Aldi bike stuff

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh I wouldn't recommend the aldi work stand. I've been using one for a while. Very cheaply made, the blue clamp blocks come out every time I try to clamp something in it.
And the head is so bad it rotates where it clamps to the top slider no matter how much you tighten the bolt.
So can't really hold an average weight bike by the seatpost without rotating forwards. Makes it annoying when taking off wheels or forks!

g3rg

Likes Bikes
Yeh I wouldn't recommend the aldi work stand. I've been using one for a while. Very cheaply made, the blue clamp blocks come out every time I try to clamp something in it.
And the head is so bad it rotates where it clamps to the top slider no matter how much you tighten the bolt.
So can't really hold an average weight bike by the seatpost without rotating forwards. Makes it annoying when taking off wheels or forks!
My 3 year old daughter wants to work on her bike while I repair mine... should be good enough for her bikes though?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
My 3 year old daughter wants to work on her bike while I repair mine... should be good enough for her bikes though?
Yep, I have one from the last time they had them, the young bloke uses it for his 20" Chucker no problems. The magnetic screw tray comes in handy for their clumsy little fingers.

s.dogg

Likes Dirt
I also have one. Had no real problems with it. Also it is identical to the $200 fluid one sold at anaconda and I also saw it under anther brand at a bike shop for 149. Same colours and everything, just different stickers. There are definitely better ones out there though.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got the bike stand. It's no professional tool but does the job for basic maintenance. worth the money IMO.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I like mine as well. It's light and works OK if you hang the bike by the top tube in the clamp. Folds up into a small package so its easy to take to races where you may need to do some maintenance. For $40 you really can't go wrong.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I punched some dimples into the horizontal tube so it locks into place a lot more securely at a few set angles. +1 for the portability.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I also have one. Had no real problems with it. Also it is identical to the $200 fluid one sold at anaconda and I also saw it under anther brand at a bike shop for 149. Same colours and everything, just different stickers. There are definitely better ones out there though.
By that logic all red cars are the same ;)

If this is true I'd be interested in it but I'd expect the internals and overall functioning parts are very different quality.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

If this is true I'd be interested in it but I'd expect the internals and overall functioning parts are very different quality.
TBh, its probably the same.
I borrowed a mates on when i was building up a frame. The material of the stand frame itself is quite robust and well finished, with the only issues being the rubber clamps for the jaws kept falling off.... so much so that I lost one (and need to replace it for my mate) and the fact that you cannot hold the bike by the seat post with the front wheel on. It becomes too front heavy and the clamps are not quite strong enough to stop it from swinging forward.

For the cost of it compared to a Park Tool or similar, its great value for a home maintanence mechanic! I will be buying one (and replacing the rubber on my mates one)..........

mattwilkinson

Likes Dirt
I bought one of the stands last year also, Worth every cent but obviously no park tools... As every single other person has pointed out hanging but the seatpost is a no go if you want the bike horizontal. But now I go 1x10 and have no gear cables theres no reason not to hang it by the top tube.

Kinda sucked when you were adjusting gears with the top tube clamped as the gear cable would get snagged on the clamps

I also bought one of the stands last Xmas. For the price it's pretty well built. Took it to the Mont and my mates were pretty shocked it was only $40.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well glad the post was of some use to people. Would be interested in feedback of the other stuff if anyone has bought them before.

s.dogg

Likes Dirt

Nope its identical. I had only bought the stand from aldi the day before seeing it in the other shops.
There are no internals or functioning parts other than what can be seen by the eye.

There are many products out there (not just bike stuff) that is bought from catalogues in china and then just branded to whatever you want.

The new fluid stand is now different, but also more expensive.