Reign 2 weight?

wintortree

Likes Dirt
Hi guy
I'm looking at buying a reign 2 does anyone know what they weigh.
I,ve look on the net and can not find it anywhere.

Also anyone know howbthey climb with the lock out on

Cheer,s

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
got one, but got no idea how much it weighs, though by feel it feels lighter than a sub 2k 6 inc bike should.

I did think about this question before I bought one, and figured that if it really matters that much to me, I should be looking at an anthem???/

Anyways, if you want to do dual action with it, you could get an xc wheel set for it, a 110mm stem (depends on what size and which one you get of course), and it could drop a 2/3 kilo of rotating weight easy. stick an extra 20lbs in the shock and away you go.

its actually pretty quick compared to my rush - you can climb straight ahead in rocks and down you just go straight again - np picking your way.

Terror

Squid
My New Reign 2 in a small size was 13.7KG...after ugradeing a few components ie getting rid of the boat anchor tyres & wheelset the bike now weighs 13.1kg with tubes. As nice as the bike feels standard it feels a lot better with a better wheelset & so much faster.:cool:

b0ing

Likes Dirt
My New Reign 2 in a small size was 13.7KG...after ugradeing a few components ie getting rid of the boat anchor tyres & wheelset the bike now weighs 13.1kg with tubes. As nice as the bike feels standard it feels a lot better with a better wheelset & so much faster.:cool:
What wheelset did you put on it?

wintortree

Likes Dirt
Yea sweet Thanks for the feed back.

I don't want a xc bike but i do want a trail/am bike and can't choose between the reign2 or the trance x3.

How does the reign go uphill (does the fork wander)

I do like the slacker HA on the reign.

Terror

Squid
What wheelset did you put on it?
I put on the Sun Ringle charger pro's ....there lighter & stronger than the standard wheelset. The standard wheelset was great for the six months i twas on it but i would say that the rear hub & wheelset are very basic which i expect from a $2000 bike..something has to give with the price. The new wheel set make the bike feel more lively & provides the confidence to corner even harder.I ride all mountain & love to hit drops & jumps that are in my way.I ride light trail to full downhill trails on the bike & have recorded faster times on this bike than my old Santa Cruz bullit

Terror

Squid
Yea sweet Thanks for the feed back.

I don't want a xc bike but i do want a trail/am bike and can't choose between the reign2 or the trance x3.

How does the reign go uphill (does the fork wander)

I do like the slacker HA on the reign.
Yeah i test rode the trance & the Reign as well as a few other's & what sold me on the reign was the head angle the reign is just a lot faster & more fun going down than the trance, The trance is a better climber no doubt but the reign is no slug. I think the fork is great on the reign no complaints. a lot of the guys i ride with have 140mm bikes & i don't struggle to keep or lead the front of the pack,The one negative of the bike is the rear tyre... its slow & really should be swapped from the get go.I only weigh 70kg but i believe the rear shock would have to be shimmed for any riders that weigh over 85kg & enjoy there drops as it chews through the rear travel on the RP2.

b0ing

Likes Dirt
Yeah i test rode the trance & the Reign as well as a few other's & what sold me on the reign was the head angle the reign is just a lot faster & more fun going down than the trance, The trance is a better climber no doubt but the reign is no slug. I think the fork is great on the reign no complaints. a lot of the guys i ride with have 140mm bikes & i don't struggle to keep or lead the front of the pack,The one negative of the bike is the rear tyre... its slow & really should be swapped from the get go.I only weigh 70kg but i believe the rear shock would have to be shimmed for any riders that weigh over 85kg & enjoy there drops as it chews through the rear travel on the RP2.
+1.

I also rode the Trance and Anthem but the slacker head angle on the Reign was very noticable.

Kramer

FoBR
I have an 08 TranceX1 and have given a 2011 Reign 0 a good test ride (thanks Giant). The Reign climbs almost a well as my Trance and weighs only a little more, but the Reign descends with less nervousness.

I think the suspension on the Reign2 is better than the TranceX3 - Fox RP2 vs Fox Float R.

rydo2.0

Likes Bikes
I only weigh 70kg but i believe the rear shock would have to be shimmed for any riders that weigh over 85kg & enjoy there drops as it chews through the rear travel on the RP2.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of sag are you running on the rear shock? I was on Manly Dam over the weekend and I was chewing through the rear travel and I'm pushing the 85Kg mark fully kitted.

Reigner

Likes Bikes
I find my Reign climbs very well considering the geometry of the bike. I've never ridden a trance or anthem though so cant compare directly.

I believe the compromise (be it minimal) of ability to climb would be worth it for how good they are going down hill. Very capable AM bikes.

