New D/H rack from GripSport

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
We've been busy!

Not only have the new "Downhill" Hi-Ride carriers been selling unbelievably well, but we've already released a 2+2 version of it.

That's right... a 2-bike D/H rack for when that's all you need and it converts to a 4-bike rack in just seconds.

All enquiries via phone or web per details below... and you can now follow us on Twitter. Just click here... FOLLOW @gripsport

GripSport
PH: (03) 9466 2553
Email: mail@gripsport.com.au
Web: www.gripsport.com.au

Attachments

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Hey Grip any chance of developing a six bike one similar to the canadian ones? Im currently in the market for one. Need to carry 6 but have no room for a trailer so must be a rack....

Grip

Hey Grip any chance of developing a six bike one similar to the canadian ones? Im currently in the market for one. Need to carry 6 but have no room for a trailer so must be a rack....
Appreciate the suggestion (and we have looked at it in the past) but to be honest... no. Mainly because 6 D/H bikes and the rack necessary to carry them, would overload most of Australia's heavy duty towbars. And because we couldn't control how our product was used (I can guarantee you some muppet would work out a way of fitting it to a Hyundai Getz) we run the risk of it ripping the arse end out of someone's car... and even if we weren't "legally" liable for something like that, I just don't want to end up being responsible for killing the family traveling behind that tumbling mass of 6 D/H bikes coming adrift at highway speeds. This is also the reason we don't put "hinges" in our carriers.

And remember... Yanks and Canadians tend to mount those racks on their "trucks"... and those jiggers are considerably bigger/stronger than the vehicles in Australia fitted with "heavy duty" towbars.

dunndog

Eats Squid
what kind of car do you have? If there were some other point that you could load the weight on to take some or all of it off the towbar (think supports from the rack fitted to the bed of a ute) then that style would definitely be a goer.. Been thinking along those lines now myself. If that's not an option then agreed with Grip, 6 bikes worth of bouncing tow bar isn't ideal I wouldn't think.

Grip

what kind of car do you have? If there were some other point that you could load the weight on to take some or all of it off the towbar (think supports from the rack fitted to the bed of a ute) then that style would definitely be a goer.. Been thinking along those lines now myself. If that's not an option then agreed with Grip, 6 bikes worth of bouncing tow bar isn't ideal I wouldn't think.
Absolutely, dunndog. We've done a lot of custom carriers (for everything from "kick" bikes and racing trikes through to penny farthings and combo racks for bicycles and motos/wheelchairs/scooters etc) so actually building a 6-bike North Shore type rack isn't the problem. But our custom racks still mount onto one generic point of a car - being the towbar - and our custom work is really all about holding someone's weird shaped bike (or combination of bikes) securely.

But once you start talking about something that needs "extra" mounting on anything other than the generic point of a towbar, you end up having to fully customize every single rack to suit every single vehicle. Not really economically sound (or cost effective for the customer) and might well constitute an illegal mod to a vehicle (as opposed to just fitting a bike rack to a towbar - which is totally legal).

Scratch6

Likes Dirt
Just picked up my DH bike carrier from you guys today and gotta say you guys rock!!!!! Thanks for the advice about the rego plate and awesome customer service. Much appreciated. Will put the carrier to good use very soon. Now just have to contact vicroads for the bike carrier rego plate.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
Just picked up my DH bike carrier from you guys today and gotta say you guys rock!!!!! Thanks for the advice about the rego plate and awesome customer service. Much appreciated. Will put the carrier to good use very soon. Now just have to contact vicroads for the bike carrier rego plate.
I just picked mine up yesterday. Haven't fitted it yet. What is the advice regarding the rego plate?

Scratch6

Likes Dirt
I just picked mine up yesterday. Haven't fitted it yet. What is the advice regarding the rego plate?
Car rear rego plate cannot be obscured otherwise we can be fined and same goes for the tail lights etc. So just ot be safe, I picked up the light and rego plate mount module that Grip Sport sells for $139 or so just ot be safe. Don't want to be pulled over and given a fine on my way to or from riding. Plus gives me complete peace of mind knowing the whole set-up is all legal. Oh he also said that it's illegal to have a bike rack on the rear of the car when no bikes are being transported.

Grip

Thank you muchly for the kind words. Pleasure meeting you and being able to help.

Last edited:

Toxic

Likes Dirt
Can you get the wheel and frame holders to retrofit older Hi-Rides? I have combinations of bikes that don't like each other with the regular holders.

Grip

Can you get the wheel and frame holders to retrofit older Hi-Rides? I have combinations of bikes that don't like each other with the regular holders.
Unfortunately no. The "Classic" (original) Hi-Ride was rated for 2 bikes up to 17 kg each and had a frame designed and built for that loading. While the new "Downhill" model looks pretty similar it's actually not and has been designed and built as a true downhill carrier and is rated for 2 bikes up to 28kg each.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
Car rear rego plate cannot be obscured otherwise we can be fined and same goes for the tail lights etc. So just ot be safe, I picked up the light and rego plate mount module that Grip Sport sells for $139 or so just ot be safe. Don't want to be pulled over and given a fine on my way to or from riding. Plus gives me complete peace of mind knowing the whole set-up is all legal. Oh he also said that it's illegal to have a bike rack on the rear of the car when no bikes are being transported.
Yeah sorry, am fully abreast of the legal side of things, just thought from reading the earlier post there was some kind of attachment for the plate to carrier, or that VicRoads could make a replica plate to attach?