The Single Speed Thread

triples

Likes Dirt
yeah its not too bad, easily cruise around 35-40kph, until I hit a hill:p
can do cotter/uriarra on it but havnt been out there for a little while, having too much fun at stromlo on the redline:D

The funki 1

Likes Dirt
I was forced to run a single speed on my hardtail because my hangar broke and unbeknown to me it is IMPOSSIBLE to find hangars for my bike frame because of it's rarity. So i started with the DMR simple tension seeker and let me just say that i have fallen in love with Single speeds.

I did hate them when i was on the deralieur set up but my only regret now is that i have not got horizontal dropouts because the Simple tension seeker is a little dodgy...

Does anyone know how much it would cost for "Grip" to do a job like that?
(Change my frame to Horizontal dropouts)....:confused:

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
I also have a question..

In my contemplation and hessitation of making a fixie i decided Fixie was not going to happen.

SO now i have an old frame currently running SS with the old cassest finding the straightest chainline.

Anyway the wheels are deadbeat must be gone.

So im looking for a nice sturdy singlespeed 700C Road wheelset.
Budget: 200
So does anyone know where i could find such a set for me around sydney??? Help!

The funki 1

Likes Dirt
I also have a question..

In my contemplation and hessitation of making a fixie i decided Fixie was not going to happen.

SO now i have an old frame currently running SS with the old cassest finding the straightest chainline.

Anyway the wheels are deadbeat must be gone.

So im looking for a nice sturdy singlespeed 700C Road wheelset.
Budget: 200
So does anyone know where i could find such a set for me around sydney??? Help!
I will find out if i can get hold of somefrom the local velodrome tonight and if i can get hold of some i'll post them up to you....:) I'll show you some pics if they have some...

Pete W

Likes Dirt
Freewheel or cassette.....definately cassette you can get the chainline spot on, use Surly cogs and its all good.
Heres the latest from single speed hub from Aireal Australia, they are the bomb!!!!
http://www.airealaustralia.com/

SS_5.jpg

Heres my bike and I'm lov'n it

Carver 96er single speed.jpg

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was forced to run a single speed on my hardtail because my hangar broke and unbeknown to me it is IMPOSSIBLE to find hangars for my bike frame because of it's rarity. So i started with the DMR simple tension seeker and let me just say that i have fallen in love with Single speeds.

I did hate them when i was on the deralieur set up but my only regret now is that i have not got horizontal dropouts because the Simple tension seeker is a little dodgy...

Does anyone know how much it would cost for "Grip" to do a job like that?
(Change my frame to Horizontal dropouts)....:confused:
You might also consider a White Industies eccentric hub.

tjb

Likes Dirt
You might also consider a White Industies eccentric hub.
I concur. I've been that impressed with the disc one I got that I had to get a second non disc version for my commuter singlespeed.

It is like the joy one feels when a magic gear is discovered, yet you get to run the gearing you want!

DarrenHunt

Likes Dirt
When my mum asked what i was going to do with my old mtb that i havnt ridden in years i said it was a project, as everyone does.

Its taken me some time to decide what to do with it, but the Single Speeders here at farkin have convinced me a single speed is a good option.

I've just painted it and decided to make it a single speed, seeing how far i can go on spare parts, a just a little $

Total $ spent = $75

I'll post it up when its done.

Hopefully i learn to love SS.

Thanks for the inspiration

On another note... How many of you single speeders, also ride geared bikes, roadies, fixies etc.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
My SStable

Surly 1x1 - The one that started it all. I walked into Cyclefantasy to buy a Singulator and ended up walking out with this about 3 weeks later. It's had a few changes over the few years (including a brief flirtation with suspension forks) but is now pretty much back to the original spec.

Baum Espresso - A dream bike. I started with the geometry of the 1x1
and raced it up a little. Since this photo was take, the useless CF bottle cage as gone (in favour of one that actually works) and has Goodrich brake lines added. This is a fast bike.

Surly Cross-Check. Born out of a bit of silliness as an idea for something to ride a 100km race on and double as a commuter. Quite possible the funnest bike ever.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Well, untill I sort out a dedicated SS frame (on a budget), I have decided to convert my trusty DJ bike (norco 1hun) into my SS bike.

Change of wheelset for my spare XC set, longer seat post and new seat, throw in my old XT cranks from my old DH bike and I'm off.

I'll stick a pick up tomorrow after I take a shot, but its looking OK, just a little heavy. But soon I will find me a frame to stick all the parts on.

Pete J

loves his dog
From this:

To this:

Spec is as follows...
Frame: late 80's Peugeot PG10, Reynolds 501
Forks: stock, Reynolds 501
Wheels: Profile BMX racing hubs, 16 tooth sprocket, laced onto Rigida Nova rims, DT spokes
Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Slick 700 x 30
Cranks: Stronglight, 42 tooth chainring
BB: Stronglight
Pedals: MKS with MKS half clips
Headset: Stronglight, needle bearings
Stem: Cinelli
Handlebar: Sakae titanium, ODI lock grips
Brakes: Miche calipers with no-name bmx levers
Seatpost: Stronglight
Seat: SDG Belair

Weighs a tad under 10kgs, although not exactly sure of correct weight.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here is my single speed:

Before:

It was a frame that was picked up as a cheap commuter. A 1998 Research Dynamocs". It fitted so well that it became my main off road bike. So it was eventually sent off to Grip to get the single speed conversion, and a nice black powder coat.

After:

This buildup is inspired by the "Clunkers" with the 45 degree sweep of the bars, cruiser grips, fat tyres, bmx top tube pad cover to act as cable routing and flat pedals for fun.

I have usually have it built up with some retro Marzocchi z2 BAMs, clipless pedals xc tyres and all for racing and enduros. This is just for a bit of fun at the moment.

Last edited:

rossB

Cannon Fodder
Hi, here is my single, my old apollo was in need of some TLC, great commuter and just a good bike to get around on. :D