No idea on the weight, never weighed mine as it doesn't really concern me, its light enough lol.

driftking

Wheel size expert
This is the only issue with the giant website, they dont note their bikes weight. They just have some paragraph to justify that weights will varry, Ok we get that, but why not just say weights may slightly vary with sizing then give us a average or expected weight. It cant be that hard.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Also anyone know howbthey climb with the lock out on
Wintortree, it's not a bad climber but you will find yourself wandering around when climbing really tight switchbacks. Thankfully the frame responds well to rider movement and you can climb all over the front end to keep it on track - without losing traction.

I think that it's a fantastic do anything bike. Sort of like the Swiss Army knife of the bike world.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I find my Reign climbs very well considering the geometry of the bike.
It's interesting to see how the Reign frame has evolved over the years because it will have an affect on how riders feel about the bike.

When first released, it had a lively 69.5 degree head angle. This was what had me laying cash down for one then. Plush all mountain suspension but with quick steering.

In 2007 the frame changed and head angle slackened to 69 degrees. That was noticeable.

In 2008 the frame lost nearly a whole kg in weight and stiffened which was impressive and again noticeable but the head angle remained at 69 degrees.

In 2009, the front end slackened a whopping degree to 68 degrees. 2010 it all stayed the same and the bank account breathed a sigh of relief....

2011 is another new frame and another 0.5 degrees taken out of the head angle - 67.5 degrees which I reckon is getting pretty slack for some trails.

All along the seat tube angle remained steady at 73.5 degree.

Now I find myself kind of longing for the early model's steeper and quicker head angle. Interestingly, the current Trance X has all but the exact same geometry of the original Reign (but at 5" travel instead of 5.75" and a whole lot lighter).

That said there's a brand new Regin frame sitting in the factory ready to be unboxed and built..... It's still the bike I'd take anywhere on just about any trail on the planet and feel confident that I'd get through. Moreover, it's satisfying to know that the bike wouldn't try to kill me and that there's every chance I'd be smiling at the end of the ride ready to high five anyone near me. :cool:

wintortree

Likes Dirt
Wintortree, it's not a bad climber but you will find yourself wandering around when climbing really tight switchbacks. Thankfully the frame responds well to rider movement and you can climb all over the front end to keep it on track - without losing traction.

I think that it's a fantastic do anything bike. Sort of like the Swiss Army knife of the bike world.
Thanks for the feed back. It's good to hear it from someone who has owned a few of them. Have you ridden the trance x. Im guessing they climb alot better. I'm stuck between choosing between the both of them. I'm not going to ride any dh tracks on it as I have my carbon v10 for that. But I do ride pretty hard. I like that the trance x will climb well but not shore if it will handle an aggressive style of riding. Which leads me to the reign. I like the HA on the reign as it's more aggressive but I do wanna climb to the top easy to.

I guess what I'm asking is the trance x more trail/am or more xc/trail

The price is the same ether way as I am buying the base model due to I have a full drivetrain and brakes to put on so spec is not going to be a deciding factor.

Which do would you guys buy and why

i have a 2011 reign 1 and i love it!! can't find a real fault in it and it only climbs as hard as the rider is willing to go!! so if you can keep on going, it aint going to stop:)

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Thanks for the feed back. It's good to hear it from someone who has owned a few of them. Have you ridden the trance x. Im guessing they climb alot better.

The price is the same ether way as I am buying the base model due to I have a full drivetrain and brakes to put on so spec is not going to be a deciding factor.

Which do would you guys buy and why
The Trance X is certainly a lovely and lively bike. More so than the Reign. My wife rides a Trance and I do enjoy borrowing it from time to time.

Both climb well but the Trance is certainly the bike to choose if you're climbing tight and technical trails. Anything with a steep and tight switchback will have you weaving and walking on the Reign but picking your line and in the saddle on the Trance. If the climbs are straight up then there's not much in it - but again the Trance will let you steer up much better. An Anthem however will steer and ride around either of them.

Tell me Wintortree, where are you planning on riding? You've mentioned that you'd like a bike that climbs several times now so I'm guessing that you should be leaning towards the Trance X. It's a fun bike and it will feel like a sports car compared to the V10.

The main reason I keep coming back to a Reign is that at my age, I have developed a strong sense of self preservation and the Reign looks after me better. Much of my riding is done where there are no tracks in the Kimberleys or the Victorian High Country or Central Aus. On the other hand, if I ride the trails in the Dandenongs on the Reign, I spend the day wondering why I didn't take an Anthem.... However I don't mind getting off the bike and walking the tight steep bits.

Wintortree I'm not a fan of buying base models because of the compromise in the three things that are important to me (other than the frame) - wheels, fork & crank. The rest is stuff you'll wear or upgrade in short time. A high end build is lot nicer to ride. My current Reign weighs 11.3 kg with pedals and it feels fast and responsive.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
really? what build kit is on that? any pics?
It's built with a bunch of X0 and xtr gear, revelation fork, mavic wheels and carbon everything else.

I reckon it could drop to 11 dead for another couple of $grand for little sacrifice to strength.