Obscore/Rare/Dream DH Bikes ?

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
A photo of my OLD stable...
Loved my old shockwave. Wish i never sold it.
My fav plow forks.

I cannot find a photo, but i used to have a polished GT Lts1 team which had a fox air rear shock(titanium link i think) with Mag 21s (long travel-63mm) then upgraded to the 1st Z1's(orange with disc mounts both sides-wow wow wow-they were it). It had xtr canti's and i then upgraded to the 1st V's. Sold it to a kid in the blue mtns-why why do we sell ????
I think from memory it cost me $3000 for the frame/fork from Dave at Universe Cycles in Pmatta..... He was the man.....

Attachments

faz

Likes Dirt
I know "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but damn there are some ugly bikes in this thread, many of which only a mother could love. Great thread nonetheless!!

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
Haro DHR (made by intense) he won the world cup i think maybe it was world champs on one a black one with dorado's on looks amazing, i prefer it to the m1 big call but its my opinion, chainstays always snapped typical of intense.
Minnaar's honda dual bike
Any old friend who's in Adelaide now still has Mik Hannahs old Haro DHR...Funnily it was the first ever downhill specific bike I ever rode. Awesome bikes!

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm loving this linkage driven atx.

Hadn't seen it before.

For me though, it would have to be the honda with the showa forks/shock. A thing of true beauty.

Note the stem height also... and what many riders are back to doing at the WC level now days.

scblack

Leucocholic
For me though, it would have to be the honda with the showa forks/shock. A thing of true beauty.

Note the stem height also... and what many riders are back to doing at the WC level now days.
The stem height riders are running, is a track dependent issue. Basically the trend is low as possible currently. But for STEEP tracks like Champery many riders are running a taller stem, so they can get weight back behind the bike more.

MB

Intense Australia
OK, so here are a few of my oldskool faves... I personally think the Vprocess was amazing, but early on I had a massive hard-on for the Cannondale Fulcrum DH... First successful incarnation of VPP anyone?

The second one that should be included is the old style twin tube Turner DHR... I am fortunate enough to have owned one of these things, the first being a twin tube '03 then I had the '05. Truly incredible bikes, with geometry and suspension design ideas way ahead of their time!

Attachments

J@se

Breezeway Bandit

Not sure if its been posted, but deserves a repost anyway!

Also, Napalms M1 in this segment!

[video=youtube;LI4e7REs-5Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI4e7REs-5Y[/video]

Last edited:

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The stem height riders are running, is a track dependent issue. Basically the trend is low as possible currently. But for STEEP tracks like Champery many riders are running a taller stem, so they can get weight back behind the bike more.
My example was actually off duncan riffle's bike at sea otter, not a steep track by any means. But yeah, track dependent, and rider chosen. Personally, i think the height (but nothing stupid) is better.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Can't find any pictures but the old Yuri Minki is an interesting bike to say the least. I had a ride of one down a local track and it was a mega plush bike for its time.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
A riding buddy of mine used to rock one of these back in 1997.:pirate:

It rode pretty good too, those Z1 Bombers were rad!

I had a Trek Y-11 OCLV! Plastic Baby!!

Not mine but mine looked pretty much the same. I still have the frame in the garage.

Last edited:

donny70

Likes Dirt
This was a DH bike but I've restored it so now it's my trail bike and I got the weight down to 11.8kg too...

Last edited: