29er wheels

Nath8

Likes Dirt
These are almost too expensive to mention, but anyway:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/04/14...ultra-lightweight-ec90-xc-wheels-26-and-29er/

• 1416 grams per set (29”)
  • $2600 USD
Drool!!!!!

Taking a gamble on a velocity blunt rim.
That's not a gamble. Blunt's are good strong rims and built properly will last. Good choice in my book.
As for the Spinergy's, I've owned the 26" version before and some of my riding buddies have owned them as well. They seriously never seem to go out of true and put up with quite a bit of abuse. Read some reviews on MTBR. I'll be buying the 29er version as soon as I can to put on my rigid. They aren't the lightest of wheels going round, but maybe thats why they hang together.

notime

Likes Dirt
Have been doing a bit of a look around. Taking a gamble on a velocity blunt rim as i was able to get a good deal through the LBS to replace the current wheel. The rim is heavier then a lot of the rims out there on the market but they seem to be getting good reviews from heavier people.
I have a blunt wheelset they are a great rims, currently not it use though. Velocity now also do a tubless kit with tape and valves to suit and a bontrager rythem strip will also fit a blunt.
+ they are Australian Made.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So any recommendations for heavier riders around the 115kg mark?

Did this last night at glenrock at the very top of BJ's (went around the log drop), photo kinda indicates how smooth the trail was no ruts or anything like that just turned the wheel against the slope at under 10kmph.

Wheel was from a stumpjumper comp 29er
Custom DT Swiss X450SL, alloy 29", 24mm w/ eyelets, 32h running tubeless with a Control 2.2 tyre @ 30psi

Looking around on the web it looks like these rims may have a rider limit of 90kg but I am appalled out how trashed the wheel got from not actually hitting anything. The join has split but the tyre is still remained inflated under tubeless.

So the issue I have seen from this thread especially with the comments about the various Stans Rims is most of the posters saying they are great and strong are under the 90kg mark. Note sure what this wheel weighs, its 2kg with the control tyre on it, 8" hope floating rotor and a bottle of stans in it so I suspect its a reasonably light wheel. I would love to get something of a similar weight but not if its going to do this so I am not sure if a Flow rim for example is going to be better. I would rather have a more bullet proof wheel then a lighter one because walking the bike back to the car on one wheel negated any rotational mass saved...
Stans flows, professionally laced.

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
I bought a pair of Easton EA90's from the guy in this link. The freight was expensive (USD190!!!!) but they still cost me only AUD830 delivered to my door. The service was excellent and fast. They're NOT 1560g per pair: that is a manufacturer's typo. They're 1700g and they're..... GOOD!

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Thoughts on these bad boys?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...ston-haven-disc-wheelset-29"-6706.2561.0.html

Was thinking of grabbing a set for my 29" build project.
I think there pretty good, haven't had any of the reported hub issues, but I think you knew I was going to say that. There much stiffer than the Bontragers that I was on previously. The only issue I had was I couldn't run a 160 rotor as the spokes "just" clipped the caliper on the front, a 185 rotor solved that though and I can't believe I didn't try one sooner.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
I bought a pair of Easton EA90's from the guy in this link. The freight was expensive (USD190!!!!) but they still cost me only AUD830 delivered to my door. The service was excellent and fast. They're NOT 1560g per pair: that is a manufacturer's typo. They're 1700g and they're..... GOOD!
Quoted weight does not include optional freehub body.

- Joel

StevOOO

Squid
Whats with the different sizes in the two Easton EA90 XC wheelset ebay links. One says 15mm fronts and 9mm rear, while the other set is 9mm front and 10mm rear. Excuse my ignorance but are these straight replacement wheels or do you need to add anything to them. Cheers

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
Whats with the different sizes in the two Easton EA90 XC wheelset ebay links?
The particular product in the link I posted was for 15mm thru-axle front, and 9mm QR rear. They are perfect for the Anthem 29er which has... 15mm thru-axle front, and 9mm QR rear!

Doubtless the other axle sizes are appropriate for their intended use, but of course you should check and double-check before ordering.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The standard diameter for the rear wheel dropout is 10mm. Recent developments have brought us the 12mm.

9mm is standard for the front, unless you have a 15 or 20.

I think the 9mm rear in the add might be a typo.

DW-1

Dirt Works
:eek: OMG :eek:

950g... the pair.

But is the world ready for 29er tubular when it's just starting to look at 26" tubular...?

Elvis.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Looks like a nice set of CX wheels. Surely wheels that light would be wasted on a flat-bar hybrid :p

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
More info on the DT swiss set(s) here: http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/04/17...bon-tubulars-alloy-clinchers-rims/#more-30726

Target weight is around 1200g for the 29er version. This set weighed in at 679 (rear) and 575g (front) for a total of 1254.
The Tricon XM 1550 29 Tubeless wheelset uses their high end three-piece Tricon hubs with the spoke mounts that are bonded and screwed to the hub body. This let’s them run about 15% higher spoke tension without putting stresses on the hubshell that would affect the bearings.....Weight is claimed around 1765g, but that’s not final yet. This set came in at 971g (rear) and 843g (front) = 1814g, so they’ve got a bit of trimming to do to hit that goal,

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
:eek: OMG :eek:

950g... the pair.

But is the world ready for 29er tubular when it's just starting to look at 26" tubular...?

Elvis.
Imagine the weight they could achieve if they took all the paint off the spokes. Srsly, when did silver spokes become uncool?

- Joel