29er wheels

Beej1

I would recommend a Stan's/Sun BST type tubeless wheelset over a UST wheel any day. The Eastons are well made and have nice hubs, but running Stan's tubeless versus UST is a no-brainer for me. Retail price here on Sun or Stan's wheels is about $800 as well, and they'll both be lighter than the Havens.

- Joel
Yeah I've heard nothing but good things about Stans Flows, which I was going to go with.

I'm not too concerned about weight. It's primarily strength, then reliability, then weight (then looks). So the Halo Freedom Disc Pro 29ers would be up there for the first two, but they're over 200g so they lose out on the last (and the last).

My original intention was to run Hope ProII's with the Flows, or Velocity Blunt rims. But to be honest, I like the Havens more. I've watched the vids on how they build & true their wheels, and I've been happy with the Easton stuff so far, so I think I'm sold.

Plan is to run non-UST tyres + sealant. I've read some tips from folk doing the same on UST rims (including these), and no problems from them.

chelli

Squid
My Easton Haven 2011 wheels. I have never had wheels like this before. They are so different to the stock wheels. A good upgrade. The hubs look sexy to:rolleyes:

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Spied a set of Crests on Stans hubs, available locally via Jet Black. Not sure on exact rrp, but in the order of $800. Sub 1500gms for the set.

Waiting on a ride report, but I could be tempted by these!

Beej1

What about the non-carbon ones, can be found relatively cheaply. (about 1750grms, no where near 1500grms though- jingers that's light)
Indeed, the black ALU ones are the ones I'm after. So far the cheapest I've found is $650 plus shipping on eBay. Know anywhere cheaper? If so, please share.

Variateur

Likes Bikes
Easton EA 90 XC 29'er wheels

Got these nice Easton wheels from Outdoor outfitters in the US. Lighter than the Havens, nice hubs, 19 mm instead of 21 mm internal width, tubeless ready. 1650 grams. Works well with Schwalbe tyres. Not much difference in weight to the Easton Haven Carbons, but less than half the price....

IMG_9327.jpgIMG_9331.jpg

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
Give us and idea of the price landed here in OZ. I have looked at these as an alternative to Crest/Hope combo. A ride report as soon as you can would be great to.
I got mine for $839 landed in Aus. That's excellent value for money. They are working very well indeed.

Slank

Likes Bikes
So any recommendations for heavier riders around the 115kg mark?

Did this last night at glenrock at the very top of BJ's (went around the log drop), photo kinda indicates how smooth the trail was no ruts or anything like that just turned the wheel against the slope at under 10kmph.

Wheel was from a stumpjumper comp 29er
Custom DT Swiss X450SL, alloy 29", 24mm w/ eyelets, 32h running tubeless with a Control 2.2 tyre @ 30psi

Looking around on the web it looks like these rims may have a rider limit of 90kg but I am appalled out how trashed the wheel got from not actually hitting anything. The join has split but the tyre is still remained inflated under tubeless.

So the issue I have seen from this thread especially with the comments about the various Stans Rims is most of the posters saying they are great and strong are under the 90kg mark. Note sure what this wheel weighs, its 2kg with the control tyre on it, 8" hope floating rotor and a bottle of stans in it so I suspect its a reasonably light wheel. I would love to get something of a similar weight but not if its going to do this so I am not sure if a Flow rim for example is going to be better. I would rather have a more bullet proof wheel then a lighter one because walking the bike back to the car on one wheel negated any rotational mass saved...

Attachments

supagav

Likes Bikes
Flow

I am riding a Flow on my SS and i have smashed and bashed it a lot over the last 2 yrs or so. It is still going great. I havent even had to true it up yet.

One of the keys things for a good wheel is correct and even spoke tension and having it laced up by a good wheel builder. check out Greg at TWE if you want someone in Sydney. He only builds wheels for job and he is very good at it.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt

Did this last night at glenrock at the very top of BJ's (went around the log drop), photo kinda indicates how smooth the trail was no ruts or anything like that just turned the wheel against the slope at under 10kmph.

Wheel was from a stumpjumper comp 29er
Custom DT Swiss X450SL, alloy 29", 24mm w/ eyelets, 32h running tubeless with a Control 2.2 tyre @ 30psi

Looking around on the web it looks like these rims may have a rider limit of 90kg but I am appalled out how trashed the wheel got from not actually hitting anything. The join has split but the tyre is still remained inflated under tubeless.

So the issue I have seen from this thread especially with the comments about the various Stans Rims is most of the posters saying they are great and strong are under the 90kg mark. Note sure what this wheel weighs, its 2kg with the control tyre on it, 8" hope floating rotor and a bottle of stans in it so I suspect its a reasonably light wheel. I would love to get something of a similar weight but not if its going to do this so I am not sure if a Flow rim for example is going to be better. I would rather have a more bullet proof wheel then a lighter one because walking the bike back to the car on one wheel negated any rotational mass saved...
TWE is your best bet

Roland

N.B. - Have to add that Greg is a prize sponsor of one of our events, however I have purchased a set of his wheels at normal prices. Used them in a six hour last year where the bike ended up with a bent fork, ie, NO TRAVEL, but the wheels are still perfect and used on another bike

Last edited:

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
TWE is your best bet

Roland

N.B. - Have to add that Greg is a prize sponsor of one of our events, however I have purchased a set of his wheels at normal prices. Used them in a six hour last year where the bike ended up with a bent fork, ie, NO TRAVEL, but the wheels are still perfect and used on another bike
Check out the latest AMB mag. There is a review of Jenny Fay's Superfly which features some of Gregs great work. It refers to the wheels.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Nice photo!! Thoroughly impressed.
I'm 110kgs these days after a long UK winter and trying to get myself back down to my previous 95kgs.
My Stans Arches have not skipped a beat and they get a good thrashing in the steep rocky trails of Wales.
Lets face it guys like us aren't aspiring to stand on an podiums and we can push the extra weight.
Leave the light race worthy stuff for the flyweights.

Last edited:

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Have you checked out the shimano XT 29er wheels?
I recently replaced my DT wheels with them and so far been great! I have the same wheels on my 26er and have yet to have any issues apart from servicing the bearings (terra australis, world 24, many 100km events and training! :)

Slank

Likes Bikes
Have been doing a bit of a look around. Taking a gamble on a velocity blunt rim as i was able to get a good deal through the LBS to replace the current wheel. The rim is heavier then a lot of the rims out there on the market but they seem to be getting good reviews from heavier people.

I am not 100% convinced on the idea of bombproof wheel sets as I have seen a lot of reviews from people claiming wheel sets are great bombproof, light weight etc only to have a heavier rider show results to the contrary. Its completely understandable for a wheel set to be labeled as bombproof if someone can ride a wheel set through poor conditions for 100's of KM and not need them trued etc but if the rider is half the weight of the punter considering buying the wheel set the review will be bias. Nothing they can do about it really.

There is just a lack of information out there on rider weight limits, i guess because a rim can easily be undone by poor wheel builds. DT Swiss seem to do it for their rims although this is an issue when companies use different model numbers on their rims to DT Swiss. Couldnt ever find limits on Stans or the Easton rims, the Havens looked nice but there is that part in the back of my mind that says how miffed will you be if that rave review expensive wheel set does a similar thing.

If the blunt doesnt hold up I will go to twe, will probably go to twe anyway and get a backup set or use them as the primary set and use the existing wheels as a backup. I dont push my bikes hard when i ride, 39min at mount annan, 40-45min at awaba but this is because I know the forces i am putting on the bike are going to be greater then average rider because of my size.