Anyone Know Boiling Point Of Shimano Mineral Oil?

holdenutes_93

Likes Dirt
Hey I was told that my brake fluid had been boiled (Shimano Mineral Oil) and I needed a bleed. So now I am curious to know the temperature of which the Shimano Mineral Oil boils at. Mainly as I am considering an upgrade to some Avid 5s which use DOT 5.1 brake fluid that has a dry boiling point of 270 degrees celcius and wet boiling point of 185 degress celcius. I got that information of the Motul Brake Fluid website. Would that be compatible with normal bike brakes? Thanks

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i very highly doubt youve boiled your brake fluid, on a car its possible but almost impossible on a bike

Jimass

Eats Squid
NH_ = almost right.

You can boil your brakes on a bike, but you'd need a big arse hill.

Older fluid it's not hard. A bleed will do, you don't NEED dot 5.1, but you can have it if you want.

New fluid, I tend to think it'd be impossible as NH_ said,
unless you had a;
Big arse hill.

Last edited:

Viv92

Eats Squid
NH_ = almost right.

You can boil your brakes on a bike, but you'd need a big arse hill.

Older fluid it's not hard. A bleed will do, you don't NEED dot 5.1, but you can have it if you want.
:rolleyes:

Mate you won't be able to run dot fluid in Mineral oil brakes. Just replace with mineral oil.

holdenutes_93

Likes Dirt
Yeah I was a little surprised when I was told that I had boiled my brake fluid but thanks for your help, by the Viv92 I was just considering if it was worth purchasing some Avids that use DOT brake fluid but now it seems there is no point.

S.

ex offender
It is possible to boil brake fluid but you'd sure as hell know if you'd done it, because the next time you pulled the brakes they'd come straight to the bar. It is highly, highly unlikely.

Who told you it'd been boiled? There isn't any easy way to tell... fluid does get dirty from a number of things, such as the grease on the caliper piston seals, this is normal and isn't significantly detrimental to the brakes.

Jimass

Eats Squid
:rolleyes:

Mate you won't be able to run dot fluid in Mineral oil brakes. Just replace with mineral oil.
I know. What I ment was his enquiry into buying new brakes (Avid Juicy 5's). Sorry if it wasn't clear enough.

S. have you ever boiled a brake? Just wondering because it's scary when you go to stop and nothing happens.... Dirty oil.... I hate you!

S.

ex offender
I know. What I ment was his enquiry into buying new brakes (Avid Juicy 5's). Sorry if it wasn't clear enough.

S. have you ever boiled a brake? Just wondering because it's scary when you go to stop and nothing happens.... Dirty oil.... I hate you!
Not on a bike - the pads suffer heat fade to the point of uselessness before that happens. Have done it to car brakes though, which I suspect were about 50% water, and yes it's scary.

holdenutes_93

Likes Dirt
Well when I suddenly did pull on my brakes before a rock garden i had nothing at the front....I absolutely shat myself lol..........funny shit though. But I still don't think it was my brake fluid that was boiled, because even though I was on them a lot I wasn't riding at like 100kmph and yeah a mate told me about it.

Jimass

Eats Squid
Not on a bike - the pads suffer heat fade to the point of uselessness before that happens. Have done it to car brakes though, which I suspect were about 50% water, and yes it's scary.
Yes. I bought my bike from a fair shady person I think, Don't think the oil had been changed once.... Coming down channel ten the rear started to pull right into my knuckles... And yes, I think there was more water in there than oil.

Viv92

Eats Squid
Yes. I bought my bike from a fair shady person I think, Don't think the oil had been changed once.... Coming down channel ten the rear started to pull right into my knuckles... And yes, I think there was more water in there than oil.
Can't do that, as S. said... :rolleyes: You weren't suggesting he get new brakes with DOT fluid in them before either.