Paint protection on new cars... Worth it or not?

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I have just got a reasonably good deal on a new Nissan Xtrail in black and pick it up in about a week. The dealership are now telling me that it is highly recommended I purchase a car protection kit (paint/vinyl/material) for a bargain price of $2300!! My first reaction "I can buy over 10x $200 full car protection kits that do exactly what you are offering. Whats the difference between this kit and what you are offering besides the labour involved?!"... I kinda didn't get much of an answer, basically just got told I would get a 12mth warrenty if they did it.

What is your opinions on a car protection kit? I felt that $2300 was a bit steep and a huge rip of. I'd prefer to do it myself for $200.

Also I have never owned a black car before. Any tips to keep them looking good? I've been told to use touch free washes only so you don't get swirl marks.

Cheers!

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Willsy01 is correct, you can get it at a fraction ofthe cost if you went direct to who he Dealer uses.

Don't get stung, save your dollars and get it done later by a Pro for much much less if you want it. Personally on all my cars over the years, as long as you clean them regularly, and remove bird poop and sap ASAP, you should have no issues. Also depends on if you park the car outside or n a garage or unde a carport as to how much you have to clean them, but $2300, man they are hoping your are their woodduck for month, give them a wide birth.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
There is only one reason the Stealership offers the 'Protection Packs' (and usually offered by a blonde hottie with a sensational pr)

=PROFIT!

You can have a better result with a can of Scotch Guard, Tint Film and most importantly a good paint correction and maintenance product pack. All this should cost you no more than a couple hundred and last years.

as willsy stated - Good wash mitts, shampoo, grit guards, snow foam lance and wax will do so much better

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Work gets the paint protection on the fleet cars, and they're tighter than a ducks arse; they wouldn't be paying for it if wasn't good value.

I've had my car since November last year, haven't waxed it at all, and the paint still beads when wet.

Having said all that, there's no way I'd shell out my own cash for it.

Last edited:

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
I agree with the above posts wouldn't pay for it. Prefer to wax my own cars and know its done correct. Some say it's great though but been told if it has it you cant polish or wax it, I couldn't handle not being able to wax my own car, enjoy giving it a go over and check for scratches and stuff but I'm a car freak.

hathill

Likes Dirt
Paint protection - .............pffffft

"Now that you have settled on the price, I'll introduce you to our sales manager who will try to flog all this useless shit on to you!"

The list goes something like this - Paint protection, fabric protection, window tinting, Electronic rust prevention etc etc. The only one that is any good might be the tinting.

As for paint protection - give me a break. Think about it - What do these companies know that companies like DuPont etc don't about paint? They have only been developing the stuff for 50+ years and know there shit about UV/corrosion etc. I think I'll take my chances with the manufacturers paint job and a bit of polish now and then thanks very much (Unless it's some cheapy south east asian, Chinese or possibly some European cars. Actually, Euro cars would need plastic protection as some well known brands are renown for their interiors falling to bits in the Aussie sun.)

This also applies to any extended warranty plans, snake oil service departments who try to up sell injection cleaning/air conditioning deodorising/unnecessary wheel alignments etc etc.

You have been warned

teK--

Eats Squid
^^ QFT Dealer sold paint protection is one of the biggest scams. Much better using the money on several professional details and polymer sealing coats.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not to mention that it's probably done by the apprentice or work experience kid.

"here, slap some of this stuff on that car we just got a couple of grand, make sure you do it quick and get on to the next one. Hey don't spill it, that's like $20 per bottle."

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I think I will give it a miss. You have all confirmed what I was thinking.

Thanks for everyone's opinions.

And yeah any tips on duco maintenance would be great.

Thanks everyone!

indica

Serial flasher
Does it matter?
Does any of it make the car run better or last longer?

My Triton with 326,000 kms has fucked paint but still drives fine. Where is the issue?

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I applied it for the better part of a year on and off whilst i was a first year, its glorified polish...

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Does it matter?
Does any of it make the car run better or last longer?

My Triton with 326,000 kms has fucked paint but still drives fine. Where is the issue?
There is no issue?? You are right, it doesn't make it run better or last longer. It does however offer better re-sale value if the paint isn't fucked and the car looks like its been looked after. It also simply comes down to the fact that I would like my new car to look clean and tidy.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Go to the car care products website (post #2) and check it out. Call the guys and talk to them about what you want to do and then spend a 1/4 of the dealers price and get yourself all the gear you need to do the same (probably better) job for the next 5 years. I had my last car delivered without any washing or detailing from the dealer. Got it home, washed it, clay barred the paint (you would be amazed at the filth on the claybar which would have been under the detail), washed it again, hit it with an RO polisher, another wash, then two part synthetic paint protection. Irregular washes and upkeep keeps the paint fine. It is a daily driver and 3 years on the paint looks like this:

Don't waste your money.

faz

Likes Dirt
"Now that you have settled on the price, I'll introduce you to our sales manager who will try to flog all this useless shit on to you!"
That's the most annoying part of buying a new car. You've already committed a fair chunk of your time by test driving, negotiating your trade in, your final pricing including the factory extras you want only then to waste time sitting down with these people who try to woo you with their inferior products and poor salesmanship.

When I bought my car the girl had all these bags done up with names on them telling me that these are the people who had taken advantage of the offer already. There was only one explanation because I didin't think people we that dumb into being conned into it - they were fake orders.

After all that I then sat down with the finance guy - who was a mate of a mate - who asked if I took advantage of the offers and when I said "No", he replied saying "good choice". Just goes to show that if they don't believe in it themselves then no one else should.

willsy01

Eats Squid
That's the most annoying part of buying a new car. You've already committed a fair chunk of your time by test driving, negotiating your trade in, your final pricing including the factory extras you want only then to waste time sitting down with these people who try to woo you with their inferior products and poor salesmanship.

When I bought my car the girl had all these bags done up with names on them telling me that these are the people who had taken advantage of the offer already. There was only one explanation because I didin't think people we that dumb into being conned into it - they were fake orders.

After all that I then sat down with the finance guy - who was a mate of a mate - who asked if I took advantage of the offers and when I said "No", he replied saying "good choice". Just goes to show that if they don't believe in it themselves then no one else should.
Lol......my brother picked up a second hand Golf GTI from a dealer a while back and is the type of person they hate.

• Bargained HARD
  • Paid cash
  • Said no to every extra they tried to sell him

The chick that tried to sell him all the extras actually started getting a little pissed off which was funny to watch. With each no he gave her, she got angrier and angrier. The funniest bit was when she tried to tell him that polish is actually BAD for the paint as it's abrasive......she recoiled very quickly when he said he was a semi-professional detailer.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Lol......my brother picked up a second hand Golf GTI from a dealer a while back and is the type of person they hate.

• Bargained HARD
  • Paid cash
  • Said no to every extra they tried to sell him

The chick that tried to sell him all the extras actually started getting a little pissed off which was funny to watch. With each no he gave her, she got angrier and angrier. The funniest bit was when she tried to tell him that polish is actually BAD for the paint as it's abrasive......she recoiled very quickly when he said he was a semi-professional detailer.
Polish is abrasive - thats the whole point of it; you shouldn't polish your paint too much as you are slowly wearing down the clear coats.
Wax is the protective layer you put on top that makes the water bead up and makes it look shiny.