9 months ago for $320 delivered, then a set of arch 6 months ago for about $410 delivered, now they are all $550+. Still a fantastic wheel that shits on anything in the price range, IMHO.

Ultra Lord

$88 a hoop from stans site is pretty reasonably I think, plus whatever the rim strips and valves are, and hubs together are in the mid $300's (wooh free shipping from crc). Even if I get my local to build em up for me they still work out cheaper than what I paid for my bmx wheels (g-sport rim to profile hubs + hub guards and peg bolt for rear). How cheap these wheels are is astounding.

And off the site its 60g's a riml and a bee's dick between the widths. Sleeping easy is worth 60g's I think.